The last 10 years

Kendal

Featured Posts

It's been 10 years since we sold our last nb when we moved up north, but we will be back on the cut again next month having moved back down to the East Midlands with work. I would be interested to hear comments on any changes over the time we have been away and what we might find that's different (if anything).

I know the old BW is now called the CaRT (is that just a change in name only or does the Trust status make any real difference to us boaters?). One thing I have noticed is that my old BW watermate key still works, glad I never threw it away! I wonder when they last changed the lockssmile.png

Pump out toilets are even better than they were 10 years ago.

Stoppage notices are all wizzy and electronic

Hope you still enjoy. We are about to start enjoying boating (hopefully) after 6 years of helping others enjoy it.

More boats , of the moving and non moving variety. More marinas, more interest from 'Joe public' , more water and wood, this year !!. Less boat builders/fitters. Increase in gas price, pump out charges. There is now RCR. for the inept of us. Less boat shows/festivals. Just as before some friendly and not so friendly boaters. Just as many enjoyable watery miles into which to escape. So I hope you enjoy them this time around. Bunny

It is an interesting question and as has been said above you will be more qualified to answer when you get back onto the cut as you won't have have experience the slow change of time many of us have.

I think on the surface there is not much change. Technology plays its part now and in some areas at least it is busier but in all the important ways it is still great when you get out there and moor somewhere superb in the middle of nowhere.

Edited by churchward

Some interesting comments, the majority of which I could probably have anticipated if I'd thought about it. The technology bit (stoppage notices etc) means communication is quicker and easier, so I guess we are not as 'cut off on the cut' as we used to be. Sad to hear about the pubs (always an integral part of my boating day), but then that's how pubs have been going in general over the last few years, not just on the waterways.

More boats and marinas, hmmmm good and bad I guess, depending on your point of view. My wife and I used to regularly boat on the Ashby and sometimes didn't see another boat all day, it felt as if we had the whole canal to ourselves (until I lost concentration on my birthday one time [i won't tell you why] and the bow made contact with the very overgrown bank. A rather irate fisherman popped his head up and waved his fist shouting something about losing his catch. He saw a bit more than he bargained for as we passed by him on the counter!).

As a few have said, I will probably be in a better position to comment when I've had the chance to compare the changes between then and now. I will let you know.

Oh yes, and if you were that fisherman please accept my apologies. I hope it didn't spoil your breakfast!

Edited by Kendal

To add a general comment about costs. I am pleasantly surprised that licence, mooring costs and insurance have not increased very much at all. Diesel has gone up, but that's to be expected. How much is a pump out now, used to be around a tenner in our day?

Plenty of lock gate replacements in the North West/Four Counties/West Midlands region, whether it's more so than the previous 10 years I can't say but it does seem a lot. Possibly more sections of towpath manicured into a cycle-friendly way. Oh and lift bridges on the Llangollen are easier to work single-handed as mooring bollards have been erected on the operations side. Not sure whether the canals are much busier now than then, though as we don't go in the height of summer we don't get the full picture.

Difficult to say really.

I suppose as we've changed with them we're suffering from boiled frog syndrome

It'd be more interesting to find out your opinion after being away.

I had to google that - it's a new one on me!

I suspect it's an accurate analogy - it'd be great if the OP comes back to us with his observations.

it'd be great if the OP comes back to us with his observations.

I will do that in a couple of months or so when we've spent some time back on the water........................

Boiled frog? They've got to catch me first!

I will do that in a couple of months or so when we've spent some time back on the water........................

Boiled frog? They've got to catch me first!

I look forward to your observations :cheers:

Where are you planning to launch yourself back onto the system? I see mention of East Midlands in your OP - I'd avoid Pillings Lock Marina if I were you!

Where are you planning to launch yourself back onto the system?

Alvecote Marina. Selected for it's location really, 20 minutes drive from home and decently placed on the network. The last boat was moored at Egginton (near Willington) so we wanted to be closer to B'ham this time.

I understand the marina has a boozer on site, which is always good for a bit of banter, and they have a space ready with my name on it (a mooring, not at the bar) cheers.gif

Yes, they built a brand new pub, the Samuel Barlow, there a few years ago.

Could the poster who mentioned boiled frogs please explain - is it a French recipe?

Edited by Athy

Could the poster who mentioned boiled frogs please explain - is it a French recipe?

If you prefer to have them slightly pink in the middle drop them in boiling water. The problem is catching the little sods when they leap out

For a much more even cooking process, bring them to the boil gently

;)

One thing I have noticed is that my old BW watermate key still works, glad I never threw it away! I wonder when they last changed the lockssmile.png

Whereas the 90s EA key that came with our boat no longer works!

Sold Mecca 2005 went to Australia 5 bed house 2 acres landrover the dream. Doubts crept in 2012 bought fenny . 2 summers on the boat 3 winters working in oz. House in oz sold. Now have town class in uk and camper in oz. ( please note crt oz residents) . Differences in 10 years.

Negative More messy boats, more residentials, .More generators running into the small hours, more off towpath messy residentials. More cars parked near bridges. Evidence of really desperate people on boats with probably little option, more people with not a clue, was asked so many times last year why we had an open hold, and that we had no draft because so much of the boat was out of the water...

Positive. The genuine friendly majority, people's helpfulness,less fishermen,helpfulness of crt staff..... Yes I know that's not considered normal but believe me they have changed since the 80s. The droitwich canal, the improved depth, the increase in piled sections, volunteers to subvert, getting a town class to stratford.... It's still great just different

• Greenie 1