What are "whips"

Featured Posts

Hi just had a newsletter from the marina we are in and they reported "The Volunteer Group which worked with CRT had put in a large number of whips beside the towpath."

But despite google etc I can't find out what whips are (would be good if it was the political types but clearly not)

Please let me know if you can and is this an idiom specific to the Midlands? Or am I, as usual showing, how much lack of knowledge I have in public?

• Greenie 1

In the context of towpath and land restoration, it's a technical term for small trees and bushes, which have been grown from seed or cuttings to about a foot or two in height, but have no branches as yet. When you see them on site, they're normally enclosed in a spira wrap to prevent rabbit and other herbivore damage. After a year or few, once the tree is established enough to be unattractive to the local herbivores, the wrap is either removed or just decomposes.

Thanks John.

So, if I were to plant very young walnut trees, they would be called.....

But if I couldn't afford the young trees myself and asked my friends to contribute a bit each towards the cost, I'd be having a .....

Edited by Athy
  • Greenie 3

Thanks John.

So, if I were to plant very young walnut trees, they would be called.....

But if I couldn't afford the young trees myself and asked my friends to contribute a bit each towards the cost, I'd be having a .....

That is excellent work, well done that man

Richard

Coz when they get big, they snap off (technical term) and fall in the cut, blocking it.

MtB

Don't all trees get big and I have seen most species suffering wind snap at some time. If they were beside the cut any tree which blew over (let alone snapped) would block it surely?

So are we really saying it is the placing of the trees which is important rather than species.

Don't all trees get big and I have seen most species suffering wind snap at some time. If they were beside the cut any tree which blew over (let alone snapped) would block it surely?

So are we really saying it is the placing of the trees which is important rather than species.

No, willows are specifically extremely prone to this effect, hence their nickname 'crack willow'.

MtB

No, willows are specifically extremely prone to this effect, hence their nickname 'crack willow'.

MtB

Crack Willow is the correct English name for Salix fragilis not a nick name. As the Scientific name suggests they can be a bit fragile. However there are at least 6 other willows (in this country 300+ world wide) which don't crack as easily, not to mention things like Aspen and Poplar which are also members of the the family Saliceae (Willow Family).

Another problem with willows might be that they are very thirsty trees, and their roots will travel a long way looking for water. This may include going through the puddle lining the canal if there's a small leak.

Most tree roots travel great distances to water. Vine roots have been found in drainage opening on to the Thames half a mile from the nearest vine. So would all tree not be hydrotropic and make their way towards the water?

And they're pretty rubbish to burn as well

Plant some good old traditional Hawthorn or the like

I would disagree on both counts: Most of the wood I'm burning at home at the moment is willow - when dry it's as good as any other wood.

Hawthorn, on the other hand, is hellish to handle for firewood or simply pruning. The only thing it's good for is as a stockproof hedge, which doesn't apply here.

I would disagree on both counts: Most of the wood I'm burning at home at the moment is willow - when dry it's as good as any other wood.

Hawthorn, on the other hand, is hellish to handle for firewood or simply pruning. The only thing it's good for is as a stockproof hedge, which doesn't apply here.

It could do, if a farmer sometimes or often has stock in a field adjacent to the canal.