Front Fender

mark99

Featured Posts

If a Nb is used properly, that front fender takes some hammer. Wrapping a (free) tyre around it makes the fender last infinitely longer, and makes the locking experience safer as the boat rides up the front gate more smoothly. It is an old trick that has been used successfully by many canal boaters over many years, working and leisure alike. Think of it as a sacrificial anode for an expensive fender.

As an aside, many traditional NB fenders have a car tyre inside them.

But would you want to replace it every year when a free tyre (and a little work) will make it last many years?

Care to elaborate?

Care to elaborate?

Happy to.

By leaving the engine idling in forward gear, the front fender plays a role in riding up the front gates of a narrow lock whilst I work the paddles, open the gates etc. This method has been used for decades by working/non working boats alike (though not good in L&L wide locks etc.). I used to watch such activities as a kid. Alternatives include using ropes (I don't care for roping in locks, the only exception would be sharing a wide lock with a GRP/wooden boat etc) or somebody at the tiller (not always possible) "controlling" the boat in the middle of the lock.

By modifying the fender as described requires effort, but makes it more efficient, safer and last but not least (like many I am retired and live on a pension) longer lasting. Money saved where possible means we can perhaps eat out, donate to our favourite charity, or whatever, but most importantly, enables us to afford a boat.

Edited by Guest

Where are you cruising? Perhaps we could arrange joint collection as I've just ordered mine. I can't pick mine up for 3 weeks as I'm abroad, but once I do I will be up and down to London regularly (in the car).

Likewise if you collect first, could you get mine?

Sounds good Junior.

I moor on the Island of Lost Souls (near Harefield Black Jacks Lock).

NB I live in Carshalton Beeches, nr Sutton London - you are welcome to pop in for a tea etc. Just PM me for the address if that's convenient.

Edited by mark99

Getting back to the original photo, again, I seem to remember bow fenders made entirely of rolled up tyre section in a similar style.

Don't seem to seem them these days. Is this a false memory?

MtB

Given this is your existing fender and after reading the thread, I'm wondering how on earth you managed to wear it out with that fender fender wrapped around it!

MtB

The issue is not wear as such but perishing....... if you know what I mean - rotting of the rope. NB I passed a boat yesterday with signwriting advertising traditional rope fenders - but his fenders on display were looking sad.

Getting back to the original photo, again, I seem to remember bow fenders made entirely of rolled up tyre section in a similar style.

MtB

I saw one similar to your description whilst away, but can't remember where it was. A rolled up tyre fastened together with short lengths of chain to stop it from unrolling, and a chain passed through the middle to anchor it to the boat. Wish I had taken a photo now.

The issue is not wear as such but perishing....... if you know what I mean - rotting of the rope. NB I passed a boat yesterday with signwriting advertising traditional rope fenders - but his fenders on display were looking sad.

That's the problem with traditional rope. The plastic stuff is much better.

They are the work of the devil. Guaranteed to catch grit and use it like sand paper on the gel coat.

Why oh why were they ever invented?

I wonder about that when I see a GRP boat with rope side fenders occasionally. Surely they must have a similar effect?

Hi all

Just to clarify- Mark's fender is already made, sitting in my workshop. The maker was Joe Hollingshead, retired boatman, who uses synthetic rope for the core, followed by a natural rope covering which is "knitted" on using a series of half hitches in the old traditional way. They look and feel right, something that a black synthetic covering can never do,,though Joe does use the stuff if requested.

When I collected Mark's fender, he showed me some cores made of rolled carpet that he'd been asked to re-cover. Underwhelmed doesn't begin to describe his antipathy to them!

Natural fibre ropes last well if re-proofed regularly. Joe suggested " Creosalt ", my preference is for clear wood preserver such as Cuprinol or similar. Our fenders are 12 years old and holding up well.

Junior...I'll order yours soon, won't disturb you while working.

I suppose tyres can be used, if aesthetics don't matter!

Cheers

Dave

MtB

No.

MtB

This type of fender seemed more common in the days of cross ply & fabric carcase tyres, my boating was done in days when this type of tyre was still available from the scrap pile ( more than likely you could find a usable one in the towpath hedge) as the disposal of tyres was much less strict than present day, these could be worked much easier than the wire braced jobs, they could be rolled tighter & were less of a struggle + in those days there were more people still around that knew the way/s of doing it ( ex & working boaters, like a lot of other trades/crafts that have at best almost disappeared )

Excellent.

Anyone got a photo? I quite fancy attempting to make one. How are they held together in particular?

Thanks,

MtB

I can post a photo ........ but I'm afraid you will have to wait a couple of weeks as I will be away from the boat for a while.

I can post a photo ........ but I'm afraid you will have to wait a couple of weeks as I will be away from the boat for a while.

Very kind, thank you.

No hurry, my existing bow fender still has several weeks' life left in it!

:D

MtB

Very kind, thank you.

No hurry, my existing bow fender still has several weeks' life left in it!

biggrin.png

MtB

Might have a go myself.

I chopped a tyre up yesterday which took about 20 mins with the power saw in pic. This would not cut through the beads,no way, but made easy work of the steel belting when cutting across the tread. Will post pic of fender when back on boat.

As an aside whilst cutting this I realised an old tyre would make an excellent trailer mudguard. Imagine the coppers face when he pulled you for having no mudguards :)

DSCF2853.jpg

Excellent!

First step sorted. Next, how do you envisage fixing it together into a 'roll'?

How easily and tightly will it roll up?

What sort of tyre is it?

MtB

It was a really wide low profile thing. After cutting it could be rolled up quite easily, but I will guess a 4 or 5 inch diameter hole was left in the middle. That was as tight as I could get it, but I still think it would make a good fender with chain bolted in. I'll try and get a photo later with scrap piece.

I wrapped a piece around the fender then hawked it up really tight with a tourniquet made with a bit of rope and my trolley jack handle. The overlap is underneath which I joined with many plasterboard screws (good tip from another member.) These even go through the steel belting easily with a battery driver.

I imagine you could do similar with the rolled up tyre idea, but haven't tried yet.

A beautiful inflatable doll replica of ''Venus asleep'' with flowing locks streaming in the breeze lashed to the bows would make a much nicer fender-figurehead than some rotten old, slashed to bits, inside out motor tyre. From the waist upwards is all that's needed for the bow end, her volumptuous and alluring bottom could be lashed to the stern to moon as an adornment and fender. rolleyes.gif

A beautiful inflatable doll replica of ''Venus asleep'' with flowing locks streaming in the breeze lashed to the bows would make a much nicer fender-figurehead than some rotten old, slashed to bits, inside out motor tyre. From the waist upwards is all that's needed for the bow end, her volumptuous and alluring bottom could be lashed to the stern to moon as an adornment and fender. rolleyes.gif

I think you may have a point here..