Any good cider pubs

CockneyReject

Featured Posts

So,we are currently heading destination rising sun berkhampstead

A lovely pub ,with what must be the best real cider selection I know.

Unless you know different of course,

please feel free to let me know your thoughts.

ahhhh Matty and I were here on NYE and i enjoyed the cider very much so and look forward to a return visit

I prefer to drink decent beer rather than battery acid but.......

The Blue Bell, by the North Stratford at Illshaw Heath calls itself a 'cider house' rather than a pub. (They've recently installed a set of brewing kit to become a 'brew pub' BTW)

In the center of Brum the Wellington, Bennetts Hill, B2 5SN and the Post Office Vaults, top of New St. on the LHS, are both excellent beer venues but both sell real cider. The POV is probably the better of the two if cider is what you're after.

Cheers.

cheers.gif

The Coronation Tap in Clifton, Bristol is the best I've found.. Not near a canal tho.

. The corrie tap is just up the road from the orchard which is the best cider pub in the country and has many certificates to.support the claim it is tucked away just behind the ss Great Britain on the harbour side i know many cider drinkers and none of them go to the tap it's for visitors a bit of a pretend cider pub around these parts

I prefer to drink decent beer rather than battery acid but.......

The Blue Bell, by the North Stratford at Illshaw Heath calls itself a 'cider house' rather than a pub. (They've recently installed a set of brewing kit to become a 'brew pub' BTW)

In the center of Brum the Wellington, Bennetts Hill, B2 5SN and the Post Office Vaults, top of New St. on the LHS, are both excellent beer venues but both sell real cider. The POV is probably the better of the two if cider is what you're after.

Cheers.

cheers.gif

Good call on the Bluebell. Right next to the canal in Gas Street is the Canalside Cafe which does some decent ciders.

Rosie Tanners, the White Horse now called The Orchard. I have purchased many a fine headache in there back when I lived in Bemmy.

Is the Maltsters still going, name changed to the Nut Tree I think.

There's a good one on the Severn north of Worcester, The Camp House I think it's called. Just by the lock.

Crafty carper is the Whitening Yard still going in the trading estate in Ashton Gate ? I can't remember its official name.

Coronation Tap, I've been in there but preferred the pubs by the Docks.

the whitening yard I think was called the ship I drive by it weekly but don't think it's still trading the malsters now that rings a bell think I used to drink there many years ago but can only remember the name and not much else I now only tend to drink in the orchard or the black horse in Clapton in gordano depending which side of town I,m working and the camp house is still going and on my list this summer when I,m next on the Severn as I,ve heard much about it .thanks for the memory's I,d say you were a resident in the late 80 ,s early 90 ,s and had a good taste in pubs A.T.B. Paul

Aaah the Coronation Tap, way back in the late 1960`s / early 70`s when the cider was 10p a pint and 25p was the cost of a good night out I used to pop in for a half in the early evening, there was always a buzz of conversation and I would sit down to read the `Evening Post`, it took a while to realise that the `buzz of conversation` was, in fact the sound of all the other customers talking to themselves, funny stuff, cider.

There used to be, and may well still be, a cider pub in Stourport-on-Severn. It was not unusual to see a beer drinker go in and have four or five pints of "kids drinks" sick.gif

Great entertainment for the regulars.

• Greenie 1

Are there any good cider pubs? One or two (hundred)...

In the past couple of days, while out boating, we've visited the White Bear in Tewkesbury, Café René in Gloucester, and the Tudor Arms at Shepherds Patch, all with excellent cider. There's several good cider pubs in Worcester too: the Cardinal's Hat, the King Charles II and the Plough all have several.

Unsurprisingly, you'll find decent cider fairly easily in the West. It's much more difficult in the East Midlands or the North. But not impossible!

. The corrie tap is just up the road from the orchard which is the best cider pub in the country and has many certificates to.support the claim it is tucked away just behind the ss Great Britain on the harbour side i know many cider drinkers and none of them go to the tap it's for visitors a bit of a pretend cider pub around these parts

Yes, the Orchard is a great pub, also won't go too far wrong in uncle Toms In wincanton, forgotten many a good night in there mind!

I visited The Monkey House at Defford near Pershore a few years ago, one of only a handful of proper cider houses left in the country. The cider is served via a hatch in the side of the house, and the drinking is done outside or in a small outbuilding with a nice open fire.

They had two ciders on when I went there, but the proprietor told me one was for locals only. Lovely cider, and definitely something to experience at least once if you can.

You may find some information here at the listings here: http://ukcider.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Cider_Pub_Guide

I used to contribute to it but it got taken over by opinionated wikifiddlers, and has largely died a death as a result. But there's still some useful old listings there.

You may find some information here at the listings here: http://ukcider.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Cider_Pub_Guide

I used to contribute to it but it got taken over by opinionated wikifiddlers, and has largely died a death as a result. But there's still some useful old listings there.

I think some of it has been recently updated.

Meanwhile, canalside ideas....

The Black Lion, Consall Forge had a great cider selection a couple of summers ago.

The Anchor, High Offley has Old Rosie.

Bridge 61, Foxton also has Old Rosie.

.... And all with moorings within easy staggering distance ;)

Frances

I think there is a vast difference in this neck of the woods in what I would consider a cider pub and what many from further north think of as a cider pub so in general most proper cider pups are rather small have just one bar and no lounge an open fire or woodburner and an assortment of dogs under the tables usually a pack of terriers and a few lurchers mostly no jukebox and the telly only comes out on major national sporting events and more importantly the cider does,nt come from pumps or in glass bottles but from an oak barrel and is cloudy not clear they are not just normal pubs that sell thatchers gold on draught or a bottle of magners from the fridge with ice cubes in this is just how I see a proper cider pup being a bit of a purist and not trying to detract from anyone else's pleasure as long as you enjoy it it must be good

• Greenie 1

Greenie for you Craftycarper , that's what I call a proper pub. I left Bristol for good early eighties.

Do you remember "Natch" , in bottles but none the worse for that. Is the Taunton cider company still going?

I would make my own , the press isn't too difficult to make but the scratter is the problem . Chopping up several dustbins full of apples is a big job.

Greenie for you Craftycarper , that's what I call a proper pub. I left Bristol for good early eighties.

Do you remember "Natch" , in bottles but none the worse for that. Is the Taunton cider company still going?

I would make my own , the press isn't too difficult to make but the scratter is the problem . Chopping up several dustbins full of apples is a big job.

we use those garden hedge shredders round here just tip apples In the hopper and catch the pulp coming out rap in sacking and squeeze out your cider

we use those garden hedge shredders round here just tip apples In the hopper and catch the pulp coming out rap in sacking and squeeze out your cider

do you use the ones that "chop" like the McCulloch's or the "crush" type like the Bosch ? cheers.gif

do you use the ones that "chop" like the McCulloch's or the "crush" type like the Bosch ? :cheers:

the few I have seen are just cheap black and decker ones that chop into bits there is a guy that lives in portbury somewhere that actually converts them just for chopping apples he sells them at country shows don't know what he changes around in them but have heard good things about them but never seen them in action