Atmosphere Pressure Readings

Hawkmoth

Featured Posts

... I am not flying at all (unless sitting here counts as flying a desk :) ).

MtB

Well boohoo for you, I am flying tonight - yippee! (down to the boat that is, not in the local Chinese Takeaway).

Slightly worried because Telemachus wasn't answering my texts today, nor answering the phone when I rang him. First time it hasn't responded in nearly 3 years, thought maybe something up but marina lady says the shore power is in and on, and the gsm aerial is still there so it must be a "glitch" - damned Chinese electronics! Maybe designer went on to design the Jade Rabbit?

No heating on by remote control for me then, just arriving at a cold boat at 11pm.

For the interested only, if you want to read your barometer properly, it needs to be corrected to sea level, then you see the same on your barometer as you would on the pressure charts.

Halfway up a mountain, the pressure would be much less, as a consequence of its altitude. But you would still make your needle read the 'sea level' equivalent for your location. Your needle should then stay the same as the weatherman is on about.

For domestic weather forecasting, it doesn't really matter what reading it's showing momentarily. It's the rate of change, and in which direction, that counts.

Tarra

Edited to add: to get it corrected, just phone your local met office and the'll tell you what it should be reading.

Edited by Loafer