Trouser belt

Big John

Featured Posts

On 20/12/2006 at 15:27, Sir Nibble said:

What a useful bloke!

I have a £1.49 dog lead that I run through my belt loops and a loop welded to each windlass, mainly to leave both hands free for lock ladders. It's bad enough single handing Bath deep lock as it is but climbing that ladder one handed would be more than my bowels can stand!

What I do is take the centreline, make a bowline, threading the windlass through the rope, then put loop over shoulder. 

Much improved over rope in teeth and one handed ladder climbing method. 

I avoid taking the mobile phone with me unless I can put it in a small rucksack along with my debit cards, safe and convenient, also keep a few masks in there for shopping. 

I ibdended to paint my windlass bright yellow, but have got used to carrying in my hand when it is not on a balance beam. 

Edited by LadyG

Trouser braces are everso useful for dangling things from.   I also spliced loops on the ends of my centre lines which I slip over an arm when ascending and descending lock ladders.   Depicted. Typical pair of braces on this bloke.

CaptainHaddock.jpg

2 hours ago, bizzard said:

Trouser braces are everso useful for dangling things from.   I also spliced loops on the ends of my centre lines which I slip over an arm when ascending and descending lock ladders.   Depicted. Typical pair of braces on this bloke.

CaptainHaddock.jpg

So you can get Haddock in the middle of the desert!

16 hours ago, LadyG said:

What I do is take the centreline, make a bowline, threading the windlass through the rope, then put loop over shoulder. 

Much improved over rope in teeth and one handed ladder climbing method. 

I avoid carrying ropes altogether when using ladders, it's just not safe. I can imagine the scenarios: boat moves in the lock while the rope is over your shoulder and pulls you off the ladder; or you trip over excess rope hanging behind you as you're on the ladder. It doesn't beat thinking about.

What's the point anyway? I'm single handed and I manage to chuck a stern and centre rope or stern and bow rope up to the top of a lock and then climb up the ladder. I think I've only ever had one fall back down because I didn't throw it properly. Going downhill just chuck the rope down onto the boat's roof and climb down. There's no need at all to be carrying ropes up or down lock ladders.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

18 hours ago, blackrose said:

I avoid carrying ropes altogether when using ladders, it's just not safe. I can imagine the scenarios: boat moves in the lock while the rope is over your shoulder and pulls you off the ladder; or you trip over excess rope hanging behind you as you're on the ladder. It doesn't beat thinking about.

What's the point anyway? I'm single handed and I manage to chuck a stern and centre rope or stern and bow rope up to the top of a lock and then climb up the ladder. I think I've only ever had one fall back down because I didn't throw it properly. Going downhill just chuck the rope down onto the boat's roof and climb down. There's no need at all to be carrying ropes up or down lock ladders.

Good point! 
My compromise is to take a light line up the ladder with me.  One end has a spliced loop which hooks easily over a thumb, and can be let go easily if required. The other end has a dog clip and is attached to the proper mooring line. Once on the lockside I pull in the light line and whatever is attached to it (usually bow and stern lines) comes up to the lockside.

On 29/12/2021 at 12:00, Athy said:

....especially as Mr. Sligo, though not a frequent poster, has been a member for over five years.

And that is why I am registered Partialy Sighted.... 😁 Oh well I see that there a few more posts to this one now....