Stoke Bruerne Village at War 2014

Leo No2

Featured Posts

Now that the Stoke Bruerne Canal Family Festival is behind us (and very successful it was) we are now focussing on this year's Village at War event. If you have not been before we would like you to consider enjoying our hospitality this year.

Cost is £5:00 per person per day. There is a 1940s themed swing dance event on the Saturday evening at £15 per person and entertainment is laid on from the Friday evening (12-September) until late Sunday afternoon. We endeavour to moor historic boats between the Museum Green and the southern portal of Blisworth Tunnel and more modern boats in the long pound between locks 15 and 16. Accordingly there will be CRT approved mooring restrictions in place for the event.

For photos of last year's event please click here

Entry forms for 2014 are here.

VILLAGE%20AT%20WAR%20POSTER%202014.jpg

ETA - New poster with correct spelling and smaller size

Edited by Leo No2

That makes it three things I could do that weekend.

Out of interest, why was the event moved from early October ?

It was September last year as well - my understanding is that there is a better chance of more settled weather in September. No I am not a weather forecaster but I think it is a reasonable assumption. There's also a better chance of getting the BBMF Spitfire to do a fly past, which has to be booked at least 12 months prior to the event, and that applies to good weather at origin (Lincolnshire I believe) and weather at destination (Stoke Bruerne).

I hope you can join us and experience a wonderful weekend.

It was in September in 2012 as well, but at the very end of it.

One day was a virtual no-goer then because the weather was so foul, and in my limited understanding that was one of the reasons for moving it forward a couple of weeks.

• 1 month later...

Just to bump this back up to the top (unashamedly). Final meeting last night to organise - everything looking good - PM me if you want to bring a boat - forms available here. Date is 13/14-September-2014.

Information on previous events is here.

Edited by Leo No2

• 4 weeks later...

So will any other forum members be attending the 2014 Village at War at Stoke Bruerne?

We still hope to be there with "Sickle", although with our usual organisational skills I can't exactly claim to be overly prepared, (particularly as the car has needed some urgent and expensive repairs to make it all possible :banghead:).

Anyway the forecast isn't currently looking at all bad, and it is usually a good fun weekend.

Please come and say "hello" if you do decide to go.

Alan, Cath and Odin.

So will any other forum members be attending the 2014 Village at War at Stoke Bruerne?

We still hope to be there with "Sickle", although with our usual organisational skills I can't exactly claim to be overly prepared, (particularly as the car has needed some urgent and expensive repairs to make it all possible :banghead:).

Anyway the forecast isn't currently looking at all bad, and it is usually a good fun weekend.

Please come and say "hello" if you do decide to go.

Alan, Cath and Odin.

Did you make it?

Sickle was still on its mooring this morning when we passed going south!

You might be interested in some images (all my copyright) from this year's event. We had a bit of fun with Sculptor and Sickle re-enacting an event which took place in 1948 when Sickle towed Sculptor, Sagitta and Scorpio to the northwest to become maintenance boats for the British Transport Commission (I think was called that then).

I am hoping (trying anyway) to get all four boats together again next year at an event - possibly at Braunston - as I don't believe they have been together since that time.

Saturday's images are here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsk3towoy

Sunday's images are here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsk2XLmUc

Lovely photo's, thanks for sharing.

I liked the Churchill and Monty characters.

I think their "Monty" is particularly convincing - quite spookily so, really.

Now on our way South again in unforcast miserable drizzle, so a bit sad it is all over again for another year.

At least we had cracking September weather for the weekend, and it certainly seemed to draw the crowds out.

Nice to meet some forum members for the first time, along with some we have known for "a while".

Particular thanks to Kathryn (Leo No 2 of this forum), for her drive and enthusiasm for the event, and excellent management of the mooring spaces.

The Stoke Bruerne events are always ones we look forward to.

"Sickle" didn't go out and "play" as much as in previous years, but it did allow us to spend far more time actually meeting people.

Alan - you are too kind by far. It is easy to do and everyone (well almost everyone) plays the game according to my rules which makes my role a pleasure and I get to meet all the boaters. We always have a bit of space up our sleeves for those that make a last minute decision to attend.

So a note for your diaries - I believe we have started booking BBMF and the star performers for 12/13-September-2015.

"everyone (well almost everyone) plays the game according to my rules"

Hmmmmm

I thought you might question that! Just for clarity I mean the boaters who try and moor in the middle of two moorings because they want more space for themselves. e.g. A 60' mooring (for which I would allow say 63') and a 50' mooring (for which I would allow 53') and the 60' boat comes early and decides to have 10' between him and the boat moored behind - we just don't have the room for that.

It has to be done!

"Catrin", as captured by Lynda Payton, (click for larger version, it seems - I wish I understood Flickr!)

15051944118_c6476e8c33_s.jpgOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by ShepherdMoon, on Flickr

Edited by alan_fincher

It has to be done!

"Catrin", as captured by Lynda Payton, (click for larger version, it seems - I wish I understood Flickr!)

15051944118_c6476e8c33_s.jpgOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by ShepherdMoon, on Flickr

When grabbing the link on Flickr, choose the size you want in the box above the box with the url in it smile.png

Capture_zps39b60dcf.jpg

15051944118_c6476e8c33_z.jpgOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by ShepherdMoon, on Flickr

Edited by IanM

One of the great things about this event was some of the interesting people that came and talked to us about anything from knitting to detailed histories of certain boats.

Only towards the very end did I become aware that Cath was in deep conversation with a couple, where the original conversation had been about what she was knitting, I think.

I joined the group, and by then the man was talking about all kinds of history of various working boats. His knowledge seemed exceedingly detailed, and, unlike so many such conversations, also seemed like what he was saying was spot on, rather than the memories of someone from a working boat family who swears blind "my uncle used to have that boat", when you know quite well from its history that they almost certainly never did.

I hadn't worked out if Cath knew who the couple was, so eventually asked, and the gentleman introduced himself as Roger Hatchard, someone who's name I instantly recognised, and could remember from pictures of him crewing some of the last long distance narrow boat traffic in the 1970s. That, I subsequently realised, made the lady Jean Hatchard, who I believe is daughter of Jim and Doris Collins who were the crew of one of the last of the three pairs of boats that Blue Line used on the "Jam Ole" traffic until it ceased.

I could have talked to this interesting pair for hours, as there seemed to be so much they could have told me. Also, as reported elsewhere, they are a thoroughly nice couple, and I took to them a lot.

Thanks for spending the time with us Roger and Jean!

15051944118_c6476e8c33_z.jpg

I was delighted to be stopped by a very elderly, but still sprightly lady.

"I do like your hat" she said.

I thanked her and said that I had bought it at my local Oxfam shop. We discussed my clothing some more, and she said that she used to be in the vintage clothing trade herself. The last productions she had been involved with were "the Jewel in the Crown" and "Brideshead Revisited", which she reminded me were set in the 1940s.

"Of course, during the war I was driving trucks and ambulances for the ATS", she said.

"Forgive me being rude, but how old are you?" I asked.

"Ninety next Saturday. Of course, I'm here with my son, he's looking after me today."

Still the odd photo turning up.....

I'd love to see some of us towing, but so far, other than Kathryn's from the towed boat, nothing.

However here is one of the whole "Sickle" team found on Flickr that I rather like......

15256709806_d842cc04d7_b.jpgSmiles All Round by donbyatt, on Flickr