Maiden Voyage

Bettie Boo

Featured Posts

Well a Really Big Thanks to both Ray T and Simon (Captain Fizz) for all their patience, laughs, instruction, points of etiquette & guidance in our first day of learning how to steer this big beast!cheers.gif

Out maiden voyage was brilliant, I was amazed how much a light wind blows this floating tennis court from one side of the canal to the other! Couldn't believe just how narrow the canal actually is, or looks from the back end when there's another boat approaching, still can't quite get my head around why the little cattle bridges are so skew-whiff in accordance to the canal, and how low the clearance is on bridges (especially the ones Simon tells me are actually quite high)

All in all it was a day I will always remember, especially my turn at the helm, on a straight bit of the cut and me using the entire width going from bank to bank boat.gif

Oh.....may also remember the bit when we got back to our mooring at the marina and Dave thought it would be a good idea to see if he could retrieve any of my silver plate from the bottom of the cut while tying up the bow line, he managed to do a great interpretation of Tom Daley as he was going in. He tells me the water is well over 6' deep, fairly cold and very dirty.....the phone and tobacco didn't survive any where near as gracefully as he did clapping.gif

• Greenie 1

One minute he was there........and there he was gone.

All in all an excellent day with the wind an additional challenge.

I was pleasantly suprised at how easy she was to handle but visibility is a little tricky through bridge holes.

You should have many a pleasant day scaring the bejesus out of other boaters!

, still can't quite get my head around why the little cattle bridges are so skew-whiff in accordance to the canal,

I'm pretty sure that it was a clause in the original 1790-ish contract; "Thou shalt not build bridges in a straight line with the canal, rather shalt though align them at bloody impossible angles on fearsomely tight bends; otherwise shall the wrath of the Great Engineer fall heavily upon thee".

or something like that. Each time I go up and down the Ashby I marvel at how all those pairs of 70' coal boats managed to thread their way through without hitting at least four bridges out of five. perhaps they did hit them but just didn't care.

Bettie B - - Is that a British or Russian Blue you have on board?

Hey G&F, I'm thinking it's a teasing question, but I don't get it? Sorry you'll have to explain - d aren't interrupt Dave as he's in the process of trying to figure out why the pump out isn't flushing smile.png

ETA - LMAO sorry mind hasn't kicked into gear yet this am. Hadn't realized all the photo bucket pics had been copied so thought your comment was in reference to the pic of Dave and Simon cruising into the sunset :)

Gabby is a pure mutt, just like her brother Zebby the tiger striped one. I think she has some blue in her lineage somewhere though, I've never experienced a cat with as soft fur :)

Edited by Bettie Boo