Jetty Fendering

Badger

Featured Posts

Hi, I want to improve the fendering on my mooring. The jetty has 4" box section steels going vertically into the water. i am searching for something to "pad" these... does anybody know of a suitable product that might do the job ?. I will need 3 fenders in total of apprix 30 inches minimum each.

Badger

There are various types of fender to suit such an application, the company in question escapes me but they do produce a large range of regular fenders as well as quayhead and jetty fenders. I'm sure if you google around a bit you will find them. If you are looking for low cost/ low tech why not look at flat fenders as used by some NB owners or check out slabs of Sorbo rubber which must be readily available.

Phil

Yes, have sent off email to a company in Kent. Car tyres leave a large contact area to the hull and scrape off a lot of blacking. Wood is something I had not considered. I suppose if it was oak or similar, say 2x1...that would last for years I guess.

Car tyres leave a large contact area to the hull and scrape off a lot of blacking.

No they don't

We have had Tawny against tyres for years, surging backwards and forwards as Hatton top lock is used. All that happens is we get a circular patch of polished blacking

That's using cheap and cheerful blacking, no idea what it would do to fancy epoxy

Richard

No they don't

We have had Tawny against tyres for years, surging backwards and forwards as Hatton top lock is used. All that happens is we get a circular patch of polished blacking

That's using cheap and cheerful blacking, no idea what it would do to fancy epoxy

Richard

It scrubs mine off!

How about complete wheels, threaded onto vertical scaffold poles and free to rotate- that way, the blacking doesn't get scrubbed off.

I saw a boat at Rickmansworth festival last month with two complete car wheels which had a piece of plywood on the underside of the wheel attached with ropes to the handrail. Looked pretty sturdy, although held the boat off the bank about a couple of feet.

Yes, have sent off email to a company in Kent. Car tyres leave a large contact area to the hull and scrape off a lot of blacking. Wood is something I had not considered. I suppose if it was oak or similar, say 2x1...that would last for years I guess.

I would use something 3-4" thick, you can countersunk bolts to then attach to the steel.

where can you get old rope for money?

:D

MtB

From Ye Olde Rope Shoppe.

They usually accept money! ?

Edited to say they also offer a rope ageing service. Take your brand new rope to them and in a few years time they will return it to you in a suitably distressed state! ?

Edited by mattlad

It scrubs mine off!

Not mine. I just get a polished area of blacking. I use the rubber that they put down in playground areas for kids around swings/roundabouts etc, and just cut them into rectangles along the pontoon.

Hi, I want to improve the fendering on my mooring. The jetty has 4" box section steels going vertically into the water. i am searching for something to "pad" these... does anybody know of a suitable product that might do the job ?. I will need 3 fenders in total of apprix 30 inches minimum each.

Badger

I put go kart tyres over each box section piling. If you're on a river you can hang the tyres from ropes to your boat so they will rise and fall with the boat. If you're worried about your blacking then just keep the tyres above the waterline so the blacking is easy to repaint. To be honest any material that's rubbing against the blacking for any length of time will eventually wear the paint off - not just tyres.

Edited by blackrose