Stoke Bruerne Village at War 2014

Leo No2

Featured Posts

Still the odd photo turning up.....

I'd love to see some of us towing, but so far, other than Kathryn's from the towed boat, nothing.

However here is one of the whole "Sickle" team found on Flickr that I rather like......

15256709806_d842cc04d7_b.jpgSmiles All Round by donbyatt, on Flickr

Alan - I think 'Cleyley Bob' of this parish may have some taken from the towpath.

Anyone who recognises these two well known canal characters might like this too.....

David Blagrove and "Rocket" Ron Withey

15256701876_2870e2da56_b.jpgPassing the Time by donbyatt, on Flickr

I love that photo of two old Willow Wren captains who I first met nearly fifty years ago. I must admit I have never seen David Blagrove look so smart, more like a banker than a Boatman.

I love that photo of two old Willow Wren captains who I first met nearly fifty years ago. I must admit I have never seen David Blagrove look so smart, more like a banker than a Boatman.

David often plays "the man from the ministry" at these events, and produces some dodgy looking paperwork (probably a bus pass!) to try and prove his point.

At a previous one he came to enquire whether my "boatwoman wife" was pregnant, and if not, why we were laid up at Stoke Bruerne for so long, rather than getting on with the war effort!

This time he told me he was being paid by the ministry specifically to visit all the local pubs, and check that there were no malingering boatmen in there. (He of course needed to sink a few pints himself, not to raise suspicions!).

I think it is a great picture.

Here you go Alan

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7536230@N06/sets/72157647389529478/

Thanks for helping in the re-enactment - here's to next year when all the 3 original GUCCCo boats may be together again at Braunston.

Edited by Cleyley Bob

Here you go Alan

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7536230@N06/sets/72157647389529478

Thanks for helping in the re-enactment - here's to next year when all the 3 original GUCCCo boats may be together again at Braunston.

Thanks,

We really like those - I'm glad we have been able to locate some.

I have to say I was concerned quite how thin the cross straps were that David had made up, but they did the trick. Probably no good for towing three boats, though - might need something a bit stronger for that.

We took very few of our own pictures this time, but here are half a dozen or so in this album

Still the odd photo turning up.....

I'd love to see some of us towing, but so far, other than Kathryn's from the towed boat, nothing.

However here is one of the whole "Sickle" team found on Flickr that I rather like......

15256709806_d842cc04d7_b.jpgSmiles All Round by donbyatt, on F

Hopefully heres a video for you.

Richard.

Hopefully heres a video for you.

Richard.

Excellent stuff!

I even managed to not look too concerned about quite how thin the cross straps were that I was provided to tow with.

If we ever get around to writing the missing blog post for this event, I will also link to the video, if that is OK with you.

Excellent stuff!

I even managed to not look too concerned about quite how thin the cross straps were that I was provided to tow with.

If we ever get around to writing the missing blog post for this event, I will also link to the video, if that is OK with you.

That's certainly OK. I've given it a "Creative Commons" licence so anyone can use it.

Date set tonight for 2015 is 12/13-September. I'll update this thread as more details become available but I expect mooring may be at a premium with the IWA Gathering of the Boats in Northampton a fortnight before.

Blimey - I hate to use offensive language, but its not even Ch****mas yet!! laugh.png