Gloucester to the Midlands, River Severn in one day?

Tiller Trash

Featured Posts

I will (as long as things go to plan) be travelling by narrowboat from Gloucester to the Midlands soon. I planned a route on canalplan.org but it's wanting me to stop overnight on the river. I'd rather get the stretch on the River Severn over in the first day. Can you tell me if this is do-able? It's saying to leave the River Severn at the Diglis junction.

(I'm hoping nearer the time to get someone experienced to help me for the river stretch, after reading about difficulties getting onto and off of the river!)

Gloucester to Worcester in one day is do'able but it is a full day, so take into account the Severn Locks opening hours, as you need to do through Diglis lock in Worcester just before you get off the river so you need to be able to get there while the lock is still open.

Also check out your date of travel against the River Severn tides to make certain that you will be able to do the Gloucester to Upper Lode section when you want to, that section is semi-tidal, ie the high tide over top the weirs.

There is no problem getting on and off the river in that direction.

As you say you'll be travelling "soon", I presume that'll be at a time when the river's fairly calm. But be aware that at other times of year, when the river's up, the current can seriously slow you down. We were doing 1.5mph up the Partings in Gloucester earlier this year with the engine working pretty hard, and as a result decided to overnight at Tewkesbury rather than pressing on to Diglis.

In terms of "difficulties getting onto and off the river", you should be fine going upstream. Make sure you leave Gloucester Lock with a fair amount of revs, but in practice I've never heard of anyone being swept backwards towards the weir. (Heading downstream, on the other hand, a few people do miss the lock entrance every year.) At Upper Lode Lock, have the lock-keeper's number to hand (01684 293138) in case he doesn't see you coming. Going onto the W&B at Diglis is easy... just watch for "helpful" people who open the second lock-gate when you can get in perfectly well through one!

Edited by Richard Fairhurst

Also be aware that there is dredging going on in Gloucester docks (they are going to be making a film, it's rumoured that it's Pirates ...).

This means that the times of locking from the Docks to the Severn are being restricted - see http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/1336/dredging-in-gloucester-docks

Just in case you want to know, and way off topic, the film is now being named as "Through the looking glass" (Jonny Depp). Starts filming 18th august.

Alternatively there a few good overnight stops with pubs including Ashleworth, Haw Bridge (our favourite), the Coal House, and Lower Lode, between Gloucester and Tewkesbury. Then you have a short easy run up to Worcester the next day.

Just in case you want to know, and way off topic, the film is now being named as "Through the looking glass" (Jonny Depp). Starts filming 18th august.

Errrmmmm.... maybe I'll delay a bit, chance to see Johnny Depp would be well worth it!

Alternatively there a few good overnight stops with pubs including Ashleworth, Haw Bridge (our favourite), the Coal House, and Lower Lode, between Gloucester and Tewkesbury. Then you have a short easy run up to Worcester the next day.

I read somewhere about not mooring overnight due to tides. Have I read that totally wrong then?

I read somewhere about not mooring overnight due to tides. Have I read that totally wrong then?

That would be true on the section upto Upper Lode if there were tides (and perhaps not all of it even then), there are not that many that are high enough to overtop the weirs, I don't believe there have been any for the last 3 months or so, but I think there are some in August. I looked it up on the web for our trips down in Juneand back in July, but you can always phone Upper Lode lock. When are you planning on traveling? Edited by john6767

Gloucester lock will not let you out if the river is 'wrong', Spring tides, heavy rain in Wales three days before.

Going against the flow is hard work for the engine, but it will do it good burn off all the muck. wink.png

Just do some engine checks etc. oil, water levels and fuel, weed hatch before you go.

The restrictions at the moment are because the dock is being 'dredged' well they are disturbing the bottom and flushing it out of the lock.

opening times are 8 to 9, 12 to 1 and 4 to 5 but only weekdays, weekends are normal but may be restricted if there are problems with the dredging.

I left Gloucester Docks a few weeks back at 8am and tied up in Worcester on the floating pontoon visitor moorings in the afternoon, I was going to stop at Upton but it was full. I had a chat with the lock keeper in Gloucester before leaving to check the tides, I also used http://www.riverlevels.info/river-severn-gloucester-gloucester-severn to keep an eye on the levels before setting out.

I've moored at all of those. There's another too whose name I've forgotten. Haw Bridge and Lower Lode are both on floating pontoons so it doesn't make any difference if the river goes up or down or even becomes tidal. Going down there again this weekend and back up at the end of next week.

Going against the flow is hard work for the engine, but it will do it good burn off all the muck. wink.png

Going against the flow is hard work for the engine, and it will be bad coz it will stir up all the muck in the diesel tank.

Jusss sayin'... !

MtB

Hi trishI would say don't be afraid of the river you will be well looked after by the lock keepers and it's really not as scary as some will have you think and gets calmer and nicer as you leave gloucester ,if you have time I would stop at Tewkesbury or upton for the night as they are both worth a visit with easy moorings by the start of day two you won't be able to wait to get back on the river I saw an otter on the river swimming by the motorway bridge just past Tewkesbury last year ,i was shitting bricks when I went out there first time but I love it now just listen to the lockies advice make sure you have there phone numbers available from them an anchor and a life jacket and enjoy it one last thing if your worried wait in gloucester dock and go up with a group of others there is normally someone going up and quite a few on the weekends good luck

Going against the flow is hard work for the engine, and it will be bad coz it will stir up all the muck in the diesel tank.

Jusss sayin'... !

MtB

Why will it stir up the muck in the tank?

I don't know why people think the river between Lower Load and Gloucester is bad, even when coming down on it on a falling spring tide its nowhere near as bad as some of the other rivers that you can take a narrow boat on...

You should have no difficulty on the Severn. The lock out from Gloucester docks is CRT operated - you will need to check times with the lock keeper.

There are pontoons at both Diglis (Worcester) and Stourport. Suggest you moor up overnight at Worcester.

I've moored at all of those. There's another too whose name I've forgotten. Haw Bridge and Lower Lode are both on floating pontoons so it doesn't make any difference if the river goes up or down or even becomes tidal. Going down there again this weekend and back up at the end of next week.

The one I'd forgotten was the Yew Tree Inn opposite Deerhurst. A slightly wobbly but perfectly satisfactory floating pontoon, we've never stopped here before so decided to stop and try it. We got a friendly welcome so we've booked in for dinner tonight.

The one I'd forgotten was the Yew Tree Inn opposite Deerhurst. A slightly wobbly but perfectly satisfactory floating pontoon, we've never stopped here before so decided to stop and try it. We got a friendly welcome so we've booked in for dinner tonight.

Often passed it by but never stopped. Hope the food is good.

I noticed that the pub at Ashleworth is up for sale.

The filming at Glos docks starts on 18th Aug, so limited lock hours.

Yes the food was excellent. Massive portions too, and some excellent beer to wash it down with. It'll definitely be on our 'must stop here' list in future, particularly as Lower Lode and Haw Bridge both seem to have acquired a permanent boat at each end of the mooring with only about a 60ft gap in each case.