SM Hudson open day

Featured Posts

If it's the one I think it is, it went on brokerage at Braunston about a week after I purchased Albion. I also saw it in the marina there during the Historic Boat show I think. Lovely looking boat and if I hadn't have bought Albion I am sure I would have bought Daniel instead.

Yes I am fairly sure we looked at Daniel too, in Braunston. It is a nice looking boat, but the internal layout was in need of a complete rethink, as far as my management was concerned.

Mind you, I would say the same of the 3 Hudson boats we looked at too, either not enough accommodation or bathroom or kitchen, they felt like compromises

Edited by Stilllearning

If it's the one I think it is, it went on brokerage at Braunston about a week after I purchased Albion. I also saw it in the marina there during the Historic Boat show I think. Lovely looking boat and if I hadn't have bought Albion I am sure I would have bought Daniel instead.

Yes indeed, the chap did say that he'd bought the boat at Braunston a few months ago.

I would guess that she would have been more expensive than Albion.

So, finally escaped this morning at 10:30 after Friday night - beer tasting, then consuming a bottle of wine (each) with some friends awaiting Jeff to arrive (the flight was late so he pitched up at midnight). Sat morning - last minute hoovering, polishing and tidying prior to visitors. Unfortunately we were breasted up against Sarah Kay which is not only nearly new, but also owned by a fastidious polisher and so was absolutely spotless, making our boat look decidedly shabby.

It was hot hot hot but still we had quite a few folk on our boat. Ours is pretty plain and open plan inside unlike some of Steve's more exotic offerings with ancient engine lump and back cabins with no headroom, so its good for joe public to see the full spectrum of what he can do.

Sat evening, a fantastic barbecue with 5 barrels of beer, loads of wine etc all courtesy of Mr and Mrs Hudson, and very convivial it was too. We have made a lot of friends since we started going there and there is not a grumpy or unpleasant git anywhere to be found.

Sunday morning ... Mmmh, slightly hungover but at least here was no tidying and polishing to do. Slightly fewer punters but we still had a few, and a return visit from a very nice Australian chap who had brought a bottle of wine for each of the boats he had visited, which I thought was a very nice, though of course unnecessary, gesture.

Quite a few folk who seemed pretty serious and wanting to live aboard, but when we asked if they had had a boat before or even ever hired, the answer was no. We did our best to bring some rationality to them but not sure it worked.

Sunday evening one of the owners arranged a huge Chinese takeaway, we all chipped in a quid each so Mr and Mrs Hudson and their family would be treated. Lots of beer remaining so yet another boozy night - I crashed out at around 11 but Mr Hudson was doing his magic tricks and keeping everyone spellbound until at least midnight. He hadn't surfaced by the time we left so I think he had a good night too!

Altogether a most pleasant weekend (although I am going teetotal this week!) with the nicest folk. I do find it highly ironic that a thread about such a pleasant experience quickly slumps into a "Hudson boats are ugly as shit" kind of story. I do pity those whose lives are so miserable that all they can think about is the next person or thing they can empty their oversized containers of vitriol onto. Very sad.

Edited by nicknorman

So, finally escaped this morning at 10:30 after Friday night - beer tasting, then consuming a bottle of wine (each) with some friends awaiting Jeff to arrive (the flight was late so he pitched up at midnight). Sat morning - last minute hoovering, polishing and tidying prior to visitors. Unfortunately we were breasted up against Sarah Kay which is not only nearly new, but also owned by a fastidious polisher and so was absolutely spotless, making our boat look decidedly shabby.

It was hot hot hot but still we had quite a few folk on our boat. Ours is pretty plain and open plan inside unlike some of Steve's more exotic offerings with ancient engine lump and back cabins with no headroom, so its good for joe public to see the full spectrum of what he can do.

Sat evening, a fantastic barbecue with 5 barrels of beer, loads of wine etc all courtesy of Mr and Mrs Hudson, and very convivial it was too. We have made a lot of friends since we started going there and there is not a grumpy or unpleasant git anywhere to be found.

Sunday morning ... Mmmh, slightly hungover but at least here was no tidying and polishing to do. Slightly fewer punters but we still had a few, and a return visit from a very nice Australian chap who had brought a bottle of wine for each of the boats he had visited, which I thought was a very nice, though of course unnecessary, gesture.

Quite a few folk who seemed pretty serious and wanting to live aboard, but when we asked if they had had a boat before or even ever hired, the answer was no. We did our best to bring some rationality to them but not sure it worked.

Sunday evening one of the owners arranged a huge Chinese takeaway, we all chipped in a quid each so Mr and Mrs Hudson and their family would be treated. Lots of beer remaining so yet another boozy night - I crashed out at around 11 but Mr Hudson was doing his magic tricks and keeping everyone spellbound until at least midnight. He hadn't surfaced by the time we left so I think he had a good night too!

Altogether a most pleasant weekend (although I am going teetotal this week!) with the nicest folk. I do find it highly amusing that a thread about such a pleasant experience quickly slumps into a "Hudson boats are ugly as shit" kind of story. I do pity those whose lives are so miserable that all they can think about is the next person or thing they can empty their oversized containers of vitriol onto. Very sad.

