New town/marinas

b0atman

Featured Posts

Just a thought why do the government not put money for new residential marinas in the south east London area.

These could even be built on flood plains and would help towards the housing shortage and alleviate the CM problem on the canals in that area.

Just a thought for discussion.

Because boats are not appreciating assets, houses are.

I don't think that the property market (especially in the SE) is sustainable, but I'm only one person.

South east London?? Boats?? Surely you meant West London?

I believe there is a big problem with building new residential marinas or moorings..

A lot of people who live on boats do it because it is cheap. They Do Not Want to pay for a residential mooring ie rent. So you would end up with a load of empty marinas.

All IMO of course ;)

South east London?? Boats?? Surely you meant West London?

I believe there is a big problem with building new residential marinas or moorings..

A lot of people who live on boats do it because it is cheap. They Do Not Want to pay for a residential mooring ie rent. So you would end up with a load of empty marinas.

All IMO of course ;)

Expand the Quaggy maybe?

There's a lot of confusion here, and I wonder where the OP meant, perhaps some of the land well down the river at Erith/Dartford.

Much of the river bank within London is already heavily developed and you'd have to demolish some expensive property to build a marina.

Parts of SE London could be vulnerable to flooding in future, partly due to the slow tilting of Britain which means the south and east costs are gradually sinking while the north and west coasts rise, but also due to global warming raising the sea anyway.

Quite a lot of land along the river is low-lying; the south bank from London Bridge to Vauxhall is pretty flat all the way down to Camberwell and is only kept dry because the Woolwich barrier protects it. That area used to be marshy, so for a long time the only extension of London south of the river was around the south end of London Bridge; it was the only bridge.

There were indeed canals...

The Grand Surrey from the Surrey Docks went under the Old Kent Road (of Monopoly fame) and branched to Camberwell and Peckham (of Del Boy Trotter fame):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Surrey_Canal

The Croydon Canal branched off it to, well, Croydon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croydon_Canal

The latter closed in 1836 and the land was used for the West Croydon to New Cross railway, which follows a slightly straightened version of the canal route, because the canal followed a contour on the south side of Sydenham Hill, later the site of the Crystal Palace. West Croydon station is on the site of the basin that was at the end of the canal.

Not much chance of ever restoring that one, although a short stretch I sometimes played around as a boy survives in Betts Park, Anerley SE20; see the photo on Wikipedia. There's a slipway into it, but somehow I can't see the owners Bromley Council selling residential mooring permits.

I thought that the proposed new town was in a flood prone area.

Realisticaly I would assume marinas would fill with widebeams barges etc.

In the London catchment area with a residential mooring I would not think depreciation would be an issue.

Thamesmead is a 'new town' in South East London. It's also built on a flood plain. It's also one of the most depressing places in the country. I should know, I grew up next door to it.

Or maybe someone will build a marina in deptford creek?

Lots of empty space in Tilbury docks expect it will get even emptier when London Gateway gets into full swing......opportunity for someone perhapsunsure.png

edit for missed letter

Edited by John V

partly due to the slow tilting of Britain

When did we start to tilt? Does this mean people will be born in future with one leg shorter than the other so we can balance?

It's really untilting after the last ice age, when the north sank a bit more than the south under the greater weight of ice.

Iain

Because boats are not appreciating assets, houses are.

i don't think that the property market (especially in the SE) is sustainable, but I'm only one person.

Agreed.

Also if it were boats and not flats, there would be no golden handshakes and multi million pound sweeteners or contracts for their mates. It's quite frightening the corruption that goes on.