Atmosphere Pressure Readings

Hawkmoth

Featured Posts

Our barometer seems to have bottomed out. The needle has reached 970 and that's the end of its downward travel.

Anyone got less than that on their instrument.

BTW we're in Leeds, and its a rough night. Just glad we aren't in the south. Those poor folk are really badly off.

Bob

Leeds airport is giving 965mB equivalent sea-level pressure, if you are above sea level (hopefully!) the pressure will be less. Newcastle is giving 960.

Edinburgh and Glasgow are giving 957 but we are tough up here so barely notice it!

Edited by nicknorman

Leeds airport is giving 965mB equivalent sea-level pressure, if you are above sea level (hopefully!) the pressure will be less. Newcastle is giving 960.

Edinburgh and Glasgow are giving 957 but we are tough up here so barely notice it!

If the pressure is lower - doesn't one's head swell?

(and the rest of one, too, of course!)

;)

Our barometer seems to have bottomed out. The needle has reached 970 and that's the end of its downward travel.

Anyone got less than that on their instrument.

BTW we're in Leeds, and its a rough night. Just glad we aren't in the south. Those poor folk are really badly off.

Bob

Have you calibrated it correctly?

http://www.wikihow.com/Set-a-Barometer

There is a small screw on the rear. You need to turn it CW or ACW to set it

Find your region here: http://www.eldoradocountyweather.com/forecast/UK-Ireland-Currents/uk-current-barometric-pressure.html

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.

Pressure for today below:

uk_pressure_i1_points_metric.png

Edited by Androo

Just in case you are scared over there:

here in Co. Clare in Ireland I experienced to worst storm of my live. And I had plenty of them. Unfortunately I had not much time to worry as I had to help a friend securing his roof. So be aware of more shit weather.

Have you calibrated it correctly?

Yes, a while ago now though.

The problem is that when you cruise, going up and down locks makes it a bit inaccurate.

Could do with an altimeter, then you just set your height above MSL and read off the pressure.

Bob

Yes, a while ago now though.

The problem is that when you cruise, going up and down locks makes it a bit inaccurate.

Could do with an altimeter, then you just set your height above MSL and read off the pressure.

Bob

Trouble is, you've got an altimeter - you're trying to predict the weather with it!

Richard

Trouble is, you've got an altimeter - you're trying to predict the weather with it!

Richard

No, he's right if he knows the elevation of the bit of canal he is on. Adjusting the millibar subscale so that the altimeter reads the elevation results in the sea-level pressure appearing on the subscale*. He probably doesn't need the bits on a barometer that say "stormy", "fine" etc.

*discounting errors due to non-standard atmospheric density profile due to non-standard temperature.

Using my address, the first one seems about right at 124'. The second one is rubbish at 2 feet - if it was thus there would be water lapping at the door!

What height am I flying at?

MtB

Depends on which substances you have been partaking of.

My mercury barometer reads 986mbar tonight.

What height am I flying at?

MtB

<8' above MSL! Even if your barometer is calibrated you are flying too low to rely on it, better too eyball the situation.

As you were so careless as to not define your altimeter setting as QNF or QNH you have certainly already destroyed an aircraft, and you and many of your passengers are dead!

In the Somerset levels (1088mb) this evening you could be landing a seaplane. I would really like to have a seaplane rating on my licence - some P2 hours would help.

Alan