Glad you had a good time but I do think you over egging the 'Hudson's are ugly slant'. You need to take things and yourself a bit less seriously me thinks.

Glad you had a good time but I do think you over egging the 'Hudson's are ugly slant'. You need to take things and yourself a bit less seriously me thinks.

Possibly, but if you did an analysis of the posts on this thread, whilst of course all threads inevitably drift, virtually none of them are about the event apart from mine, and there are quite a lot giving negative opinions about the boats or how another manufacturer's boats are so much better. In other words if you counted up the "positive posts" and the "negative posts", the latter would far outweigh the former. Which shows not so much the nature of Hudsons or their standing, but rather reflects on the nature of the majority of folk posting on here. I am not saying it is wrong or suggesting that it should changed, I am merely making an observation. One that I find a bit sad.

I do find it highly ironic that a thread about such a pleasant experience quickly slumps into a "Hudson boats are ugly as shit" kind of story. I do pity those whose lives are so miserable that all they can think about is the next person or thing they can empty their oversized containers of vitriol onto. Very sad.

It seems a bit daft to start a thread about marmite, and then complain when some people express their opinions about marmite.

(I quite like marmite, but prefer it without added lumps)

I was hoping other forum members who were at the Hudson owners event would have contributed to this thread. I do wonder if they are put off by Nicks' anti-Hudsonophobic comments. I know there's nothing like getting your retaliation in first, it's become a very tired joke now

Richard

Possibly, but if you did an analysis of the posts on this thread, whilst of course all threads inevitably drift, virtually none of them are about the event apart from mine, and there are quite a lot giving negative opinions about the boats or how another manufacturer's boats are so much better. In other words if you counted up the "positive posts" and the "negative posts", the latter would far outweigh the former. Which shows not so much the nature of Hudsons or their standing, but rather reflects on the nature of the majority of folk posting on here. I am not saying it is wrong or suggesting that it should changed, I am merely making an observation. One that I find a bit sad.

Find it as sad as you wish, however you yourself invited Mickey taking even in you opening post. I suggest if you cant take it don't invite it. And what you said above is completely different to your 'ugly as' comment. Nothing in this thread as referred to them being as 'Ugly as s***', some people just don't like them including their appearance so what? as you say the man is clearly doing something right given his success and build numbers.

People take the pee out of pram hoods, semi trads, bus windows, cratch covers, all of the time on here, all of which our boat has, I find it's best nowadays not to take the bait and let people get on with it or just join in, you however do the latter but then complain when you don't like what people say, you cant have it both ways Nick sorry.

It seems a bit daft to start a thread about marmite, and then complain when some people express their opinions about marmite.

(I quite like marmite, but prefer it without added lumps)

Well it wasn't exactly about marmite, more about a marmite-tasting weekend experience (subtle difference). Yes of course people are entitled to their opinions, but people with decorum don't necessarily express them freely and repeatedly. We see some pretty ugly boats on the cut but its "good morning, I like your (flowers/ paintwork / dog)" etc. It's not "good morning, but my god, your boat is ugly as shit isn't it!"

Anyway, I'm sure people will continue to express said opinions but that just makes them not very nice people, which is no problem for me because I don't have to encounter them for real, or if I do, I will chug off in the other direction in our beautiful boat and leave them bobbing about in their pool of negativity.

... Is this weekend, we shall have Telemachus there enjoying the company of like minded members of the Hudson owners clique. Not a real rivet in sight thank god! All welcome to look around the boats in various stages of build + completed ones. You get free tea /coffee / bikkies but have to bring your own butler.

So, this is a balanced, reasonable and open post, is it? Not against non-Hudson owners, rivetted boat owners, or people who are not affluent enough to afford a butler

I know there's a strong element of piss-taking in there, you really do set yourself up to have the piss taken in return

Richard

Edited by RLWP

anti-Hudsonophobic

Now there's a new-coined word! Logically it would mean "against people who are afraid of Hudsons". I don't think anyone has actually admired to being frightened of them.

I was hoping other forum members who were at the Hudson owners event would have contributed to this thread. I do wonder if they are put off by Nicks' anti-Hudsonophobic comments. I know there's nothing like getting your retaliation in first, it's become a very tired joke now

Richard

No, with very few exceptions the other owners (and all those present) aren't into the forum. Those that might, just see it as an anti-Hudson site and are put off ever posting about anything, although a few do read. You have to bear in mind that there are 30,000(?) boaters (more, if they have partners) and maybe 100 regular posters on here? So the probability of another Hudson owner being bothered with this site is pretty low. Anyway, if you find my jokes tiresome you are absolutely not obliged to read them.

Oh, just one more (non- Hudson-related one), very very old (as in my schooldays) that I recounted on Sat night and NO-ONE had heard it before, and there was raucous laughter.

Q: How do you tell the difference between a weasel and a stoat?

A: Well, a weasel is weasily recognised, but a stoat is stoatally different.

Ok, maybe they were just being polite (Hudson owners are a very polite bunch!).

