Which canal books do you use ?

jacko264

Featured Posts

Hi all we have always used Pearson and son [ Canal companion ] books, Are they still the best or is there any thing better on the market now

We will have to get a new book[ to us ]for the Leicester ring

thanks for any help

Graham

another post suggested that the East Midlands Pearson book is coming out later this month. Do a quick search or scroll back a couple of pages in the General Boating forum to find details.. Suffice to say, you need 2 Pearsons books for the whole Leicester ring, unlike the past when they did it in one book.

Imray's Inland Waterways of Great Britain.

I have every edition from 1939 but just the latest will do if you are not an obsessive book nerd.

More an encyclopaedia than guide book it has a wealth of information about each waterway.

I haven't yet found that I need anything other than a Nicholsons Guide.

I agree, and unlike Pearsons you get all of the Leicester ring in one book (Birmingham and the Heart of England - book 3). The only problem is it's out of print right now but a new edition is being issued later this month

Just ordered 2 Pearson books to cover the leicester ring

Thanks for any help

Graham

Well the New books came today and guess what i have ordered one of them wrong daft me

The One that is right is the South Midlands

The other one that's wrong is the Oxford & grand union never mind it will come in handy another year

The one i should have bought is the Birmingham & hart of England

Graham

I like the format of the Pearsons but my husband prefers nicholsons ...

So we have both!

I like that the Pearson one is very descriptive, my husband likes the maps in the Nicholson they are more ordnance survey like.

Exactly the same here.

During my career I used OS maps virtually every working day so using Nicholson's came as second nature to me, but Mrs T prefers Pearson's.

• Greenie 1

I have tested this out on a few friends and colleagues (I really need to get out more) and it seems Nicholsons is the preferred choice for the technically minded and Pearsons for the arty types, or at the risk of being a generalising sexists Nich's for the blokes and Persons for the ladiesbanned.gif

We use both. Back-to-back in a zipped A4 transparent wallet for waterproof-ness. Nicholsons for keeping an eye on the route and upcoming locks etc, Pearsons for history and quirky information.

Note to OP - as far as I'm aware (I only have an old edition by me) Pearsons Oxford & GU plus South Midlands will do fine for the Leicester Ring. "Birmingham & Heart of England" is a Nicholsons, no?

Note to OP - as far as I'm aware (I only have an old edition by me) Pearsons Oxford & GU plus South Midlands will do fine for the Leicester Ring. "Birmingham & Heart of England" is a Nicholsons, no?

I think it's the East Midlands and South Midlands Pearsons books the OP needs for the Leicester ring. You are correct that 'B'ham and the Heart of England' is a Nicholsons book

Edit: The 'East Midlands and the Leicester Ring', is the old 2009 edition, JJ is right - Oxford & GU plus South Midlands from the current editions. Isn't that what the OP said they had bought??

Edited by Kendal

I use both Nicholson's and also Pearson's. Use the Nicholson's for planning whilst the Pearson's whilst 'at the helm'. Also use Canal Planner but that's for more when in the office so look s like I am doing some work..... Shhhh ninja.gif

Use both here.

Pearsons give 'travel time per page' and lots of history which is good but Nicholsons is more precise.

A little confession here but be aware when switching between both. North on the page varies with Pearsons but always at the top on Nicholsons. I was switching between the two after coming down Braunston locks and didn't take the left back to Wigrams instead heading merrily towards Rugby. A mistake I will not be making again as it made for a very long last day during last years 2 week stint!! :/