I'm I the only one that got hit by a sour welcome?

Emilia

Featured Posts

Quote "

Thread Statistics:
Site: canalworld.net - latest threads Forum: General Boating - Canal World Discussion Forums Total authors: 13 authors Total thread posts: 18 posts Analysis: The sentiment of the discussion, that spans over 2 days, is negative. The discussion is very engaging and very controversial. The user Higgs, was very engaged. It got people interested in the discussion. We find the discussion interesting and original. Awards: The following users won the first, second and third place as most active and engaging users:
trophy_gold.png 1st Place: Higgs trophy_silver.png 2nd Place: PaulG trophy_bronze.png 3rd Place: David Schweizer

So am I now officially Actively Engaging ? laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

No. Star has explained what omgili means and Gili M is hardly an unlikely boat name

[i'm struggling to stay on-line and keep up, because Mr Virgin seems increasingly to want to take large amounts of my cash, but not actually give me the service I am paying for - even if this will post, I may well disappear from view soon after]

As I have said, I do now wonder if "Omgili" is picking up on things that look as if they themselves might be referring in some way to "Omgili".

If I have not very made it adequately clear, I think my short-lived supposition that this thread was possibly started so it could be actively dissected elsewhere is incorrect, and I apologise for a likely wrong assumption about what was going on, (the crap connection stopping me from really having a proper dig around ).

However, having said all that, and if we give Emilia the benefit of the doubt as someone who had one set of expectations about life afloat, and they have actually not been realised, it is quite hard to have a meaningful conversation if other members try and ask how, where, or why it is happening, but get no answers. It must be surely possible to provide a bit more detail, without actually divulging a lot of personal information that she might prefer not to?

I'm actually interested to see more debate on the point apparently raised, because it is so alien to my own personal experience of life on the waterways, and I'm genuinely interested to understand how others see things a so much worse. (I'm someone regularly viewed by those who know me well as the ultimate pessimist!).

Quote "

Thread Statistics:

Site:

canalworld.net - latest threads

Forum:

General Boating - Canal World Discussion Forums

Total authors:

13 authors

Total thread posts:

18 posts

Analysis:

The sentiment of the discussion, that spans over 2 days, is negative. The discussion is very engaging and very controversial. The user Higgs, was very engaged. It got people interested in the discussion. We find the discussion interesting and original.

Awards:

The following users won the first, second and third place as most active and engaging users:

trophy_gold.png

1st Place:

Higgs

trophy_silver.png

2nd Place:

PaulG

trophy_bronze.png

3rd Place:

David Schweizer

So am I now officially Actively Engaging ? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I see they haven't made any awards on this thread yet. If it's based on the number of posts from a user then can I win by posting loads of crap here....I know...I know! :(

The Forumites told me to reject the evidence of my eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. My heart sank as I thought of the enormous power arrayed against me, the ease with which any Forum intellectual would overthrow me in debate, the subtle arguments which I would not be able to understand, much less answer. And yet I was in the right!

They were wrong and I was right.

Variation on 1984

The Forumites told me to reject the evidence of my eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. My heart sank as I thought of the enormous power arrayed against me, the ease with which any Forum intellectual would overthrow me in debate, the subtle arguments which I would not be able to understand, much less answer. And yet I was in the right!

They were wrong and I was right.

Variation on 1984

Maybe I should have watched Eastenders instead....

I agree with Alan_fincher on this one. If there is a concentration of obnoxious boaters WHERE are they?

And how does a machine decide if a thread has a positive neutral or negative theme,??

Cloging up the canals with their "wall to wall" mooring idf you listen to some people!

However, having said all that, and if we give Emilia the benefit of the doubt as someone who had one set of expectations about life afloat, and they have actually not been realised, it is quite hard to have a meaningful conversation if other members try and ask how, where, or why it is happening, but get no answers. It must be surely possible to provide a bit more detail, without actually divulging a lot of personal information that she might prefer not to?

It probably is [possible] but the amount of crap and false accusation on the thread would have deterred her to an extent.

I'm actually interested to see more debate on the point apparently raised, because it is so alien to my own personal experience of life on the waterways, and I'm genuinely interested to understand how others see things a so much worse. (I'm someone regularly viewed by those who know me well as the ultimate pessimist!).

Me too, but I think that opportunity, at least this occasion by this original poster, has now gone. Whether that's a good or bad thing, or not important enough to worry about, I don't know. I've suggested a solution to this kind of issue before but its a bit mean-spirited to implement it.

(My comments in red, so I can reply to each paragraph in turn).

I agree with Alan_fincher on this one. If there is a concentration of obnoxious boaters WHERE are they?

And how does a machine decide if a thread has a positive neutral or negative theme,??

Probably just word analysis - if you had a thread where everyone was negative but sarcastic it would probably mark it as positive.

dumb computers

[i'm struggling to stay on-line and keep up, because Mr Virgin seems increasingly to want to take large amounts of my cash, but not actually give me the service I am paying for - even if this will post, I may well disappear from view soon after]

As I have said, I do now wonder if "Omgili" is picking up on things that look as if they themselves might be referring in some way to "Omgili".

If I have not very made it adequately clear, I think my short-lived supposition that this thread was possibly started so it could be actively dissected elsewhere is incorrect, and I apologise for a likely wrong assumption about what was going on, (the crap connection stopping me from really having a proper dig around ).

yes, i agree it's difficult to discuss the situation without further info from the OP.

Maybe she's very timid and had been working up the courage to make her post and was a bit put off by the 1st response being a tw***sh correction of her terminology. This could explain the brevity of further posts

It is a good subject for discussion though.

When i first read the opening post, I like many others, wondered how her experience could be so different from mine and wondered if she was doing something to bring on the negativity or only noticing the negativity or simply just expecting a sour reception so only seeing one.

I've just re-read the OP again and had a think and perhaps we've all got the wrong end of the stick - Maybe she's talking about the newness of boating worn off livaboard 'small community' thing rather than the 'going boating' thing. I've gotten to know a fair few 'locals' on my patch and it isn't all always 'welcome fellow boater' aint we all happy - i've heard plenty of moaning & bitching about other boaters from locals. I've also heard many tales of boaters doing other boaters bad.

I've also had a marina mooring and again there's an awful lot of moaning and bitching goes on there as well - people with nowt else to occupy them mostly.

I mostly just ignore it and don't talk to the moaners and bitchers - hey, maybe I seem unfriendly to them

she talks about ccing, so not local boaters. she talks about five years, so not newbies. she has a picture of wide open water as her avatar.

she has not engaged in the debate that she started.

stop looking for excuses.

'local' including those who cc enough to satisfy CaRT but appear in the same patch as you enough to get to know them over 5 years.

There's plenty of them round my way

excuses for what? I don't care if she's for real or not

'local' including those who cc enough to satisfy CaRT but appear in the same patch as you enough to get to know them over 5 years.

There's plenty of them round my way

excuses for what? I don't care if she's for real or not

really? then why are you here? ahh, you introduced the 'cc issue', which indicates a much bigger issue. you dont like cc'rs do you?