Caen Hill marina

coastiefrank

Featured Posts

Hi,

I've been looking at marina's on the Kennet and Avon and e-mailed the above marina. I got a good response from them and am wondering if anyone has had any dealings with them that they would share with me.

Regards

I have heard nothing but good reports about Caen Hill Marina I know people who are moored there, they all say its very friendly the managers are great and facilities are good.

they soon got a lot of boats in and seems to have kept them only problem is if you want to do main system canals then a few locks to do on first and last days.

No first hand knowledge, but a friend has booked a 6 months mooring there from October on & she did a fair amount of research before booking. She tells me the facilities are great, clean and convenient. Only down side is your not allowed to put flower pots at the end of the pontoons, which she does here.

they soon got a lot of boats in and seems to have kept them only problem is if you want to do main system canals then a few locks to do on first and last days.

That is true, but for a mooring near enough to Frome it is also inevitable.

I obviously haven't tried it yet, but suspect I will find it easier that Caen Hill Locks are on the first (and last) day of any long trip than when they have been on the third day (and third from last day) - not least because going up a few days early, and then mooring at the top for a day or two, is an option.

Spent some time there the other winter.

Very good clean facilities

Friendly.

Well priced

Secure

You buy a card to use an electricity point, a tenners worth will last months.

They use the large office to hold curry nights, music, lectures and such stuff.

Excellent farm shop over the road.

Shame there is no club house. Nearest pub, three magpies, 30ish min walk. Or walk up flight into devises to the British lion.

If you need a marina, this a good one

Glenn

I've just reserved a mooring there, so I can't give you first hand experience expect to say I was happy enough to commit to the deal

They didn't run Saul Junction Marina did they Keble? It could be a bit of Deja Vu for me if they did...

Hi Patrick, no but Rob worked there at times. They moored on the pontoon nearest the gate but earlier were near where you were.

I shall give some negative feedback:

I booked my boat in there last spring for a week. When I got to the top of the Caen Hill flight I moored up and walked down to have a look at the marina and meet the people who run it.

Whoever designed it obviously hasn't considered access by foot or disabled access. I had to walk over a bit of rough fenced off land and its not clear whether you're supposed to be walking through there or not, then climb over a style which is fine, but when I came to the main gate it was closed. I could see people around the office and it appeared to be open, so having already climbed over one fence I decided it was reasonable to climb another. Big mistake! I'm not sure who he was but the guy outside the office wasn't happy and gave me a bollocking. He was so unpleasant I decided to take my business elsewhere.

Yes it was my mistake, but if they made access clearer and perhaps put an intercom on the main gate to the office then these misunderstandings wouldn't occur.

I thought the nearest pub was just a short walk, the Black Horse which is at the first bridge up from the marina. Maybe it has closed but I doubt it.

Wrong marina

edit

No the pub is not closed although we didn't visit it, its a Wadsworth house

I heard several good reports about the marina from boaters when we were down that end.

Edited by ditchcrawler

Whats wrong with devizes marina ?

Not much in the way of facilities, last time we passed they had stopped selling diesel and the chandlers were closed.

It is also a long way out of town although there is a Lidl within walking distance.

Ken

I shall give some negative feedback:

I booked my boat in there last spring for a week. When I got to the top of the Caen Hill flight I moored up and walked down to have a look at the marina and meet the people who run it.

Whoever designed it obviously hasn't considered access by foot or disabled access. I had to walk over a bit of rough fenced off land and its not clear whether you're supposed to be walking through there or not, then climb over a style which is fine, but when I came to the main gate it was closed. I could see people around the office and it appeared to be open, so having already climbed over one fence I decided it was reasonable to climb another. Big mistake! I'm not sure who he was but the guy outside the office wasn't happy and gave me a bollocking. He was so unpleasant I decided to take my business elsewhere.

Yes it was my mistake, but if they made access clearer and perhaps put an intercom on the main gate to the office then these misunderstandings wouldn't occur.

As I said, it's a secure site.

It's clear one shouldn't be climbing over the fence to get in.

Glenn

Not much in the way of facilities, last time we passed they had stopped selling diesel and the chandlers were closed.

It is also a long way out of town although there is a Lidl within walking distance.

Ken

Funnily enough we popped there day before yesterday, looked deserted but loads of cars in the car park, it's not very inviting when you drive in, looks like the back entrance to somewhere, poor sign-age so didn't even bother to exit the car.

We spent last winter there. It's very clean and tidy. The managers are strict about dogs not being allowed to foul the grass and paths. There is plenty of good parking. The local village shop comes in most mornings. The showers, loos and washing machine facilities are the best I have come across.

The marina is run on ecology friendly lines as much as is possible.

Cara and Rob (the managers) are helpful and friendly...though Rob has occasional grumpy days!

The road is rather noisy.

It's a car park for boats really but a well run one