Burnt out shell

Diesel007

Featured Posts

Well wether you meant to cause offence or not the fact remains that you did, so perhaps rather than coming back on a slagging off the contributions of 'multi thousand, contributors' the normal course of action would have been a simple apology. Slagging off people on the basis of how many posts somebody has made is neither original, nor particularly bothersome to those it is aimed at. it happens so often it is like water off a ducks back.

You may not think you were being rude but some on here ( including somebody who moors at Hatton) thought you were being.

Good on the OP coming back and explaining his observations, in a lucid and non-defensive manner. I don't think he has anything to apologise for. I agree that the number of posts of a contributor is irrelevant in this case, only their attitude, which he has clearly read enough of the forum to be able to assess.

Edited to say that RWLP has a far more sanguine and amiable attitude than you imbue him with; even Mrs Tawny Owl was only 'slightly miffed!'

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Good on the OP coming back and explaining his observations, in a lucid and non-defensive manner. I don't think he has anything to apologise for. I agree that the number of posts of a contributor is irrelevant in this case, only their attitude, which he has clearly read enough of the forum to be able to assess.

Lucid and non defensive?

Really?

Of course you don't think he has anything to apologise for because saw nothing wrong with the content of his original post.

Lucid and non defensive?

Really?

Of course you don't think he has anything to apologise for because saw nothing wrong with the content of his original post.

I can only point people in the direction of the OP's second post and let them form their own opinion. Mine, FWIW, is that and Cheshire Rose's are the most positive and illuminating in this thread. If greenies in the course of the thread mean anything, a lot of people will concur.

Edited to say that RWLP has a far more sanguine and amiable attitude than you imbue him with; even Mrs Tawny Owl was only 'slightly miffed!'

You added a bit.

Yes I agree they took it in relatively good spirit I agree.

However it remains an issue that both in his original post and his last one he demonstrates a prejudice against boats that in his opinion 'should not be on the system' this the more general point I am making. Since when has it been his place to make that call?

Ok yes there are boats that are clearly abandoned and or so dilapidated that they present a potential hazard to others but I read his comments as based on pure aesthetics based on a boat being 'a bit scruffy' or less than shiny. The only boat at Hatton that seems justified of any comment was the sunken one and even that is likely getting sorted but Richard or Sue may be able to comment as to if there are other boats in a similarly bad way there.

Edited by The Dog House

Obviously some will agree with my sentiments, some will not, but at the end of the day i just want to see the networks become a place for all to enjoy and worthy of future investment from as many sources a s possible.

Gets his coat on and leaves.

Well said, I do feel you got a bit of a rough ride.

Bob

PS Our boat isn't polished!

edit for spiling

Edited by lyraboat

I can only point people in the direction of the OP's second post and let them form their own opinion. Mine, FWIW, is that and Cheshire Rose's are the most positive and illuminating in this thread. If greenies in the course of the thread mean anything, a lot of people will concur.

Quite likely because as Alan said earlier boaters seem to get wound up about other boaters 'scruffy' boats so as there are a good few boaters here they will simply press the green button in agreement.

There are a number of actual comments in thread ( rather than green votes) which would indicate a number do not concur.

However it remains an issue that both in his original post and his last one he demonstrates a prejudice against boats that in his opinion 'should not be on the system' this the more general point I am making. Since when has it been his place to make that call?

It isn't an issue - it's an opinion. His place is as a member of the public, many of whom I suspect share his views. THAT is the issue.

It isn't an issue - it's an opinion. His place is as a member of the public, many of whom I suspect share his views. THAT is the issue.

No the issue is that he his being judgemental. His opinion may be that some boats are scruffy, I am saying 'so what?' Why is it any of your business to pass such an opinion. We will listen to that opinion but don't be surprised if you get comments about it......

Any body who knows anything about boaters and boating will know there are a shed load of reasons why some boats do not look in their 'prime' ranging from issues of affordability through to 'couldn't give a monkeys it's my boat I like the way it looks'.

Edited by The Dog House

Aaarghh! You've anagrammed me!

The OP is entitled to his opinion.

