Excessive Smoke from Chimney

MustyBoat

Featured Posts

Hi,

I have a problem with my chimney and wondered if anyone else had the same problem.

It's a wide-beam (well, 11ft) and we have a squirrel stove.

We burn mixed fuel - wood and coal - but I have noticed that particularly in the last few months there has been excessive smoke coming from the chimney output on the roof.

This is causing some problems in terms of neighbours etc, and it sometimes wafts through our vents/windows - but also is just a little worrying. Could there be something vital in our chimney that has disintegrated?

We notice this most when we have just lit the fire - as could be expected - but to be honest it doesn't really settle down. Just think white smoke.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Thanks so much as always :)

I don't think it's that - the wood we use is completely dry (to the point of being brittle) and the coal is kept in a bin outside, and rarely gets wet or damp. Also - we've always kept the coal outside (and we have it inside in a scuttle for a day or so before putting on the fire) and not had this problem say a year ago...

What coal are you using and how old is it? asking because ther has been a thread recently advising that a smokeless fuel has now been classed as not smokeless

Found the link to the post about this http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=62300

Edited by Pete & Helen

What coal are you using and how old is it?

A flippant person might reply "several million years", but of course I would not.

Certainly the use of a correct smokeless fuel such as Taybrite could be the solution.

• Greenie 2

Hi ya,

Is your chimney clean, clear & 'Drawing' properly ?. With nothing near it on the roof,or a newly arrived taller boat moored next to you.

Just try opening a cabin door whilst the fire is on and check your air intake on the stove is wide open.to see if there is any iimprovement.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Hi, sorry I forgot to answer - yes we try to clean the chimney with a long brush every month or so, and did it a couple of weeks ago. We also clear out all ash and start all over again so to speak.

We used to use a couple of fairy lights worth of wax to get the fire started, could it be that wax fumes have held to the sides of the chimney? We haven't used this method for a while now because of the fumes that came out when it happened.

The normal set up: light the fire and close the door, but leave the bottom open until it's roaring, then add some more coal and close the bottom, keeping the twisty thing (don't know technical term obviously!) open enough to let in air and keep the fire going, sometimes all night.

Nothing has changed on the roof, and we're moored alone.. very strange

Edited by MustyBoat

Haha, that's the one! Thanks. Yes, it's very weird. Causing neighbour problems (moored nearby but not beside) so I really want to sort it!

Could it be wax residue fumes along the chimney from when we used to use wax to light the fire I wonder?

Thanks bizzard - I will give this a go. However... it goes against advice I've got (from one person) that "you must always mix your fuel"... hm!

Anyway our carrier didn't have excel last time, that's why we're trying Pure Glow mixed with Home Fire. I'll try what you suggest and just have one type and see if this helps.

Hi Phil, our smoke is thick and white - and no longer does that thing where it goes clear after the initial lighting. It's always smoking now.

Hi Keeping Up - we don't have a back boiler, though we did used to have pipes going from the back of the fire to radiators, however we had this system removed.

Give it an Italian tune-up! Open all the spin-wheels wide, stoke up with fuel (homefire would be best 'cos Excel stinks and Pureglow is a right mix-up.) and let it go at full blast until nearly all the fuel is used up. You will want to be nearby keeping a good eye on it and making sure nothing near the stove gets too hot, and probably to have all the doors and windows open, but a good burn-up will clear out any sticky crap/ wax residues/general gunge from the stove and the flue. It also gets the door glass clean but that's not your problem at the moment.

N

Hi BEngo - thank you for that advice - I think this may be a good idea. I'll give this a go! Do you know how long this would normally take? I know it's very dependent on what type of fuel/stove etc but just a rough idea.

Another thing - I'm unhappy with excel because it creates a lava-like layer of hard rock at the bottom of the fire, so often I have to extract this from the grille when I notice it's blocked any air coming in. This would normally not phase me but I shoved my hand up the back of the fire to the flue the other day (it was cold don't worry!) and found lumps inside the flue, the same type that was formed by the Excel. Is excel killing my fire???!

PS: BEngo - can I just leave the bottom of the fire OPEN completely (leaving the door/window closed) to do this cleaning process or burning it all out, or would that be too hot?

Edited by MustyBoat

Personally, I don't think you are burning your fire hot enough. If you are closing the bottom "thingy" then you are restricting the air going through which will restrict the burning power. I have my bottom thingy (!) open all the time, only closing it down when I need to lower the temp i.e. when going to bed, or when it is too hot and need to reduce the fire, leaving it open enough to keep the fire going. By closing the air down, you will end up with a smoulder effect which will cause smoke.

edited to add, I too would not mix my coal. I stick with the one. Have tried Taybrite and Excel and Stoveglow(smelly and clinkerish). Now use Supertherm.

Edited by deckhand

Hi Deckhand - I don't close the damper too much - this is left to let air in and I promise you it's a very hot fire! When I say I don't leave the bottom open, I mean the mini-door that leads to the ash tray (that has the damper on it). This door I only open to initially get the fire going.

Odana - thank you for this - I will definitely have a look as I can see there is a small crack in the back plate so maybe this needs to be replaced.

b0atman and Paul C - we generally get our wood from a park nearby, which has a wood pile where they let you collect any they don't want. Recently it has been all dead wood (don't know what type though). Do you know what species would cause this smoke? I could avoid it in the future.