Now there's a new-coined word! Logically it would mean "against people who are afraid of Hudsons". I don't think anyone has actually admired to being frightened of them.

Phobic can also mean "have an aversion to" which I think is probably more realistic in this context.

I thought this was unnecessary:

If he did, you would have a valid point but thank god they josher-STYLE (whatever that means) and not a real josher, requiring, as they do, gunge to be inserted into the hull on a regular basis to stop them sinking. Oh and having no significant cabin space, a smokey noisy engine without even satellite tv, central heating and tumble drier. Who on earth would buy a boat like that? The seller "saw them coming"!

And I honestly think that this is what most of your anti-Hudson stuff is about:

But we had no great difficulty as a pair of poofs wanting maple instead of oak inside

Surprise, surprise, you are not the only gays on the canal! Not being subjected to homophobic comments, you seem to have created Hudsonphobia and accuse yourself of being subjected to it

I thought this was the lowest point in this thread:

Anyway, now safely ensconced in the mother-basin's womb surrounded by ... You guessed it - lots of SMH boats and their convivial owners, with not a skank-boat in sight. And feeling mellow after a few pints of his fine beer!

I don't know if I own a skank-boat as it seems that you own the definition, Nick. Either way, it's offensive and unnecessary

So, if you cop a load of crap about Hudson boats in your threads, it seems to be you invite it

Richard

• Greenie 2

So, this is a balanced, reasonable and open post, is it? Not against non-Hudson owners, rivetted boat owners, or people who are not affluent enough to afford a butler

I know there's a strong element of piss-taking in there, you really do set yourself up to have the piss taken in return

Richard

Yes of course, but I guarantee that if I had made a serious non-teasing intro post, the outcome would have been exactly the same. As you said earlier, better to get in first when faced with the inevitable. And for clarity I naturally expect and get some teasing in return. But there is a big difference between a bit of teasing and serious negativity.

Yes of course, but I guarantee that if I had made a serious non-teasing intro post, the outcome would have been exactly the same.

How about trusting the other forum members and giving it a try?

Richard

I thought this was unnecessary:

And I honestly think that this is what most of your anti-Hudson stuff is about:

Surprise, surprise, you are not the only gays on the canal! Not being subjected to homophobic comments, you seem to have created Hudsonphobia and accuse yourself of being subjected to it

I thought this was the lowest point in this thread:

I don't know if I own a skank-boat as it seems that you own the definition, Nick. Either way, it's offensive and unnecessary

So, if you cop a load of crap about Hudson boats in your threads, it seems to be you invite it

Richard

Ah well, clearly your sense of humour is different from mine (you do have one, don't you?).

How about trusting the other forum members and giving it a try?

Richard

Ok.

Yes. I keep it in a box under the bed

Richard

Next to the universe you're creating?

But there is a big difference between a bit of teasing and serious negativity.

You have a type of boat (fake riveted mock josher) that some people don't like so you are bound to get both a bit of light-hearted teasing and the odd serious negative comment.

Having spent the past 10 years on this forum banging on about wooden boats I too get (and join in with) a bit of light-hearted teasing and the odd serious negative comment.

I suppose if I banged on specifically about Nursers, rather than wooden boats in general, I could have expected the more targeted mickey-taking that you have invited.

I also suppose if I had compared the wooden knacker mickey-taking to the Holocaust or Homophobia I could have expected the piss taking to come thicker and stronger.

Edited by carlt

Yes indeed, the chap did say that he'd bought the boat at Braunston a few months ago.

I would guess that she would have been more expensive than Albion.

The asking price was £3k more than Albion iirc at the time, not that I'd have paid it, and not that I paid the asking price for Albion either.

Now unless my mind is playing tricks on me, Daniel was originally up for about £35k give or take, and remained unsold for many months. I think they knocked about £4k off the asking price and it went under offer within days.

I was hoping other forum members who were at the Hudson owners event would have contributed to this thread.

And here I am :) I heard of the event via this thread and being fairly local, popped down for a look.

Glad I did too. Not a Hudson fan really, I went mainly for the chance to see boats in various stages of build, having never seen anything but completed boats before. There were six partly fitted-out shells that I was able to have a good look round. They were all at different stages so were a great guide to fitting out a boat - which is what I'd hoped to learn. I spent over an hour on these, & the day would have been worth it just for that.

Other than the six 'company' boats, the basin was full of privately owned Hudsons which the owners were happy to show people round. As it happened, I didn't actually have to ask anyone to look round their boat - plenty of them invited me aboard. They were clearly proud of their craft, and rightly so. Their boats seemed well built. Nothing too special, but everything seemed right. Decent joinery, not outstanding but workmanlike and definitely fit for purpose.

What was particularly noticeable was the care that people took with the upkeep of their boats. Some of the boats I looked at were well into their late teens but were indistinguishable from new. So, my day out didn't leave me wanting to slot into St Steve's build schedule, but it did leave me seriously thinking about a used one if the price was right. As long as it didn't have any rivets :)

By the way... I have to say what a lovely bunch of people they were. From chatting, they were from many backgrounds. Everyone I met was welcoming and a pleasure to be with.