How do you feel, when someone hits you?

Ricco1

Featured Posts

Yours is the only post with a slightly different angle. Everyone else seems to accept these things and only get hot under the collar if the person who caused the collision has a bad attitude. You mentioned an insurance claim...

If we compare this to driving cars: A tiny collision causing a small dent inevitably results in the car being garaged for repair, and an insurance claim. The culture is generally different with boats, right?

The comparison with cars is very poor. Canal boats when in use are continually making contact with lock walls, lock landings, moorings etc., they are built for that to be part of normal life. Occasionally brushing alongside another boat is not really any different. Hitting other boats should be avoided if at all possible.

Tim

Yours is the only post with a slightly different angle. Everyone else seems to accept these things and only get hot under the collar if the person who caused the collision has a bad attitude. You mentioned an insurance claim...

If we compare this to driving cars: A tiny collision causing a small dent inevitably results in the car being garaged for repair, and an insurance claim. The culture is generally different with boats, right?

Yes,I think it's a bit more give n take with boats.I just think we all have to be a bit sensible about it all, I would hope no one intends to cause damage to other boats, & if going slow & sensible,suitably fenderd,I wouldn't have thought a lot of damage would occur anyway.

And to be fair,if the damage caused to my boat was on the Blacked Hull,then I probably would have just waved him on & got back to my Cider & Donuts. But A 3ft Scuff,through the paint and down to the Metal, measuring

approximately 2inch wide,taking the 2pack Paint job off my Cabin Sides,,I considered a

different matter. So why wouldn't I mention,and pursue an insurance claim ?. Rocco 1.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

"Contact Sport" should only be used by the person who has been hit in the vein of "Don't worry about it" or "Shit Happens" when there's no damage of note. To use it as an excuse for hitting someone else is irritating at best.

I agree entirely...........except for the fact that car bumpers are made of flimsy plastic these days. They don't survive a passionate kiss from another car!!

Even when car bumpers were made of sturdy chrome-plated steel people still used to demand theirs were repaired after doing their job, 'on the insurance'.

Now this same attitude seems to have percolated into a large section of the canal boat owning population. Hulls and blacking are designed to be bumped against yet some people are desperately precious about any contact. We need to draw a distinction between contact of any sort, and contact that causes physical distortion of a hull. Very different!

When did third party insurance first become compulsory on the cut?

"Contact Sport" should only be used by the person who has been hit in the vein of "Don't worry about it" or "Shit Happens" when there's no damage of note. To use it as an excuse for hitting someone else is irritating at best.

My sentiments entirely - I have said it to obviously inexperienced and embarrassed boaters after they've bumped our boat. if I bump somebody else's then a wave and a "Sorry" is my usual reaction.

Mike, do you remember when those solid, chromed car bumpers had vertical attachments called overriders?Ttheir purpose appeared to be to divert the prang so that the vehicle which hit yours rode up over your bumper and smashed into the (often less solid) bodywork. I wonder which genius invented them and how much a car manufacturer paid him to come up with the idea.

Even when car bumpers were made of sturdy chrome-plated steel people still used to demand theirs were repaired after doing their job, 'on the insurance'.

Volvo had the right idea a few years ago. Bumpers were made for bumping end of! As far as I am concerned, nowadays cars do not have bumpers fitted, they simply have bodywork designed to expensively flex to protect the occupants.

George ex nb Alton retired

Exactly. So why do most boats have their hulls painted in the cabin colours between the rubbing strip and the gunwhale?

They don't around here. Gloss black is probably the majority colour. It's part of the hull, and will inevitably get scraped whatever the colour.

Tim

Exactly. So why do most boats have their hulls painted in the cabin colours between the rubbing strip and the gunwhale?

Because if the rubbing strip lives up to its name, it should protect that paintwork from much damage.

is the theory.

Volvo had the right idea a few years ago. Bumpers were made for bumping end of! As far as I am concerned, nowadays cars do not have bumpers fitted, they simply have bodywork designed to expensively flex to protect the occupants.

Yes, I had several Saab cars, with foam-filled rubber bumpers.

One winter, on a local lane an almost new Skoda had slid off the road on a patch of ice. I came along and slid in exactly the same spot in my Saab, straight into the back of the Skoda. It was touch & go whether the Skoda would be written off, my car was almost unmarked, just a scratch on the bonnet.

Tim

Well, ours is painted bright red between the blacking and the (black) cabin sides. That's just because I like the way it looks, and all black would be too gloomy. But I take the attitude that it will need to be rubbed down before the next time it is repainted so any contact with lock gates, other boats, etc is just starting that process a little early!

Because if the rubbing strip lives up to its name, it should protect that paintwork from much damage.

is the theory.

Just one tiny requirement for that to work. All top rubbing strips would need to be at exactly the same height.

Just one tiny requirement for that to work. All top rubbing strips would need to be at exactly the same height.

Rubbing strips do a fine job on vertical things such as walls, lock sides, lock moorings, etc. But its going to be chance that they line up with another boat. Hence I tend to avoid contact with other boats.

Also someone mentioned well placed fenders - its going to be tricky to get fenders in the right place to cover every eventuality on a narrowboat.

