Single handed wide beam and older boat people getting through the system

woodjam

Featured Posts

After watching Prunella and Richard trying to navigate The K and A A though came to me.

With all the new people coming to the canals. What will happen when they are older eg a bit like pru. Going a bit forgetfull.

Or just a divorced guy or girl trying to manage the system on there own.

With all the lock keepers being made redundant and a handful of volunteers being left to do there jobs.How about the CRT LOOKING INTO THIS POTENTIAL MAJOR PROBLEM.

In this age of diversity surely they should help the single boaters or elderly boater to keep there independence.

Not remove there passage to independence..

Any ideas or thoughts.how single handed elderly can keep on cruising.

Every capable person, whatever their age, must take responsibility for themselves, and make the decisions appropriate for their condition and with cognisance of others around them.

The infirm should not be where they are a danger to themselves or others, (whether it be on land, water, or in the air)

The CRT are not a division of the Social Services.

Every capable person, whatever their age, must take responsibility for themselves, and make the decisions appropriate for their condition and with cognisance of others around them.

The infirm should not be where they are a danger to themselves or others, (whether it be on land, water, or in the air)

The CRT are not a division of the Social Services.

Indeed.

CRT being a charity does not mean they're the same as Age Concern or the like. They are a charity which looks after the waterways, not the people who choose to live on them in the same way that the National Trust looks after historic spaces and places not people.

Just because someone chooses to live on a boat does not mean they have a right to live on it. Living on a boat is much the same as if you rent a parcel of land from someone and move into a caravan on that land. If for whatever reason you can't manage living in that caravan any more then it is not up to the person owning the land to assist you.

You choose to own a boat and rent CRT's water (the licence fee). It is not up to CRT to look after you.

For people seeing living on the water as a cheap way to live need to understand that owning a boat is not the same as owning a house. A simplistic view is if you own a house you have a right to stay in that house as you own the land its on (obviously there are exceptions). Own a boat and you don't own the water (again there are exceptions but much in the minority).

Edited by IanM

BW have not employed any great number of lock keepers who sit at thier lock all day for about 60 years at a rough guess. People helping you through is a new CaRT thing.

A bit of an exageration, there were still plenty on the GU in the late 1960's/ early1970's. I can remember some of them quite well. Jack James at Stoke Bruerne , Jack Boswell (snr) at Cassiobury Park, Sam Horne at Berkhamstead, Sam Lomas(?) at Braunston plus many others who's names escape me at the moment

I am sure that Alan Fincher will be able remember more of them from the 1970's I believe his brother was one in Chilterns for a while, the one where the cellar filled with water if the lock was left full overnight, I believe.

Edited by David Schweizer

With modern technology surely we should be able to use our TV remote controls to operate paddles and gates .I should think that the National Lottery would give a grant for the modifications.

I'm a Cider Swilling,Donut munching Old,Fat & Single CCr,,(Can't imagine why,,,I'm such a catch),I have been lucky enough to have Traveled a fair bit. & As long as you're sensible, don't rush and have an afternoon nap it all tends to work out ok.

The Sun is Out, Hardly a breath of wind,The Sea is flat Calm, I think I may go to Eastbourne for a few days. Lucky Eastbourne Lock is manned.. as is most Sea locks,,Ahh Life is Good !.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Tony, most older people do there utmost to sort problems out themselves and do not EXPECT others to do everything for them.It is a trait of the aged to be stubborn and bloodyminded and refuse any help unless really really needed.

The original post was about offering a LITTLE help with general boating, nothing to do with living aboard nor having their *rse wiped just a little consideration that in the real world is proffered to those a little less able.

Phil

I disagree.

The original post was about CaRT dealing with a potential problem when boaters of any style or persuasion who should know its getting beyond them decide to keep on boating. This is NOT an issue for CaRT to consider, its for the individual boater.

I feel that you are misrepresenting the original post and would suggest that the content of the majority of replies confirms this opinion.

I can just imagine. Boats of the elderly, who can't manage anymore, towing a small butty. with a lock wheeler onboard solely for their use.

Like the bank manager in the cupboard ads from years ago.

Martyn edit as I don't know what a bitty is.

Edited by Nightwatch

Tony, I read the 0P to be something different and while I agree with you that we should all know when to call it a day in terms of age related infirmity I see that offering a little help as no different to say for instance assisting someone to change a wheel something I'm sure many here have done.

