Leeds Bandit Country

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

Set out with trepidation from Rodley to Leeds today, having the lock keeper at Newlay spending the whole of the transit through the three rise telling us of the actions of the local scroats and it being a police no go area didn't help!

Fortunately the weather was crap which kept the locals at home.

At Kirkstall lock we found a bag of suspicious white powder which we placed on the back deck, what were the chances of being apprehended in this weather.

Thinking that we had got away with any problems we rounded the corner at Armley to see the towpath packed with police so I jokingly said 'have you found a body' to which the constable said "yes, two days ago". There was a handcuffed man in prison garb with them pointing out places to which we made our own conclusions.

The powder went overboard soon after!

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

So. If you found something you thought was an amount of drugs lying around you would just leave it for, perhaps, some kids to find and probably make themselves extremely ill or even kill themselves rather than dispose of it in a sensible and safe manor would you?

Anonymous for same reason as spotting a body first off you become a suspected criminal & then are told do not leave the area we may want to question you again.

Edited by b0atman

Anonymous for same reason as spotting a body first off you become a suspected criminal & then are told do not leave the area we may want to question you again.

Daiboy actually called me stupid. But, to clarify it was a small bag of stuff. Not really worth a hoo ha. I disposed of it. End of.

I would have thought that the right thing to do with the bag of powder is to pick it up carefully and call the police to ask them what they want you to do with it.

On discovering a body you report to the police and follow their instructions.

Are we not all in the business of supporting the police in whatever way we can?

N

we did the Rodley to Leeds sprint, and everything was fine. Coming back some local kids were swimming in a lock, but I chatted to them, they moved out the way while we went through, and then continued to swim and jump when we left.

Probably because you were leaving the chambers full, the lock keeper told us that the kids get stroppy when the chambers are left empty thus difficult to swim in.

Tim

My darling first born is starting attending Leeds University in September. I keep hearing/reading stuff like this. My other precious baby has just completed her first year at Nottingham Trent uni. I keep hearing scare stories about Nottingham too. No wonder I don't sleep well at night! Somebody tell me its not as bad as it sounds!

My darling first born is starting attending Leeds University in September. I keep hearing/reading stuff like this. My other precious baby has just completed her first year at Nottingham Trent uni. I keep hearing scare stories about Nottingham too. No wonder I don't sleep well at night! Somebody tell me its not as bad as it sounds!

Every city and town has it's dodgy areas.

We came along that stretch of canal three weeks ago, apart from being a bit cold and damp it was perfectly pleasant, and we had no warnings offered about 'bandit country' or whatever. It was a weekday, and not school holidays, and less than wonderful weather. There were a few interested people hanging around and pushing gates for us at the last few locks down into Leeds centre, no hint of anything dodgy.

The alleged murder seems to have been a 'domestic' that got out of hand, could happen anywhere.

I did my degree at Leeds University, never the slightest hint of troubles, but it was 45 years ago!

Tim

Leeds is great.

The only thing wrong, as far as my other half is concerned is the lack of a Lakeland and a John Lewis. The latter is being addressed as I type.

Bob

Somebody tell me its not as bad as it sounds!

Its not as bad as it sounds.

There you go!

I have to confess that if I saw a small package with powder in it, I would call the Police and let them deal with it. I mean sort it out, not 'deal' with it. I mean .............

I have found loads of various packages of what I think were drugs over the years, all based on my job. I used to lock everything in a filing cabinet in my office and call the local SNT when it got to a sizeable amount.

This, I was told was strictly speaking illegal but seemed to be deemed a common sense approach by Shepherds bush's finest.

I would pick it up and hand it in or wash it down the drain personally.