Erewash Canal

Airbed

Featured Posts

Well the sunken cruiser below pasture lock has finally been moved, but there was a notice today of some masonry falling off bridge 1 because of a bridge strike. I know no more than the notice email said.

Enjoy it,just don't be surprised by some of the language the little daring come out with as you pass the parks in Ilkeston.

The Erewash is yet another canal that has an undeserved poor reputation. O k we have only done it once and it was three years ago but we had a great time. Some of the locks are hard work, but no harder than on some other canals.

When we did it the water was incredibly clear in parts, I have described it as boating on an aquarium. Yes it's 'gritty' in parts but lets not forget what is what built for.

The former mill in Sandiacre is a stunning example of buildings of that era.

The basin at Langley Mill is a great place to moor, make sure you get your 'head of navigation plaque', our boat proudly displays ours.

Alan,

Its fine up there - like SuzyQ we went up with Mr & Mrs Trackman at Easter. Some of the locks are heavy and some have anti-vandal locks so make sure you have a couple of T keys before you set out. It is easier with two boats as there are two people to open the stiff gates. There is an M&S food near to the canal at Il'son - there are a couple of boat lengths of bollards before a bridge and the shop is then on the right. Also Asda etc in Langley Mill. If you do D H Lawrence its not far to walk to Eastwood..

Are you then coming onto the Soar? If so a beer in The Swan one night?

All the best

Richard

It was a lovely trip up the Erewash. Hard work at times but well worth the effort. It was all beautifully clean, with more water lilies than I've seen outside a Monet painting, and the basin here at Langley Mill is delightful.

We like Langley Mill, It's a great working boatyard, and lovely community. My family has had boats up there since it reopened in the seventies, and i have spent my whole life around the place! It's definitely worth a trip up, and i hope you enjoy your time there!

Dan

If you are still on the Erewash on Saturday, unless you like rock music don't moor by Shipley lock. We will be camping by the canal at MFN (Miles From Nowhere) for the Saxon & AC/DC UK concert along with 100 or so other headbangers......

frusty.gif

Edited by Suzie_q

• 8 months later...

Planning on heading up the Erewash canal in a couple of weeks time. Does anyone know of a pump out station anywhere along it's length. Or am I better off emptying the tank at Sawley first?

Thanks

Planning on heading up the Erewash canal in a couple of weeks time. Does anyone know of a pump out station anywhere along it's length. Or am I better off emptying the tank at Sawley first?

Thanks

The only one I recall was in the basin at Langley Mill, right at the head of the current navigation.

Their contact info. is here if you want to check it's still available.

https://plus.google.com/117134474417623421120/about?gl=uk&hl=en

When you head up the edges are silted up more than I could have imagined so stick to the middle (its unlikely you'll encounter many other boaters) especially round corners as when I went up 3 weeks ago or so the barge poll got a lot of use that weekend :-/

poor erewash needs a good dredging but they wont do that because its not deemed popular enough, probably because it needs more maintenance

Thanks

As your avatar is 'Silebyman' are you normally moored at Sileby Mill? If so get a pump out before you leave there.You'll see our boat moored next to the fuel barge.

Thanks for all the info. I'll give Langley mill a call see if they offer that service.

As to the avatar name - I live in the village, and walk down to Sileby Mill regularly, and get blacking etc done there but I keep the boat elsewhere.

When you head up the edges are silted up more than I could have imagined so stick to the middle (its unlikely you'll encounter many other boaters) especially round corners as when I went up 3 weeks ago or so the barge poll got a lot of use that weekend :-/

poor erewash needs a good dredging but they wont do that because its not deemed popular enough, probably because it needs more maintenance

I don't know if it's any better now but they have been dredging this year.