rate your moorings

kingswood

Featured Posts

has any one on here got any views on there moorings good or bad ,are there vacancies,facilities friendly staff or other moorers nearbythat are pleasant and helpful .recommend spots etc ( or is it secret so cant find them lol ) nice comments please I am new on here

has any one on here got any views on there moorings good or bad ,are there vacancies,facilities friendly staff or other moorers nearbythat are pleasant and helpful .recommend spots etc ( or is it secret so cant find them lol ) nice comments please I am new on here

It can be most subjective, of course, -- - it would help folks answer your question if you'd first mention what type of moorings you're looking for/at, and what town/canal/river.

:) hiya kingswood firstly welcomes to the forum ..

Moi moored moi boat at Whilton marina for a couple of years, and found everyone so kind and helpful, and as moi was living in Wales at the time, Andy the marina manager would keep an eye on my boat and even look after the plants and herbs on moi boat. They have security cameras and good IMO parking facilities and showers and toilets. Whilst moi was moored there the fabulous chandelry was run by Richard, where the service was 100% and the products reasonable..plus Richard is such a woverly kind and helpful patient chap..bless having to put up with moi often dashing into his shop, in a puddle..saying 'Richard Help!! Moi has a problem, he never batted an eyelid at moi running around like a headless chicken covered in diesel..he would calmly help moi out with advice :) he is no longer there and based further up the 'cut'

Moi has now been rooted on a river farm mooring for nearly a year and it is in the most beautiful setting nestled in a kind of dip, surrounded by oddles of trees and is so tranquil, even though the nearest town is only 7 minutes by car and 5 mins by cycle ( moi is a bit of a cyclist and rides fast wahayyyyyy.head down on the handle bars and zoom..moi is off like a rocket lol) moi has a woverly mooring where parking is in sight of my boat, a farm shop selling oddles of products, its also on a coal and fuel boat run..shower facility and a wonderful,kind sweet farmer with excellent rates. ( mind you lol having the farmer shout ' tree you noisy #ugger!! When he passed by the shower today as moi was happily going through my repotoir of musical songs was funny yesterday :) its a really nice community.

I am now often away from my boat working for 2 weeks at a time, because moi is a self employed support worker, but moi knows my boat will be safe as the other boaters look after her for moi when moi is not here, checking the ropes, and even moving her to safer moorings for moi due to recent floods and high water. Moi has been asked to go over to New York for a couple of months later on in the year with my work, and was going to decline the offer because moi was worried about leaving moi boat for so long.The farmer and other moorers have told moi not to worry as they will all keep an eye on her for me..so go and enjoy and not worry :)

It all depends on where you would like to moor, what facilities you require as well as how much you are willing to pay. Good luck with your search . Both of these moorings have shoreline available with water points and elsan disposable points as well as recycling rubbish facilities

Edited as moi forgot an important IMO bit..at moi present mooring the farmer does not mind anyone doing works on their boats, which is a godsend as moi is having to completely re-fit out mine. Bear in mind that some places are not so helpful and could impose certain restrictions re: you may only use their marina engineers/work staff.

Good moorings are often as rare as hen' teeth, but my bestest advice is to walk along your preferred mooring area and talk to other Moorers there as it costs nowt to ask, as well as looking at the Cart moorings on their online site, as well as looking in Waterways World magazine ( you can peep for free Lol if you read in the main newsagent/stationary shops ;)..Towpath Talk and Tiller paper, as well as doing what you are doing on here :)

Edited by tree

We have moored at Burton Waters for over five years now. We only intended to stay for a year then move on but we have found the marina meets all if our needs and we have yet to scratch the surface of the cruising grounds it offers us.

Burton Waters is a very modern fully serviced marina catering for all kinds of boats from yachts, to large flybridge cruisers, narrowboats and wide bean Dutch barges. All berths have electric and water and gas and diesel are avaliable from the fuel berth as is pump out and elsan points.

The marina run a well stocked chandlery and there are workshops and well respected canopy maker on site. DIY facilities are avaliable in the yard. It is handy to just ring up and get the boat lifted whilst we are 50 miles away.

