cutting logs

Featured Posts

I'm with Jim Riley on that one - rather a knackered chainsaw than knackered prospects, every time.

Reread my post please.

BTW, not to say they don't exist but I've never seen a pair of chainsaw trousers that would protect the family jewels.

Edited by John Holden

If you are too old to use a hand saw then you are too old to recover well from an attempted amputation so the kevlar is essential. I had a 14" McCulloch some years ago -OK when it worked buy two chains for a full days work, sharpen them both afterwards.

If you use electricity then you need power to hand on site, if you use two stroke then you must make up the mix correctly and preferably run the engine out of fuel before stopping work and make only the fuel that you will use in one day, (yes you will need a syringe for measuring tiny amounts of oil).

Hah! "I had to change the chain after about eight years." - we change ours about every hour when cutting trees down! We have 4 chains - 1 to start with, 3 spares.

How to sharpen chainsaw chains - there is one good video on Youtube. I have learned how to sharpen chains but last year had two sharpened by hand in a shop, 3 Pounds/chain and their results were better than mine.

A new chain will tear through wood like a hot knife through butter, ripping out long threads of raw wood.

A new chain costs about 11 Pounds.

Don't buy toys like the rubbish they sell in Lidl, or electric chainsaws - something like a Stihl or Husqvarna 246 petrol is the way to go.

Safety trousers = nonsense; chainsaws are NOT at all dangerous if you just cut downwards, always one stick at a time, never two (no matter how thin).

A helmet with ear protectors and a visor is essential - the stuff just flies into your face.

Never lift a chain saw above your head!

seriously?

i mean really?

i have worked as a climber and ground worker for a good few years (too many to count) and would never advise someone that

1, chainsaws are not dangerous

2, don't buy the right gear

by all means buy a chainsaw and use it as you like but i don't want to be any where near you when you do.

Chainsaws even when used by a trained experienced professional are dangerous, as are many tools, lean how to use it and maintain it properly and i would strongly advise use of the proper safety gear, it works it really does and if an accident happens chainsaws are not very forgiving

If you do all the above a chainsaw is a tool to be used and treated with respect.

in fact if the OP wants a free pair of trousers and is on or around the Coventry Canal i have a pair he can have

I use one of these, its needs both hands on the handles and will 'bite' up to 4 inch diameter chunks....granted it wont do the big stuff but so much less scary

black-decker-alligator-lopper-30-p.jpg

That thing looks scarier to me than a regular chain saw, just because of the way you would have to bend way over to use it and your face would be awful close to your work.

All this talk of sharpeners and files is so yesterday get a dremmal with a chain sharpening attachment they are brilliant I sharpen both the big 20" sthil and the 16" one from blunt in around 15 mins I used to pay £7 a time to get each one done professionally and the dremmal attachment cost a tenner it's the nuts

It only takes me about 15 mins with the file. A dremmel seems like a waste of money to do this job, unless you're really doing it very often or using it for other jobs too.

Edited by blackrose

Sorry, I thought we were talking about using chainsaws to cut branches/logs for firewood, not for dancing.

I do indeed have ye very thick chainsaw trousers and usually have them on just in case, but if you use a chainsaw as it is supposed to be used, then it's impossible for it to slip and slide and suddenly lurch away from you chasing you round the towpath and aimed specifically at Family Jewels.

I'll make a note for meself to avoid other boaty folk brandishing chainsaws thinking they are Borgs from Star Trek :)

Emerald Fox, on 15 Jul 2014 - 9:58 PM, said:

Sorry, I thought we were talking about using chainsaws to cut branches/logs for firewood, not for dancing.

I do indeed have ye very thick chainsaw trousers and usually have them on just in case, but if you use a chainsaw as it is supposed to be used, then it's impossible for it to slip and slide and suddenly lurch away from you chasing you round the towpath and aimed specifically at Family Jewels.

I'll make a note for meself to avoid other boaty folk brandishing chainsaws thinking they are Borgs from Star Trek smile.png

no its not otherwise why have i seen cuts and injury's on some of my co workers legs and arms and why do we all wear the required kit, they can and do kickback, they can and do throw the chain, you can also slip whilst using one.

as i said before i am happy for you to use the saw as you see fit but please do not tell inexperienced users they are all cuddly and safe because they are not

....but if you use a chainsaw as it is supposed to be used, then it's impossible for it to slip...

I wonder if you have ever heard the expression "Accidents will happen"?

I happen not to own a pair of chainsaw trousers, but perhaps I should because one never knows what could happen - even if it's used as it's supposed to be..

Edited by blackrose

I'll make a note for meself to avoid other boaty folk brandishing chainsaws thinking they are Borgs from Star Trek smile.png

Sorry, but you do post some bloody dangerous rubbish.

All the accidents that I have heard of locally have been to professional timber fellers, all employed by the FC, all doing this for their living, normally taking out trees that their machines can't get to for some reason.

Sorry, but you do post some bloody dangerous rubbish.

All the accidents that I have heard of locally have been to professional timber fellers, all employed by the FC, all doing this for their living, normally taking out trees that their machines can't get to for some reason.

Almost certainly not directly employed by the FC and having to work double hard and cut as many corners as possible to make a living.

