cutting logs

Featured Posts

Sorry, I thought we were talking about using chainsaws to cut branches/logs for firewood, not for dancing.

I do indeed have ye very thick chainsaw trousers and usually have them on just in case, but if you use a chainsaw as it is supposed to be used, then it's impossible for it to slip and slide and suddenly lurch away from you chasing you round the towpath and aimed specifically at Family Jewels.

I'll make a note for meself to avoid other boaty folk brandishing chainsaws thinking they are Borgs from Star Trek smile.png

OFFS!!!!!!!

Have you bothered to read anything about the accidents that have happened to professionals?

Aren't trolls supposed to come from Scandinavia?

What if? what if? ive had a mobile for years as every body else , and never had a no signal(Vodafone), the chance of me or anyone else cutting theirselves and miraculously not having a signal are nil. Your mobile can save your life BUDDY!

Try working in the Hafren Forest.

No mobile signal from any supplier!

Try working in the Hafren Forest.

No mobile signal from any supplier!

I don't doubt you for a minute, but if I was working in the middle of a forest it would be highly unlikely I would be on my own. Now,if I was cutting logs up on the towpath or garden then I could quite easily be on my own, in which case a mobile could save my life.

More people drive than use chainsaws. I use an electric one, and don't wear safety gear, however I am damn careful. I find cutting with a table saw far more frightening and dangerous and no safety gear can do a great deal if you fall on one of them buggers.

I have been given a chainsaw. I've serviced it, got it going when it wasn't before, and without much thought, thought it a good addition to my set of tools for the winter.

I'm frightened to death of it. I think to either burn just coal as MtB suggests, or fork out on some good seasoned logs that some else has taken the risk cutting is the way to go.

Goodbye chainsaw. Been nice knowing you.

Mr Clumsie.

Martyn

Edit. Anyone want a macAllister chainsaw.?

Edited by Nightwatch

Stihl Chainsaw helmet with visor and earmuffs, £35,leather chainsaw gloves, £5, rigger boots steel toes £20,sthil kevlar chaps £50. Combined gas and electricity bills for 3 bed semi per annum circa £350/400, all kit paid for first winter. Money saved and jewels safe!

I use a chain sharpener, first one was a silverline, ok but it has a tiny drivebelt that can't be replaced, latest is a direct drive wheel, cost me £35 works fine.

One tip I was told, when putting saw down simply shove the chain brake with back of hand to lock it.

Husqvarna chainsaw manual has useful safety guidelines, available to download.

I'm no expert, haven't done a course, but chop and burn 7 - 10 cu metres of wood a year, hopefully safely. Also happy to learn....

Apply the chain brake whenever the saw is not cutting is what I was told. If you out it down kill the engine.

I think half the time people pick up a chainsaw because they have never used a good quality bow saw with a clean (not rusty) sharp good quality blade. You really can do a lot of firewood with a bow saw quite easily. Not as fast as a chainsaw, obviously but massively cheaper and pretty safe.

I actually think it may be illegal to operate a chainsaw on the towpath anyway - happy to be corrected on that

It is possible to slice a hole in your neck with a bow saw but it is fairly tricky. Being quite quiet you are also less likely to be startled by cyclists or dogs, something which could interrupt the concentration leading to amputation if it was a chainsaw.

Apply the chain brake whenever the saw is not cutting is what I was told. If you out it down kill the engine.

I think half the time people pick up a chainsaw because they have never used a good quality bow saw with a clean (not rusty) sharp good quality blade. You really can do a lot of firewood with a bow saw quite easily. Not as fast as a chainsaw, obviously but massively cheaper and pretty safe.

I actually think it may be illegal to operate a chainsaw on the towpath anyway - happy to be corrected on that

It is possible to slice a hole in your neck with a bow saw but it is fairly tricky. Being quite quiet you are also less likely to be startled by cyclists or dogs, something which could interrupt the concentration leading to amputation if it was a chainsaw.

Never cut myself with a chainsaw but gave myself a really nasty cut with a bow saw!

John Holden, on 20 Jul 2014 - 8:42 PM, said:

Never cut myself with a chainsaw but gave myself a really nasty cut with a bow saw!

I have to say the same my self and these buggers demanded a blood sacrifice every time i took one out of the scabbard

http://www.silkyfox.co.uk/sheathedsaws.html

amazing tools though

even so i would never advocate using a chainsaw without the correct PPE thoughglare.gif

I have to say the same my self and these buggers demanded a blood sacrifice every time i took one out of the scabbard

http://www.silkyfox.co.uk/sheathedsaws.html

amazing tools though

even so i would never advocate using a chainsaw without the correct PPE thoughglare.gif

I've never advocated anything, just suggested that somebody standing on firm ground and using a saw horse need not truss themselves up like a turkey. I have argued that wind-blows should be given a very wide berth by those without the experience, that anybody diving into thick undergrowth would be better off taking every precaution.

Accidents generally happen when people are either ill prepared mentally or complacent. Over protection breeds complacency.

Working on your own with a chainsaw, however well protected, s a big no-no. As is using a saw above chest height, or brashing with a chainsaw without leg protection.

In my book angle grinders are much more dangerous, as are circular saws, fixed or portable. Band saws rank pretty highly in the brown pants category, ever had a drill bit shatter-it goes off on a totally unpredictable course?

I've never advocated anything, just suggested that somebody standing on firm ground and using a saw horse need not truss themselves up like a turkey. I have argued that wind-blows should be given a very wide berth by those without the experience, that anybody diving into thick undergrowth would be better off taking every precaution.

Accidents generally happen when people are either ill prepared mentally or complacent. Over protection breeds complacency.

Working on your own with a chainsaw, however well protected, s a big no-no. As is using a saw above chest height, or brashing with a chainsaw without leg protection.

In my book angle grinders are much more dangerous, as are circular saws, fixed or portable. Band saws rank pretty highly in the brown pants category, ever had a drill bit shatter-it goes off on a totally unpredictable course?

that was in no way meant as a dig at you and i am sorry you considered it as such

that was in no way meant as a dig at you and i am sorry you considered it as such

Sorry, I didn't particularly take it as a dig, I'm a bit bored having just got over man flu (aka a cold) I started off making the point that I had never advocated anything and then just sort of wandered off on one.

John Holden, on 20 Jul 2014 - 9:22 PM, said:

Sorry, I didn't particularly take it as a dig, I'm a bit bored having just got over man flu (aka a cold) I started off making the point that I had never advocated anything and then just sort of wandered off on one.

no problem, i always liked having an ex feller on my team, i could climb like a monkey but my felling was never top notch and watching a proper forester fell was always a joy, plus the day i first saw a forester sned out was the day i realized i would never make the grade in the woodsbiggrin.png

no problem, i always liked having an ex feller on my team, i could climb like a monkey but my felling was never top notch and watching a proper forester fell was always a joy, plus the day i first saw a forester sned out was the day i realized i would never make the grade in the woodsbiggrin.png

I could sit and watch climbers almost with tears in my eyes at the way they moved through the trees.

The ultimate, I think, was a greatly overweight bloke in his late fifties turning up in street clothes, strapping on a pair of climbing irons and without any strops or ropes or anything else, shooting about thirty feet straight up an Elm!

I was so taken with the idea of climbing that I went on a course. I was too old. I was still fit enough and strong enough but by then the self preservation instinct had kicked in and frankly it scared the living daylights out of me!

Never cut myself with a saw of any kind, and I've used them all. A cheese grater, on the other hand, draws blood at least 50% of the time I use them.