So, are there any visitor moorings for actual visitors left on London?

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

Unless something has changed in the last year or so, I also didn't think those security guys actually do enforcement on behalf of CRT.

Yes, they do things like stopping you tying up to anything but provided rings and bollards, or stopping you breasting up, but I didn't think they had actually taken on the enforcement role.

Does anybody know the definitive answer on that, please?

Can't imagine why anyone would want to go to London full stop!!!!!!!!!

I'd rather stick pins in my eyes

but people do and there should be moorings for them when they get there and then they should move on to make room for the next arrivals but too many dont. E.g. CRT figures show that over 80% (probably over 90%) of boats using the Islington moorings in December were "London based" continuos cruisers.

see post 18

Unless something has changed in the last year or so, I also didn't think those security guys actually do enforcement on behalf of CRT.

Yes, they do things like stopping you tying up to anything but provided rings and bollards, or stopping you breasting up, but I didn't think they had actually taken on the enforcement role.

Does anybody know the definitive answer on that, please?

Just to add to my previous reply;

When we rolled up in 2012 (May well before the olympics) there was plenty of space and we were met within 20 minutes of arrival by said security with a notice stipulating 7 days maximum stay no return within 2 months

this year we were there a week, we moored by the no mooring sign for the first night and then got a space as someone moved we watched several boats arrive and leave disapointed no contact at all from security or crt.

I have been told that the reason for the pro activeness in 2012 was nothing to do with CRT but one of the developers was keen to keep the place tidy and in order, they are no longer interested, CRT confirm that the security guards just take sightings and liaise with CRT enforcement now.

One of the regulars told us that he has a child in school and cruises solely between Kensal and Paddington

I dont have any issue with people just cruising in London but some space should be kept for genuine visitors at the prime spots such as Paddington/Little Venice and there should be some 48 hour moorings for those in transit, perhaps at the pub moorings (The Constitution, Narrowboat, Palm Tree, Princess of Wales)

Oh and just remembered the handy 4 hour mooring at Camden has disapeared, sign got taken down when there were building works and CRT refuse to replace it.

Edited by Phoenix_V

Unfortunately in London there are quite a few boaters who just don't care about anyone else but themselves and who can be quite rude. I joined the Facebook London boaters group and having asked an innocent question about the overstayers I got a torrent of abuse about how I should mind my own f-ing business and other threats to the same tune.

It's reminded me how pleasant boaters in the rest of the uk can be and how little I like visiting London on our boat.

The difference is probably that some of the people CC'ing in London are not 'boaters', they're just people who see it as a cheap way of living in London

The last time I was in Paddington Basin all the visitors spaces were taken by the long-term freeloaders so I moored on a 'No Mooring' space. As expected, the security guards were onto me very quickly. Interestingly, they acknowledged that I was a genuine boater, doing boating ie: moving, travelling, going places - so they were happy to turn a blind eye to my infringement. As long as I was genuinely on my travels within a few days they were ok. They were just "tired of dealing with there dirty scruffy boats who stay for months and make a mess"

And on the subject of the London Boaters Group on Facebook; I stuck it out for a couple of months before quitting it, not for any particular reason, I just tired of the miserable, negative angry personas that populate it. They are in words as miserable as their scruffy boats and disrespect-able habits suggest!

Funnily enough, I see 'true boater' characteristics in both regulars here who CC the whole system, and in the people who hop around London moorings 'CMing'. The London Boaters Facebook group is a good example - many members there are very ready to do others a favour, they watch each other's backs, they rescue loose boats, they arrange social events, they do DIY for one another, they share out unwanted bits of kit, they lend one another equipment and they exchange knowledge. All of these things are positive 'true boater' characteristics.

I share the frustration at the lack of moorings in London (all those MILES of unusable mooring space!!), and disapprove of people flagrantly disregarding rules to the inconvenience of others, but many people who live on boats in London display all sorts of 'true boater' behaviour, even if they don't choose to live in the same way as boaters who travel more.

The last time I was in Paddington Basin all the visitors spaces were taken by the long-term freeloaders so I moored on a 'No Mooring' space. As expected, the security guards were onto me very quickly. Interestingly, they acknowledged that I was a genuine boater, doing boating ie: moving, travelling, going places - so they were happy to turn a blind eye to my infringement. As long as I was genuinely on my travels within a few days they were ok. They were just "tired of dealing with there dirty scruffy boats who stay for months and make a mess"

just curious when was that?

Funnily enough, I see 'true boater' characteristics in both regulars here who CC the whole system, and in the people who hop around London moorings 'CMing'. The London Boaters Facebook group is a good example - many members there are very ready to do others a favour, they watch each other's backs, they rescue loose boats, they arrange social events, they do DIY for one another, they share out unwanted bits of kit, they lend one another equipment and they exchange knowledge. All of these things are positive 'true boater' characteristics.

