"President" and "Kildare".

Featured Posts

For a bit of R&R or keeping me sane while working from home I keep the Braunston Marina web cam up just saw "President" and "Kildare"?? pull out and head south that was a nice thing to watch from home, next best to being there.

image003.jpg

Missed it close but managed a screen grab.

If I win the lottery, I'm going to buy.an ex FMC steamer and put the steam plant back in. That'd be fun to have.

This is exactly what happened to MONARCH in 1992, only combined with being shortened to 60'. MONARCH inevitably returned to diesel power in 2005 following a couple of changes in ownership.

Yes they are at Crick. We were able to sit in "Kildare's" boatmen's cabin today, out of the rain. It was great. What fantastic examples of our boating history!

Although this pair is 'interesting' they are certainly not "fantastic examples of our boating history".

This is exactly what happened to MONARCH in 1992, only combined with being shortened to 60'. MONARCH inevitably returned to diesel power in 2005 following a couple of changes in ownership.

Although this pair is 'interesting' they are certainly not "fantastic examples of our boating history".

Oh dear it appears southwickian has transgressed and drawn the attention of the forum pedants.

Perhaps for the benefit of her as a new member FTS might explain the correct term for a 'boat mans cabin' and Peter may expand a bit more on his post.

Those of us who have been around for a while may understand, somebody around much less so may not........

Oh dear it appears southwickian has transgressed and drawn the attention of the forum pedants.

Perhaps for the benefit of her as a new member FTS might explain the correct term for a 'boat mans cabin' and Peter may expand a bit more on his post.

I will always justify my comments.

My remarks about MONARCH are factual and to which I can add very little.

My remarks about PRESIDENT and KILDARE being " 'interesting' but certainly not "fantastic examples of our boating history" " are based upon my knowledge of 'historic' narrow boats as well as my standards as a former professional boatman. I remember PRESIDENT when it was first restored, and in private ownership it was extensively displayed (pretty much as it is now), but my memory of it then was as a well turned out and well handled boat. Nowadays, and seemingly since it was acquired by the Black Country Museum it always looks so scruffy, even directly after its various renovations. PRESIDENT and NORTHWICH, and latterly KILDARE, seem to suffer all of the same problems as other multi-user 'historic' narrow boat organisations in that they have developed poor reputations for the way in which they are presented and handled - and this is something I have seen myself on numerous occasions. It seem to me that the common problem with all of these multi-user pairs is that they are operated by canal enthusiasts and not 'historic' boat enthusiasts, and there are always plenty of 'friends' around PRESIDENT and KILDARE but their priority seems be based around dressing up (with women dressed as men !) and talking with the public rather than a couple of 'friends' setting to the task of presenting the boats properly - I ask when was the last time the belting and cratch strings were scrubbed (I think I know the answer).

Of course PRESIDENT in its current Steamer guise is an important asset of the canals history, but the Black Country Living Museum has a responsibility to ensure it is both presented and boated properly - which it clearly does not. There are numerous 'historic' narrow boats that are "fantastic examples of our boating history", but these are all in private ownership.

I have had a personal involvement with multi-user 'historic' narrow boats, both as crew and as a committee member. Unfortunately my committee experience was not very good at all as my knowledge and experience was dismissed, and my experience as crew (unless I am the 'captain') has not been much better - with a few exceptions.

Those of us who have been around for a while may understand, somebody around much less so may not........

Yes, it's a cabin. :)

Further to Pete's post - in their working days, these "Engines", as they were referred to, were immaculately turned out (according to a late friend who had first-hand experience of them) and eg it was common to scrub out the cabin on the long pounds with the drawers taken out and scrubbed and left on the cabin top to dry out.

I can only agree with Pete on this issue. I recall seeing Kildare at Park Head some years ago, entering the top lock. A crew member, in regulation cap, shirt and red neckerchief, stepped off with some thinnish rope. I thought he was intending to stop the boat and close the gate by taking a turn or two around the strapping post on the outer edge of it, a common practice in working days. Instead he wrapped the flimsy rope several times around the paddle post. Oh dear. The rope snapped, unsurprisingly, and the boat thumped the bottom gates.

What concerns me is that onlookers may well have assumed good practice was being followed, apart from the breaking rope.

Dave

I've put this info elsewhere but it worth ointing out here that for those in Facebook, "Ian kemp Restoration Services" has some photos of Presindent's cabin being replaced.

Kildare will be going to IKRS in the near future for some work.

Apologies to those who I have appeared to upset with my post.

Yes, my knowledge of historical boats is very limited. Yes the lovely chap on the Kildare told me that it was a boat men's cabin.

As I have not seen many historical boats I did feel that they were fantastic examples. On my three year hunt for a narrowboat to purchase for myself, I've seen 5 year old boats in worse condition than these 105 year old boats.

As I appreciate that most of you have 1000 times more knowledge and experience than me, I would hope that you will not take offence at each point of my learning, please

Hey! I've been boating for just about fourteen years AND have an interest in the historical side of the canals and boats there on, and I learn something everyday.

I am passionate about the above but no where near as passionate and knowledgable of some of the smashing people on this fantastic forum

Please don't beat yourself up. We live and learn and part of that process causes some feathers to be ruffled unintentionally.

No harm done. Personally I couldn't dress up as a boatman, unless it was for a bet, others like to. Everyone to their own I guess.

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch