Buying a boat from an "unknown" builder?

Erin42

Featured Posts

I've seen a few boats being sold which have no information on who the builder is. Is this a bad idea? I would rather be able to understand a little of the boat's history before I shelled out for a survey.

(Although the boat I had a survey on on wednesday had all of her reciepts from 1980 to present day, plus a survey two years ago, and there was a flippin hole in the hull!)

Thoughts? I'm looking at something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40-Narrowboat-Trad-Stern-/111317773021?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19eb0e6add

Though it has a wooden top, which I'm not really into.

Though it has a wooden top, which I'm not really into.

Wooden Tops are not a particularly good idea - very few people have managed to get one 'leak-free'.

You could be looking at trouble.

Try & save a few more pennies and try and go a litle more up-market from the boats you appear to be looking at at the moment. It will be worth it in the long term. These boats will cost you much more in maintenance and repair costs than a 'good' one will to start with.

It could just be that the current owner or broker does not know the owner. If you have the registration number you can look on Jim Shead's boat listing and you might find out a lot more information about the builder.

I read that Jim's site is moving to Canal Planner

Yes, seems very overpriced to me (didn't want to say unless it was someone on the forum selling it!) 1975, I was told. The boat isn't what I'm looking for for various reasons, just an example of what I've come across.

It could just be that the current owner or broker does not know the owner. If you have the registration number you can look on Jim Shead's boat listing and you might find out a lot more information about the builder.

Thanks for that! I'm sure that will come in handy!

My "shortlist" at the moment consists of:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Edwina-37ft-Cruiser-Stern-Narrowboat-/261449189761?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cdf960981

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NARROWBOAT-POPPY-35ft-CRUISER-STERN-/261424233719?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cde193cf7

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121312864331?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.towpathtrader.com/boats/narrowboats/cruiser/life-of-reilly-37ft-cruiser-stern-narrowboat-ps-21-500.00-1096.html

All smaller than I was initially looking at but (I think) by more reputable boat builders

Just a thought, to get a feel of the market get yourself off to Whilton Marina. http://www.whiltonmarina.co.uk/used-narrowboats/default.aspx

There you can view "The good, the bad and the ugly". They will let you mooch round the boats for sale all day. To me it is advisable to view boats "in the flesh" as well as on-line.

You will be under no obligation to buy any of the boats there.

Also you will get to recognise the different hull builders and fit out firms.

Edited by Ray T

Wooden Tops are not a particularly good idea - very few people have managed to get one 'leak-free'.

What a strange thing to say.

I have had several wooden topped boats and have yet had one leak.

I've had a few steel cabins that have leaked and suffered condensation problems though.

Wooden cabins need maintenance and there are many poorly maintained ones that, with a few days work, can be made leak free easily.

Steel cabins also need maintenance and when they start to leak it is either time to bodge it with filler, learn to weld, pay someone to weld it up for you or get another boat.

That said woodentops don't sell for as much as tintops and that boat looks like it is overpriced (nice hull shape though).

So how do you buy a boat off e-bay if you want a survey ?

Do you place your bid, win and then appoint a surveyor - before you pay - will the seller let you as its not yours until its paid for, what happens if the surveyour says its worth £1000's less than your winning bid - you are in a legal contract to buy it at your bid price. Do you walk away ?

Do you have a survey before you bid ?

Will the seller let you ?

Who is going to pay the lift out / in charges.

I've never worked out how you can do it - any suggestions.

Witches promise was on the market a long time a year or two ago, has a huge cockpit not ideal on a smallish boat.

That Life of Riley has also been on the market a while - but the engine/gearbox combination will make it a pleasure to cruise. Poppy - not at that price. The Piper boat might be worth a look.

Bear in mind that these days anything under 40 foot is really struggling to find a buyer. This might sound appealing as a purchase but remember at some point you will have to sell. If you do think you can manage in a shortish boat, do have the nerve to make a ridiculous offer, there just aren't that many potential buyers out there for the owner to ignore any sort of offer.

Do you place your bid, win and then appoint a surveyor - before you pay - will the seller let you as its not yours until its paid for, what happens if the surveyour says its worth £1000's less than your winning bid - you are in a legal contract to buy it at your bid price. Do you walk away ?

Who is going to pay the lift out / in charges.ha

Basically, unless you can arrange the survey quickly enough to occur (and the report produced) before the bidding ends, then you won't be able to get a survey. So, on eBay, you ought to adjust your highest bid price to take into account a worst case scenario. If someone else buys it, then so be it - they've taken that risk. I guess statistically there are some good boats on eBay, but I bet its mostly full of rubbish ones!

The other thing you could do is rely on your own judgement and look as thoroughly as possible at the boat, without actually having a survey done (but I'd not recommend this for a first time buyer).

Looking at the other thread of Erin's, I guess she's well aware of the value of a proper (out of the water hull) survey now.

Just a thought, to get a feel of the market get yourself off to Whilton Marina. http://www.whiltonmarina.co.uk/used-narrowboats/default.aspx

There you can view "The good, the bad and the ugly". They will let you mooch round the boats for sale all day. To me it is advisable to view boats "in the flesh" as well as on-line.

You will be under no obligation to buy any of the boats there.

Also you will get to recognise the different hull builders and fit out firms.

Yep, hopefully heading there next weekend as this is what I've heard from others, too. You can browse for hours and there are so many there.

Who is going to pay the lift out / in charges.

I have been treating ebay listings the same as apollo duck ones - as just a webpage for photos and contact details, and then everything is arranged independently through the private seller. I haven't seen many actual auctions for boats on ebay, mostly just classified ads.

Witches promise was on the market a long time a year or two ago, has a huge cockpit not ideal on a smallish boat.

That Life of Riley has also been on the market a while - but the engine/gearbox combination will make it a pleasure to cruise. Poppy - not at that price. The Piper boat might be worth a look.

Bear in mind that these days anything under 40 foot is really struggling to find a buyer. This might sound appealing as a purchase but remember at some point you will have to sell. If you do think you can manage in a shortish boat, do have the nerve to make a ridiculous offer, there just aren't that many potential buyers out there for the owner to ignore any sort of offer.

I asked the marina why they thought Life of Riley hadn't sold, and they said that their shorter boats weren't selling too well. So yes, resale is a serious consideration.

Poppy has been around since I started looking seriously at boats (which is perhaps a year ago now, I think) so thanks for the tip on making a "silly offer", I will bear that in mind!

At the risk of being presumptious I'm selling a 60ft 1991 trad in the next few weeks.It was built by Ward Marine in Boston, has a Beta BV1505 engine, Beta BV1305 10kva inboard genset,250w Sanyo HIT solar, washing machine, new cratch and external paint last year, recent full engine service including new injectors, PRM260 gearbox. If you're interested

nd me a PM. Definitely better value than the boats you've listed above.Need a quickish sale as moving abroad. Will be in Braunston area this weekend if you want to have a look. Cheers John

PS:Picture of NB Aquarius in gallery/boats.

Edited by JDR

• 1 month later...

At the risk of being presumptious I'm selling a 60ft 1991 trad in the next few weeks.It was built by Ward Marine in Boston, has a Beta BV1505 engine, Beta BV1305 10kva inboard genset,250w Sanyo HIT solar, washing machine, new cratch and external paint last year, recent full engine service including new injectors, PRM260 gearbox. If you're interested

nd me a PM. Definitely better value than the boats you've listed above.Need a quickish sale as moving abroad. Will be in Braunston area this weekend if you want to have a look. Cheers John

PS:Picture of NB Aquarius in gallery/boats.

I applaud presumptious! Ive sent you a pm. :)