My view is, just because there are Fenders or Rubbing Strikes or Strips fitted to someones boat ,It shouldn't put anyone in the frame of mind to put them to the test !. The same as Bumpers on a car doesn't send out an invite for people to try them out just to see if you're Airbag works,

And if someone then causes DAMAGE due to contact, then it's Surly up to the DAMAGED boat owner weather they wave it off,or not,and not the person who's hit you to warrant or justify

the contact by saying, 'Well you've got Rubbing strikes and fenders anyway,so what's your problem'. DAMAGE to Paint Work,,Boat,,Rubbing Strike,,Popped Fender, OR Scalding Water from the Kettle being tipped over the Poured when

contact was made or whatever is still DAMAGE surly.

Or am I missing something here.

I've tried to make it obvious that I'm only talking about actual Damage,,not just making contact as most of us do.

• Greenie 1

Do people actually ever scald themselves with boiling water when another boat hits them? I have windows in my kitchen, if it looks like a boat is about to strike ours I'd probably brace myself or go out to have a better look, I'd not instinctively pick up the kettle just at that moment in time. Also, the handle is at the top in the middle, so I'd hold the handle and the boiling water would flow downwards out the spout when I tip the kettle, not upwards over my hand. Even if I were jolted at the time, it would only splash the water around the local area directly underneath the kettle. Maybe I'd miss the cup, but I'd not end up pouring gallons of it over my body. I suspect its a bit of a myth that boats regularly hit others and scolding accidents occur like this.

I've only been aboard for 6 months so don't claim to be an expert, not by any stretch of the imagination. I've had a couple of dodgy situations, and clipped another boat once, which made me feel terrible. Strong winds don't help, no doubt about that.

Yesterday I was enjoying a cuppa when this boat went past, pretty close. The 'helmsperson' was moving the tiller frantically from one side to another, the engine revving quite seriously. Her boating partner was prodding at oncoming boats with her bargepole, trying (unsuccessfully) to avoid hitting and generally bumping into at least 3 boats. When she hit mine I went outside, just had a look around and at the ensuing carnage, didn't say a word.

Was that the right thing to do, should we all accept that boating is a type of (quite slow) contact sport?

When someone hit my boat with a phenomenal thwack and caused £4500 pounds worth of damage and didn't stop I felt quite sick. The feeling sick was from the adrenalin rushing through my body following the boat keeling over and spinning around from the impact. (Edit to add the boat that did the damage did show up the next day and insurance dealt with the rest)

I don't like bumping other peoples boats and if I do, it is an accident. I tend to think that if someone else bumps my boat they don't mean to either.

If someone is prodding with boats with a pole I will generally pop out and offer assistance as a misplaced/slipping pole can easily go through the window.I would also take random revs and tiller movements as an indication someone might need some help in which case I ask if they need a hand. If I can help I will.

There is no need to go about hitting other peoples boats but sometimes these things happen. I still haven't lost the ability to say sorry if I do.

Edited by Bones

Just what I was about to say

I've only been aboard for 6 months so don't claim to be an expert, not by any stretch of the imagination. I've had a couple of dodgy situations, and clipped another boat once, which made me feel terrible. Strong winds don't help, no doubt about that.

Yesterday I was enjoying a cuppa when this boat went past, pretty close. The 'helmsperson' was moving the tiller frantically from one side to another, the engine revving quite seriously. Her boating partner was prodding at oncoming boats with her bargepole, trying (unsuccessfully) to avoid hitting and generally bumping into at least 3 boats. When she hit mine I went outside, just had a look around and at the ensuing carnage, didn't say a word.

Was that the right thing to do, should we all accept that boating is a type of (quite slow) contact sport?

I would rather a boat hit me than they use a pole to fend off,

I don't get to bothered about it but never been hit hard enough to do damage. Most are just glancing blows, but it would be different it I was T boned or hit up the bum that caused a dint. Let alone a boat pole down the cabin side or through the porthole.

Do people actually ever scald themselves with boiling water when another boat hits them? I have windows in my kitchen, if it looks like a boat is about to strike ours I'd probably brace myself or go out to have a better look, I'd not instinctively pick up the kettle just at that moment in time. Also, the handle is at the top in the middle, so I'd hold the handle and the boiling water would flow downwards out the spout when I tip the kettle, not upwards over my hand. Even if I were jolted at the time, it would only splash the water around the local area directly underneath the kettle. Maybe I'd miss the cup, but I'd not end up pouring gallons of it over my body. I suspect its a bit of a myth that boats regularly hit others and scolding accidents occur like this.

Really !.

So out of all the points made in my post, you concentrated on casting doubt on just one of the many Examples given of what might occur, if someone was to hit your boat whilst pouring a cuppa.! Trying to highlight that Damage isn't always to a thing,,and not always obvious from the outside.

But in fairness to you,it's wonderful to know that there are people put there that look out of the window or as you suggest go so far as to go out on deck and check if anything is comming every time you pick something hot up off the cooker or stove !.

Really !.

So out of all the points made in my post, you concentrated on casting doubt on just one of the many Examples given of what might occur, if someone was to hit your boat whilst pouring a cuppa.!

But in fairness to you,it's wonderful to know that there are people put there that look out of the window or as you suggest go so far as to go out on deck and check if anything is comming every time you pick something hot up off the cooker or stove !.

Yeah, I chose to cast doubt on the ridiculous one.

Yes, I look out the windows quite a lot on the boat, or rather, my peripheral vision notices things like 15 ton narrowboats at close range. I don't go out on deck all the time, but my dog does.