There is absolutely no comparison with somebody going out to cut a bit of firewood.

For those who are genuinely interested have a look at this:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/treework/statistics/forestry.htm

However, these figures are industry related, and to the best of my knowledge do not include deaths or injuries to DIYers working at home etc.

I do know that following the big storm which we had in the south of England in 1990 (January 26th) that there was a massive spike in the number of chainsaw / logging related serious injuries.

The vast majority of these involved non professionals.

As a result a good number of plant and tool hire companies changed their policy on rental of chainsaws.

Forestry is consistently rated as one of the most dangerous jobs in the UK. Depending on which statistics you read it comes behind Deep Sea Diving and Trawlerman.

Chainsaws are potentially lethal, in any hands, and I fail to understand the big dick mentality of those of you who have such scant regard for your safety.

Wind blown trees are widow makers, they'll sometimes catch the most experienced fallers out.The thought of DIY ers tackling them fills me with dread.

There are many tools that are potentially lethal in any hands, the angle grinder personally fills me with dread, I'd feel much safer on the end of a chainsaw but then I am ATB trained with many years of experience under my belt. I've never injured my self with a saw.

The people that I've known who have have one thing in common, they did something stupid and ignored the risk they took.

Oh, and as I've already mentioned, there are no chainsaw trousers that will protect your dick, big or otherwise.

If you are going out to chop a bit of firewood, do so with care but without fear. If you are going out to fell wind blow, don't.

By likening the work of professionals to the guy going out to cut a bit of firewood is like likening your drive down to the shops to formula one racing cars.

As an amateur I wore out two small, light, 14" bar, 2T petrol chainsaws in ~18 years. Logging up to 10 tons of logs per year and felling a few 9" diameter trees (all of which fell exactly as I planned) and cutting up one fallen, four foot diameter rotten beech.

I had one serious accident; I slippped when sharpening the chain and gouged my hand, always wore thick, leather gloves after that.

A few near misses:

I was standing on top of that 70' beech tree cutting four foot lengths from the top end - eventually the root ball was heavy enough to return the remaining twenty feet to vertical with me, running saw in hand on top of it.

The peak of my hard-hat had the impression of the hot fins of the engine - minor kick-back when cutting overhead.

I roped a fir tree high up to ensure that it landed within a narrow garden but one of my two assistants misunderstood my brief, pulled hard and spoiled my slow fell.

Of course, cutting small logs on a solid saw horse on level ground is less hazardous than felling trees but the repetitive nature of the task and fatigue may result in careless mistakes.

If you cannot cut logs with a decent bow saw or swing an axe I also doubt you could safely use a chainsaw. There are/were courses available that teach you how to minimise the risks and maintain the chain, bar, engine and safety devices.

Alan

Almost any power tool can either kill or maim but that doesn't mean an amateur should not use them. As I said much earlier, Buy quality, wear proper protective gear and I'll add....just be bloody careful, think about what you are doing first.

A BIG SORRY guys didn't realise my simple question would create so much argument. As I was having trouble cutting SMALL logs/branches someone suggested a chain saw, I would never have considered one BEFORE asking advice on here. I've taken 'on board' all the comments & decided not to go down that 'root' many thanks for all the replies.

A BIG SORRY guys didn't realise my simple question would create so much argument. As I was having trouble cutting SMALL logs/branches someone suggested a chain saw, I would never have considered one BEFORE asking advice on here. I've taken 'on board' all the comments & decided not to go down that 'root' many thanks for all the replies.

shame...the alligator lopper I suggested is incredibly safe and superb for small logs and branches, it 'bites' chunks like going through butter and the guards protect the blade. Both hands are needed to operate it so fingers (or other precious parts!) are nowhere near the action

Borg outfit not included.... laugh.png

Edited by Chagall

It only takes me about 15 mins with the file. A dremmel seems like a waste of money to do this job, unless you're really doing it very often or using it for other jobs too.

. There are many chainsaw users here many with a lot more experience than me that know this to be totally untrue you may be able to run a file over the teeth in fifteen minutes but to bring two chains back from blunt with a file is over an hours work minimum ,I do use the dremmal for lots of small jobs so had one anyway the chain sharpener is just another string to its bow and after using it I would never go back ,when I,m out logging through the winter I may have to stop and re sharpen the chains three or four times a day and this is not an option with a file before I had the sharpener I always had to take spare chains out for a days logging but not now

I'm sorry, I was out of order comparing what an amateur might do alongside a pro saw user. When I was working I used a saw 40 or fifty hours a week and, depending on the wood I was cutting might get through a chain in a week.

BTW, a blunt chain is a dangerous chain, better to sharpen little and often than high days and holidays.

I suspect he was not stood on the ground logging?

. John there's know need to be sorry until I used the chain sharpener I would of doubted it to ,if there was a negative to it it's probably that I get through a chain a bit quicker as it removes a bit more metal than a hand file and I probably sharpen the saws a lot more than I did when I used a file oh and totally agree about keeping it sharp all the time rather than bringing them back from blunt but when I first got the gadget I had a couple of chains that I thought were to far gone to re use and it was these that were back to as new sharpness within 15 mins

My suggestion would be to avoid posting in the General Boating section, which seems to be the main arena for arguments.