I share the frustration at the lack of moorings in London (all those MILES of unusable mooring space!!), and disapprove of people flagrantly disregarding rules to the inconvenience of others, but many people who live on boats in London display all sorts of 'true boater' behaviour, even if they don't choose to live in the same way as boaters who travel more.

i must say from when I look at London Boaters on facebook (not a regular reader) they certainly do all seem to help each other and like any other Forum they do have the odd argument but with over 1,000 members that is bound to happen.

Interesting. I loved our trip to London by boat in 2007 and long to repeat it when we have less family commitments. Even then we didn't find mooring easy but at least knew we could stay for a week in Paddington which was then heavily enforced. I had realised things have got much more difficult since then but am disappointed to read that even Paddington is no longer strictly enforced.. I feel huge sympathy for London boaters/moorers, rents and prices are just ridiculous. I can't think of a solution but believe Crt have tried to work with boaters. It does seem a shame if visitors find it so difficult to moor in the city. For us the contrast of mooring in a city centre then a tranquil rural spot is part of the strong appeal.

I am going down to the Thames this year and had intended to travel through London but it would likely be in July/August, which presumably is the busiest? What chance of mooring then?

I am going down to the Thames this year and had intended to travel through London but it would likely be in July/August, which presumably is the busiest? What chance of mooring then?

The freeloading spongers are there year round. I find no difference in the mooring situation from summer to winter.

If you are genuinely 'on your travels' and prepared to be a bit assertive/creative you will always find a mooring.

The freeloading spongers are there year round. I find no difference in the mooring situation from summer to winter.

When I was in that area the boats all seemed to be licences I do not think licence evasion is any worse in London than anywhere else in the country

When I was in that area the boats all seemed to be licences I do not think licence evasion is any worse in London than anywhere else in the country

Mooring for weeks and months on visitors spaces is not included in the license fee. Nor is shuffling one mile back and one mile forward every month or two.

Not wishing to stir an emotive argument, but unless things have changed dramatically in the last year, (I can't find the very latest numbers), actually the licence evasion rates for the London region are higher than anywhere else in the country.

Last figures I can find show London at 6.6% compared to a national average of 4%.

Next after London was K&A at 5.5%.

Lowest by a huge margin was South East Waterways at 1.8%.

Surprising, but those were the published CRT numbers.

That said the vast majority of over-stayers in London, whether based in London, or visiting from outside, are clearly likely to be fully licensed, so I'm not sure licence evasion is particularly relevant to debates about the moorings not being available when people want to use them.

We are on a winter mooring in paddington at the moment so yes I can confirm that most of the pontoons are winter moorings.

Your right that London is now a nightmare to moor in. Fortunately we are on a short boat so have never had a problem mooring anywhere on the canals but to bring a seventy foot boat to London is risky.

Your half right that security do go round and keep a note of who is where and send details to CRT if they overstay. But CRT don't do a good job at enforcing it.

I got the train to London a month before we bought the permit and there were a load of boats opposite the station. When we came in November they were still there. CRT eventually got rid of them in January. I spoke to security in the midst of their overstaying and they said they had reported it and it was up to CRT. I then phoned CRT who passed me to the enforcement officer for the area who didn't seem too bothered that I was paying a lot of money for a winter mooring whilst another boat less than fifty m away in a better spot than me is getting it for free

Unfortunately in London there are quite a few boaters who just don't care about anyone else but themselves and who can be quite rude. I joined the Facebook London boaters group and having asked an innocent question about the overstayers I got a Itorrent of abuse about how I should mind my own f-ing business and other threats to the same tune.

It's reminded me how pleasant boaters in the rest of the uk can be and how little I like visiting London on our boat.

Out of interest. How much does a winter permit cost? Was it difficult to get? What happens when you move for water etc, are you likely to lose your slot?

I haven't boated through London for about 20 years….however taking the train in from my mums in Essex means you go over the canal near Bow…..when I was first interested in boats and indeed when I last boated along this stretch there wasn't any moored boats…and if you valued your life you wouldn't have thought of stopping…..however last week when I went over on the train boats were breasted up all along that stretch including wide beams….whilst I guess it means its ok to stop now (safety in numbers!!??) I guess trying to find a mooring if you are passing through is not easy which certainly makes me think twice before going back down.

Cheers

Gareth

A few years ago I had a nice mooring for week in Paddington basin right next to the BW office boat. It wasn't easy to find moorings then, that was the only mooring available and I had to tie my stern to the bottom of the bridge walkway railings, but it wasn't as difficult to find moorings as some posters are describing now. Has the situation changed that much in the last few years?

P1000322.jpg

Edited by blackrose

Given the collapse of the RMP (roving mooring permit scheme) hopefully CRT will now look at providing visitor moorings in central London for genuine visitors.

Silly me, I thought that is what they had already done!

George ex nb Alton retired