Hatton as a mooring is quite complicated. The burnt out boat is what it is, there will be some complicated insurance thing going on until it is recovered. I'm not sure what is moored between the waterpoint and us on the lock landing/water point mooring. that space often attracts boats for short periods of time during the quieter months. Next comes the long term moorings which are, as I said before, unpowered, moorings in a gloomy, tree-lined cutting next to a muddy towpath. There are only a few boats on the moorings. five at the most, at least two of which are lived on by some of the friendliest. most helpful people I know on the cut (no, not us). Their boats may not be the smartest, they are not the scruffiest either. Beyond that are the visitor moorings. I don't know who or what is moored there currently, or on the offside private moorings further on

Hatton has changes a lot in the ten years we have been there. Then, the cafe had only just opened and attracted a few walkers and cyclists at the weekend. Nowadays, with the improved pay and display car parking near the bridge, and the CRT volunteers, and the new towpath and access road up the locks, it's a lot more busy

Richard

Well, well, the delights of forum membership. What a waste of time and effort this thread has become, not to mention the effect on a few peoples blood pressure judging by the vehemence of some of the posts, calm down dear it was just an innocent comment. A little bit more live and let live and less 'stick up the jacksie' attitude would make the forum a bit less threatening to relatively new members. Shame really (all in my opinion of course) wink.png

• Greenie 1

Well, well, the delights of forum membership. What a waste of time and effort this thread has become, not to mention the effect on a few peoples blood pressure judging by the vehemence of some of the posts, calm down dear it was just an innocent comment. A little bit more live and let live and less 'stick up the jacksie' attitude would make the forum a bit less threatening to relatively new members. Shame really (all in my opinion of course) ;)

Surely if you really felt it was a waste of time and effort you wouldn't have wasted your time and effort contributing to it though eh...

I think the comment was more thoughtless than innocent.

Ps you must have a nice shiny boat judging by those nice shiny steps in you avatar....;)

Well, well, the delights of forum membership. What a waste of time and effort this thread has become, not to mention the effect on a few peoples blood pressure judging by the vehemence of some of the posts, calm down dear it was just an innocent comment. A little bit more live and let live and less 'stick up the jacksie' attitude would make the forum a bit less threatening to relatively new members. Shame really (all in my opinion of course) wink.png

You shiny boaters are all the same

Richard

tongue.png

here you go again have you know mirrors in your sad little home because I think a good look at yourself and some of the pants you keep posting would be of some benefit to yourself and the rest of us it seems you are on a mission to have the last word on every subject posted I won't be replying again so please feel free to get stuck in and make yourself feel slightly superior ...I sit back and wait the 3 seconds it normally takes for reply number 20,917

Sorry not quite three seconds, I must be losing my touch.

Use the ignore tacitly if my posts bug you so much.

'My sad little home' is quite a happy little home thanks. I am fascinated that some people still think it's original and somehow incisive to comment on post numbers when it clearly doesn't bother those of us who have a high post count when somebody thinks they are being clever mentioning it.

Ed and yes indeed have another greenie......

Edited by The Dog House

Come on all you scruffy boat owners (read that both ways) and do the right thing if you really love the canals - pull the plug on your scruffy boat and send it to Davey Jones' locker (or whoever the equivalent is on the canals) help tidy up the canal system. And to prove you really do love the canals keep paying your licence fees to CRT as a donation. Let me and my ilk cruise around representing what's best in Britain.

RULE BRITANNIA BRITANNIA RULES THE WAVES LA LA LA...

mumbles last time I start drinking this early I feel sick...blink.png

• Greenie 1

You have a sailing boat on the cut? Wow!

Sailing boats on the Grand Junction Canal became so popular in the first 6 years from its opening, that the GJCC had to rush in a fresh Parliamentary Act [1801] in order to ban them. They were obviously getting to interfere with the serious business of freight carriage. Difficult to dodge.

Good evening just read through the thread made me smile as always :) My boat is a bit shiny we are out on it this week so I have given her a wash the wheelhouse will get its oiling when I get back and I will polish her as well! It was hard work last year spraying her and making her pretty and non rusty something I dont wish to repeat to often. I dont care if other boat owners have a patina of age to them because its there boat not mine! I know that polish does a great job of protecting To-Joyce so I do it as often as I can if others dont want to who cares not me its a free world..............isnt it?

Peter

The OP has made three posts in a year. I doubt we will see them for a while regardless of whether they have taken umbridge at how some have responded to their rudeness.

Isn't that where the Archers is based. Please don't take umbrage about this comment. mellow.png

• Greenie 1

Isn't that where the Archers is based. Please don't take umbrage about this comment. mellow.png

I'm not at all upset, but for what it's worth: The Archers is set in Ambridge, and perhaps The Dog House was thinking of Dolores Umbridge, a character in Harry Potter. I'm also quite neutral in all this, being a fan of neither fictional world and regarding the OP as only a little frictional.

Surely if you really felt it was a waste of time and effort you wouldn't have wasted your time and effort contributing to it though eh...

I think the comment was more thoughtless than innocent.

Ps you must have a nice shiny boat judging by those nice shiny steps in you avatar....;)

L S A O M