Hillmorton Duplicate Locks 175th Anniversary

c c

Featured Posts

I think the bridge being talked about is circled in red. The blue line is the original Oxford Canal route and the green the present day line.

Apologies for the wiggly lines :)

oxcanal2_zps079d8d15.jpg

Not only does the year 2015 have the 175th anniversary of Morton Flight Duplicate Locks when three new additional locks were completed and opened on 15th August 1840, but also, the 225th Anniversary of the Canal reaching Oxford when the final section into central Oxford was ceremonially opened on 1 January 1790.

So to get great minds suggesting how these historic canal dates should be celebrated,

1840 – Wedding of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert - British postal service begins with the world’s first postage stamp, the Penny Black - First British colonise New Zealand.

PLUS

1790 - King George III is on the throne - Louise XVl is King of France but threatened by a Revolution - George Washington is the First US President - William Pitt the Younger wins the General Election - William Bligh returns to report a mutiny on HMS Bounty - British colonisation of Australia is 2 years old.

Maybe a demonstration by a pair of loaded boats ascending or descending the flight using the 'proper method' of both locks and a 100 'something' ft line from the butties mast. Quite a sight watching a pair drop down the three in under 20 min!

This would be both fitting and educational as to how the locks were in practice actually used and indeed still used by some of us today!

Maybe a demonstration by a pair of loaded boats ascending or descending the flight using the 'proper method' of both locks and a 100 'something' ft line from the butties mast. Quite a sight watching a pair drop down the three in under 20 min!

This would be both fitting and educational as to how the locks were in practice actually used and indeed still used by some of us today!

Number one idea - Can you do it? If not, who can and will?

The principle / practice is the same regardless of whether the boats are loaded or empty - so why not do it yourselves with BADSEY and ANGEL ? Most onlookers will be more interested in the visual demonstration rather than whether the boats are loaded or not.

I do however find a crew of three with a pair makes it easiest, one on the motor, one on the butty and one setting the next pair of locks whilst ensuring nobody else pinches one of the locks !

I think the bridge being talked about is circled in red. The blue line is the original Oxford Canal route and the green the present day line.

Apologies for the wiggly lines smile.png

oxcanal2_zps079d8d15.jpg

You are quite right it is the river, but why the white paint? Was there ever an arm off the canal there?

Edited by ditchcrawler

The principle / practice is the same regardless of whether the boats are loaded or empty - so why not do it yourselves with BADSEY and ANGEL ? Most onlookers will be more interested in the visual demonstration rather than whether the boats are loaded or not.

I do however find a crew of three with a pair makes it easiest, one on the motor, one on the butty and one setting the next pair of locks whilst ensuring nobody else pinches one of the locks !

Because Pete, the only time I towed Angel through the Locks it took just long enough for any crowd to get bored and go home! What we need are some experts.

I have just been given this :-

"Fellows Morton & Clayton were one of the first companies to use steam engine driven boats and built 31 of them between 1889 and 1931".

So its down to horses only if we want to conform to 1840 but there is no reason why we can't follow history through the ages is there?

Incidentaly, the horse stables at the old Hillmorton NEW INN are only now being alterred to modern use.

"Fellows Morton & Clayton were one of the first companies to use steam engine driven boats and built 31 of them between 1889 and 1931".

So its down to horses only if we want to conform to 1840 but there is no reason why we can't follow history through the ages is there?

Incidentaly, the horse stables at the old Hillmorton NEW INN are only now being alterred to modern use.

I think they look quite smart, just the roof is wrong IMO

we did it, with help ,(thankyou Keith and Ann Bottle) and the locks were quite at the time.I,m sure if you had a word with the Historic Narrow boat Club they would be willing to help,(sorry ours are not historic). if you want a proper horse drawn you could ask "olive"(ex LMS) butty.

Not sure if we will be in the area until nearer the time. HNBC would be a good start, maybe Aquarius and Ilford ?? who are loading loose coal up the Ashby at the moment? If you are stuck then we are happy to come out for the day if you will let us loose on Badsey and Angel. Maybe rope in some stalwarts like Nick Hill?

Not sure if we will be in the area until nearer the time. HNBC would be a good start, maybe Aquarius and Ilford ?? who are loading loose coal up the Ashby at the moment? If you are stuck then we are happy to come out for the day if you will let us loose on Badsey and Angel. Maybe rope in some stalwarts like Nick Hill?

HNBC contacted.

Nick Wolfe has bagged Angel.

PM me your contact details and we'll keep you informed.

if you want a proper horse drawn you could ask "olive"(ex LMS) butty.

Sue Day is horse boating expert

Can you PM me contact details for the above two people ?

or ask them to contact us please?

I wonder if anyone has ever done any metal detecting along these lost sections. When I consider all the bits and pieces I've lost overboard over the years I guess there is probably a fair cache of 18th and 19th century metalwork to be found in the dried up canal beds around Rugby and Brinklow.

I've had a little try but I've found it hard to get permission to detect in this area. If anyone can get permission to go on any of these old loops I can lend you a detector to try with if you let me come with you :)

All I've found so far is this little brass tin with a silver star on top..

PXHgBMg.jpg

MivWI0t.jpg

HNBC contacted.

Nick Wolfe has bagged Angel.

PM me your contact details and we'll keep you informed.

Can you PM me contact details for the above two people ?

or ask them to contact us please?

Will have a word with Olive's owners sometime today will forward later.

Obviously I do not know who gave you this snippet but it is simply not true as there were several companies operating steam driven narrow boats before F.M.C. Ltd., and some of these pre-dated F.M.C. Ltd. by several years. In fact both Fellows, Morton and Company and William Clayton both operated steam driven narrow boats before merging to become F.M.C. Ltd. in 1889, and these were purchased second hand - and some of their later 'steamers' were rebuilds of these earlier acquisitions.

Obviously I do not know who gave you this snippet but it is simply not true as there were several companies operating steam driven narrow boats before F.M.C. Ltd., and some of these pre-dated F.M.C. Ltd. by several years. In fact both Fellows, Morton and Company and William Clayton both operated steam driven narrow boats before merging to become F.M.C. Ltd. in 1889, and these were purchased second hand - and some of their later 'steamers' were rebuilds of these earlier acquisitions.

It does say "one of the first", not "the first", though.

It does say "one of the first", not "the first", though.

But they were nowhere near "one of the first" (which is the statement I was responding to), and if anything they were possibly one of the last to start using steamers !

Edited by pete harrison