The site also has 24 hour security to both the marina and the housing side of the development which is another peace of mind.

We also have a range of shops, bars and restaurants on site.

Mooring fees are reasonable for the area, in fact they are one of the cheapest and the moorings are flood protected.

We have no plans to move moorings just yet.

Pricewise, how much per foot/metre?

Our marina is idylic in setting but apart from water, leccy and elsan it is devoid of all else, but we love it

Phil

£130 per metre per year if paid 12 monthly in advance with a min charge of 7.5m.

As others have said it really depends what you are looking for.

In four years as owners we have moored in a huge full service marina, a small marina and currently we are on a CRT long term mooring. It has secure gated access, lighting, a 'road' allowing us to get the car right up to the boat and water taps and that is about it.

Overall we prefer it, if it had leccy for the boat it would be just about perfect.

It is so idyllic we occasionally just spend time on the boat on the mooring and don't move the boat at all, it rivals some of the best visitor moorings in our area for peace and quiet and nice places to have a BBQ in the summer. It's also ideal for us as dog owners as we are straight off the boat onto grass rather than a wooden pontoon.

I was just chatting to one of my neighbours last night and agreeing just how good our marina is - and how we are looking forward to the warm weather and sitting out chatting as the sun goes down ..... and partaking of a little alcohol to lubricate the conversation

We are currently at Braunston, while we get the remainder of our furniture deliveries (washing machine arrived today!!! yeah!!) and find it very pleasant,

Great neighbors, pleasant & helpful staff, easy walking distance to the village which has a great butcher, well stocked convenience store and 3 pubs, as well as a church with a wonderful set of bells which seem to ring every Thursday evening and Sunday morning, The marina is full service with electric, water, waste, fuel and solid fuel. There are a fair amount of boaty shops on the site which have all come in very handy as well as a chandlers also within easy walking distance. No sense me quoting prices for you as we aren't planning on staying long and therefore are paying by the week, as well as the fact we have a full figure boat (WB) which will be in a different price bracket from a skinny boat.

All in all it's quiet, pleasant, great for pet owners and all the conveniences ones likes to have close by when setting up for the first time.

Welcome to the forum btw :)

Is he looking for a residential mooring or just a "boat park"?

We're in the latter category. We were on-line moored on the Ashby for about 2 years at Lime Kilns. Nice spot until they built the business park, and widened the A5 so the parking went and the road noise increased. We then moved to the South Oxford where we're moored on a bottom of the garden mooring.

Hi ya Kingswood,& Welcome.

I moor at Littlehampton Marina,,i have only moored at a handful of marinas and even then only for short terms,chooseing the CCing lifestyle instead

But I have to say it's rather nice with all the facilities you would expect.if I had to give it a mark out of 10,,,it would be 8,,,deducting a couple of point for the price paid.

We are currently at Braunston,

All in all it's quiet, pleasant, great for pet owners and all the conveniences ones likes to have close by when setting up for the first time.

Welcome to the forum btw smile.png

...and what a fabulous aura of history it has, lots to explore if you are interested in the historical side of canals. Finishing the day's explorations at the Nelson pub would be a good itinerary, assuming that you and Mr. Boo like pubs.

leeco, on 05 Mar 2014 - 1:04 PM, said:

we was moored at Woodlesford lock.

It was a very nice area and you had water but that's it.

That would be our other choice if we were not where we are, Whitley lock LTM's are nice too and they have an elsan a loo and water too. The only downside to Whitley though is the proximity of the M62 Bridge which rather dominates the LTM's but is far enough away from the VM's so as not to be much of an issue.

Been on my present mooring 20years, not the cheapest online offside mooring but definitely the best.

Every so often we look round to see if anything better exists, it doesn't.

Its on the GU south of Berko.

grade bad 1 good 10 therefore no bad comments but add totals of maybe 10 questions and maybe we will have a table that marina owners would try to be at top of ?far better than these so called blue riband awards that you get for being a member of an association.