All the silly posturing about chair lifts and getting all the oldies off the water does rather muddy the water (no pun intended) the fact remains that when a lot of the said oldies started boating there were lockies aplenty and now through no fault of their own things have become a little more difficult

So just to be clear, when I can't manage I shall sell my boat but while I can if there is any assistance on offer I MAY take it.

Phil

We all have to Start Boating somewhere,,& We all have to Stop somewhere,,if other people's Kindness & Manners can prolong the stopping bit,then that got to be good in my book.

It's the same comparison as giving up ones seat,or holding a door open or carrying a bag up some stairs for someone.

If Cart or whoever can make a gesture to make it easier for someone who has probably been a customer for years anyway to remain on the water another year, I think that's great.

• Greenie 1

If Cart or whoever can make a gesture to make it easier for someone who has probably been a customer for years anyway to remain on the water another year, I think that's great.

Great idea yes, but would you want to see CRT spend a lot of effort and resources looking after boaters no longer able to manage or maintaining the waterways for everyone?

Boaters are meant to be a community so why not act like one,

Most boaters are willing to help others. When I have single handed I have had many an helpful person offer their labour .

Maybe the help is already out on the cut but newby armchair boaters are not aware of it .

Even the working boaters carried on into old age .

Great idea yes, but would you want to see CRT spend a lot of effort and resources looking after boaters no longer able to manage or maintaining the waterways for everyone?

Oh,don't get me wrong,,most of us has been in a situation that has involved being behind someone who isn't quite as quick either in mind or body taking 3 times as long to do a particular thing wether in the highstreet or the waterway. But as a customer,they have as much of a right,as another customer.

But I do think that if someone is charging for a service or facilities that are used by paying customers, Then they should provide for the Whole Range of Expected Customers.

That's why they have got Highchairs in Cafes, extending seatbelts on Plains,Disability Toilets and have Large Print bank statements .

After all would you stop managing your personal finances if you suddenly became visually impaired or Blind. Or would you thank other people or business if they made YOUR life just that bit easier for just that bit longer.

• Greenie 1

Too many are retiring, selling the house and not thinking about the future.

Maybe it is because they are thinking of their future that they are selling up and retiring to the water. My hubby and I are semi retired and have put a lot of thought into our boat and are thoroughly looking forward to our life on the water.

Maybe it is because they are thinking of their future that they are selling up and retiring to the water. My hubby and I are semi retired and have put a lot of thought into our boat and are thoroughly looking forward to our life on the water.

semi ditto! Wife retires end of April, then the life begins.

Martyn

• Greenie 1

People who live in houses as they get older and infirm end up living downstairs losing the use of their upstairs some get stairlifts but whatever they adapt because they are of a generation that has had to through their lives.

The younger generations will give up before those over 50ish

Boaters are meant to be a community so why not act like one,

Most boaters are willing to help others. When I have single handed I have had many an helpful person offer their labour .

Maybe the help is already out on the cut but newby armchair boaters are not aware of it .

Even the working boaters carried on into old age .

Do you try to be a prat or does it just come naturally?

Sad really to see repeated through this thread reference being made to old people choosing to live aboard when that is not the question which is simply old boaters, the posters who are castigating old people for living aboard cannot seem to comprehend it is just about older or less able boaters, not live aboards.

I'm out of this because I for one have my whole life offered an assisting hand in all parts of life not just boating to anyone who looks like they need a bit of help and shall remain so. I do not subscribe to the idea that everybody is on their own and could never pass by a stranger who needed a bit of help in anyway whatsoever.

Phil

• Greenie 1

Sad really to see repeated through this thread reference being made to old people choosing to live aboard when that is not the question which is simply old boaters, the posters who are castigating old people for living aboard cannot seem to comprehend it is just about older or less able boaters, not live aboards.

I'm out of this because I for one have my whole life offered an assisting hand in all parts of life not just boating to anyone who looks like they need a bit of help and shall remain so. I do not subscribe to the idea that everybody is on their own and could never pass by a stranger who needed a bit of help in anyway whatsoever.

Phil

Yes,I will see you on the scrap heap Phil,

We can help each other Stumble to the top and get a good view of the canal, But sorry matey, I ain't being castigated at my time of life.!.

I will let you rest on my Zimmer if you need to.

If I ran a hotel and most of my customers where elderly, then it would be up to me to take that into consideration. Or I could just tell them to bugger off. But I know what the best business strategy would be.

Edited by kris88