Coast to coast with 1.4m depth.... Possible?

Tzusjourneyhome

Featured Posts

Hello, I need to bring my new-to-me boat home from the North East to the Welsh coast in April.

Plan A is to sail around but use the Forth and Clyde as a shortcut.

But would it be possible to enter the system at, say, Goole and exit it at Liverpool? I have 1.4 meter seawater depth - this is likely to equal about 1.45 m in fresh.

The masts will be dropped and fixed along the roofline so will extend the current 31ft to probably about 35ft.

I've looked on line and can find plenty of routes that look possible with regard to length and breadth but some don't seem to show depths or air draft. Anyone care to give me their thoughts?

Even a list of parts to definitely avoid would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum TJH,

Other members will have better answers based on experience of the Leeds Liverpool canal, but I don't think there's sufficient depth to get you all the way through.

I'm sure you could get to Leeds from Goole, but think you may well have to lift her out there and carry her the rest of the way

Tzusjourneyhome, on 13 Mar 2014 - 3:48 PM, said:

Hello, I need to bring my new-to-me boat home from the North East to the Welsh coast in April.

Plan A is to sail around but use the Forth and Clyde as a shortcut.

But would it be possible to enter the system at, say, Goole and exit it at Liverpool? I have 1.4 meter seawater depth - this is likely to equal about 1.45 m in fresh.

The masts will be dropped and fixed along the roofline so will extend the current 31ft to probably about 35ft.

I've looked on line and can find plenty of routes that look possible with regard to length and breadth but some don't seem to show depths or air draft. Anyone care to give me their thoughts?

Even a list of parts to definitely avoid would be appreciated.

Subject to confirmation of your air draft I would say you would be fine air draft and depth wise up to Castleford/probably Leeds after that I think you might struggle on some of the shallow bits of the L&L especially over the summit.

When I had my lifeboat I wanted to do the same thing move my boat from the East to a mooring on the Welsh Coast.

The boat drew less than yours (4 feet in saltwater) but, after painstakingly studying every available route I concluded it couldn't be done and the English Channel was probably the quickest route (I was moored in Essex) but round the top was the prettiest and least traffic.

Edited by carlt

Absolutely no chance on the Leeds Liverpool.

Even on the Forth & Clyde you are going to be close to the bottom, I think six foot is about the limit but being a canal you will doubtless encounter obstructions that make the workable draught less than that.

Welcome to the forum TJH,

Other members will have better answers based on experience of the Leeds Liverpool canal, but I don't think there's sufficient depth to get you all the way through.

I'm sure you could get to Leeds from Goole, but think you may well have to lift her out there and carry her the rest of the way

I'm not so sure it would even get to Leeds. I seem to remember we found the Knostrop cut amongst others shallow and we have nearly two foot less draft!

The Leeds & Liverpool was only built, in the main, for boats with 4' laden draught, possibly a bit less than that over the summit and most of it has seen no commercial traffic (& probably not much dredging) for the best part of 50 years. Anything over 4' would be a non-starter, I'm expecting a bit of a struggle in places with our 3'3".

Tim

Thank you all.. wasnt too bothered which route and Liverpool only thrown in as an example. I do know that the shallowest point on the Rochdale canal is 4'5 - Canal & River Trust staff on the relevant section are saying they may by able to increase the depth in that bit temporarily and enough to get me through. Manchester ship canal is also possible. Obviously i wouldnt want to have to turn round having invested a week in getting that far.

Thank you all.. wasnt too bothered which route and Liverpool only thrown in as an example. I do know that the shallowest point on the Rochdale canal is 4'5 - Canal & River Trust staff on the relevant section are saying they may by able to increase the depth in that bit temporarily and enough to get me through. Manchester ship canal is also possible. Obviously i wouldnt want to have to turn round having invested a week in getting that far.

So if you really have previously researched it and found a way why did you come on here and ask?

Really? I find that hard to believe, given what people who know the Rochdale have told me. Where did you glean that bit of information?

Tim

I do know that the shallowest point on the Rochdale canal is 4'5 - Canal & River Trust staff on the relevant section are saying they may by able to increase the depth in that bit temporarily and enough to get me through.

We were dragging the bottom in places on the Rochdale at 3ft draft. Not seriously, but 4ft 5 would be a very different matter.

So if you really have previously researched it and found a way why did you come on here and ask?

Becausei thought there was a decent chance of getting better information here. the observation about the Rochdale seems to support this.

please feel free to ignore me

I stronglysuspect that you have received a better quality of information on here, Tzuetc, without wishing to appear know-it-all in any way - as I suspected the number of our members who regularly traverse the Leeds & Liverpool, and often struggle - with only 3' draught, the likelihood of Tzu getting through is somewhere on a scale between Zero and none

You'll never get through the Rochdale with a 5' draught, I've heard of several boats with draughts approaching 3' having trouble. I don't think you can take the Calder and Hebble for granted either, it is surprisingly shallow. And to get to Pomona Lock to access the MSC you have to do a section of the Bridgewater which again you couldn't guarantee navigating on a boat of this type.

I have heard of sea going cruisers such as the Princess 32 successfully managing this crossing, but they only draw around three foot or so.

I reckon your best bet would be to get one of those "Man & Van & Trailer" types that advertise on ebay - bet you'd get it from Goole to Liverpool / Holyhead for a couple of hundred pounds.

It would probably cost you that in food alone if you tried to sail around.

It always used to amuse me (when we moored in Holyhead) when talking to the 'rag & stick' guys it had taken then 'days' to get there from Isle of Man - or Liverpool when we did it in under 3 hours

Their argument was always 'wind is free' - true - we used 1 gallon diesel per 1.5 miles

Anyone who told you that the Rochdale has at least 4'5 depth is either misinformed or lying. Even by regular canal standards, the section between immediately east of Manchester through Failsworth is very shallow. You have no chance that way.

I can't think of an east-west route for you. Even if you come south along the Trent and Soar, you're still gonna end up in shallow waters.

North to the Caledonian would seem your best bet. Good luck!

Tzusjourneyhome, on 13 Mar 2014 - 9:10 PM, said:

Becausei thought there was a decent chance of getting better information here. the observation about the Rochdale seems to support this.

please feel free to ignore me

I think anybody who thought you could get sufficient depth on the Rochdale must be bonkers TBH.

Anyone who told you that the Rochdale has at least 4'5 depth is either misinformed or lying. Even by regular canal standards, the section between immediately east of Manchester through Failsworth is very shallow. You have no chance that way.

I can't think of an east-west route for you. Even if you come south along the Trent and Soar, you're still gonna end up in shallow waters.

North to the Caledonian would seem your best bet. Good luck!

Going that way he wouldn't get along the Zouch Cut!