Aylesbury Basin

GeoffS

Featured Posts

Yes.

There is various building and piling work going on, but there are still visitor moorings and you can still turn. There is probably more water space to turn in than when ACS were there and busy!

N

I hope you're not planning to go down next week, like we were, because the arm is closed at the top lock on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday next week.

No I saw that. Thought I may take a look at Easter. Havent been down for 4/5 years and would like to see all the changes.

Plenty of room:

Thanks.P1000558-L.jpg

Thanks! Even I should be able to get round in one then!

Edited by GeoffS

No I saw that. Thought I may take a look at Easter. Havent been down for 4/5 years and would like to see all the changes.

Wait till you see the size of the Arla dairy. It`s taken a big chunk of countryside that was pleasing to the eye.

Edited by valrene9600

Wait till you see the size of the Arla dairy. It`s taken a big chunk of countryside that was pleasing to the eye.

I had the misfortune of walking around the Arla site on a scorching hot day last summer. We did a sponsored 50km charity walk at work last year and one day 2 of us did a training walk that was to take us from Grove Church to Aylesbury and back. When we reached the collapsed lock I looked at the diversion map and set off in what I thought was the right direction around the diary. We walked and walked on hot tarmac until we eventually found a way back to the canal. As we returned to the towpath I spotted a couple who had been sitting on a bench at the start of the diversion and it then dawned on me that we had set off in the wrong direction and taken a far longer and uncomfortable route. The return walk was a lot more pleasant and quicker!

Is there much to do in Aylesbury? Restaurants, pubs etc. I am thinking of including it on my travels this summer.

New Waterside Theatre, Best pub is the Farmer's Bar at the Kings Head, Market Square, a little hidden away but a wonderful old building.

The old Bat is open as a 'not quite sure' user, but if you can get in excellent view of stained glass window and wattle and daube wall.

Small Museum (ruined and made child friendly).

General shopping, but not much of old Aylesbury survived the 60's redevelopment - a real shame, now a ruined town.

M.

L.

Is there much to do in Aylesbury? Restaurants, pubs etc. I am thinking of including it on my travels this summer.

There are dozens of restaurants and pubs in Aylesbury but as Leo says little or nothing of historical/heritage value. If you can get the transport organised Waddesdon Manor is well worth a visit.

Best pubs are the Bell (Wetherspoons) and the Kings Head (Chiltern Brewery/National Trust). Before the two Wetherspoons pubs opened we would often trek to the Hop Pole on Bicester Road owned by the Vale Brewery which has an amazing range of real ales but it is a bit of a walk.

Tim

The good ship from the Gas Light and Coke Co. will be visiting there in 2 weeks.

Say hi if you see us.

Hi,

Stopping at the Cowroast?.

L

There are dozens of restaurants and pubs in Aylesbury but as Leo says little or nothing of historical/heritage value. If you can get the transport organised Waddesdon Manor is well worth a visit.

Best pubs are the Bell (Wetherspoons) and the Kings Head (Chiltern Brewery/National Trust). Before the two Wetherspoons pubs opened we would often trek to the Hop Pole on Bicester Road owned by the Vale Brewery which has an amazing range of real ales but it is a bit of a walk.

Tim

Agreed, alternatively if you want a bit of a change wander to the Railway station (close to basin) and catch the train to Wendover (good service, about 5 miles down the line). Nice large village, some well preserved buildings and the original terminus / wharf serving the Wendover arm - some good pubs too!.

L.