I've got problems with yoofs on my boat

Featured Posts

The problem is that they grow too big, I now have 3 great lolloping yoofs who have grown too big for the beds in the rear cabin. Plan to put in three bunks on top of each other.

What size wood should I use for the fame to ensure they don't end up in a heap and what distance between the mattress and the one above is acceptable? Might have to be an RSJ the size of them now help.gif

That sounds a little cramped, you can just about get two bunked comfortably (with room to move, roll over, get in and out etc).

Three would be a little excessive!

In my opinion I don't think you'll get 3 one above the other.

We have 2 pairs of bunks on Tawny, and I find the bottom bunk rather claustrophobic. If I toss and turn a bit in the night I end up banging my head or elbows and I don't like that at all.

I don't think you can do any better than 2 bunks above each other and one (or 2) on the other side,(If that's possible of course), especially if your yoofs are getting big.

Sue

You won't fit 3 bunks in with a conventional bottom bunk, but you might if you put the bottom one at floor level. The problem then is where to put all the stuff that 3 yoofs bring with them without the under-bed locker.

Pipe cots would take up less space than fixed bunks, and could be configured to be mountable at various heights so you don't need the 3 tier configuration if only 1 or 2 yoofs are present.

A pipe cot basically consists of a canvas sheet with a large hem down the 2 long sides. Inside the hems you put a suitable sized steel pipe, and these in turn sit in U-brackets attached to the bulkhead at each end. The U-brackets are made from thick plywood, firmly screwed the bulkhead. No mattresses needed (except for the bottom bunk on the floor).

Edited by David Mack

We have a fold up bunk in the rear cabin. It's 6'6" long to accommodate my 14 year old (5'11"!). The frame is made of 50mm * 25mm u section steel channel welded into the frame. I then added 12mm ply for the upped deck. Having 3 teenagers I built it strong!

top tip for making beds. To make the base use 8mm ply. about 50mm in from each side drill a row of holes about 50mm apart then join them with a jigsaw cut. Although this needs to be screwed to a frame alternate with every hole this does give an excellent sprung effect and the wood is loaded in tension hence only 8mm.

I did this for my 3 boys. 2 bunks...3 beds. - the top bunk only runs over the feet of the lower "sleepers"...so no claustraphobia

preview_image_0_50444092x.jpg

WIdebeam though. If you have a cross bed on a narrowboat then 1) it won't be long enough for anyone over approx 5'6" and 2) it will stop walk-thru access and leading from 2, 3) it would need to be foldaway (or be really inconvenient if not).

Avoid making bases of solid ply, the amount of condensation under a mattress on a solid base is astonishing. I have made them as per Sir Nibbles post but as an alternative you might want to look at the bases in Ikea, I did find, however that the lengthways beams in the Ikea frames needed backing up with 2x2