CRT rules/ laws, penalty for transgression?

Ricco1

Featured Posts

We hired a boat a few years ago and the heater was like Concorde taking off. But on our boat (and a couple of neighbours boats in the marina) the heater is properly silenced and you can barely hear it when standing next to the exhaust.

A bit like a lot of boat engines then.

I once hired a boat on the Broads and, because it was late and I was tired and hungry, I moored at Cantley alongside the Sugar Beet plant.

Before too long another boat moored up behind mine, switched the heating on and immediately drowned out the factory noise.

A bit like a lot of boat engines then.

Yes and no. Yes in that the noise is variable, but no, even though we have a very quiet engine with a hospital silencer, under boards in the "engine room" and routinely sneak up on fishermen without them hearing us coming, it is still more intrusive than the heater. Probably something to do with the mass flying around in the engine causing low frequency noise and vibration. What noise there is from the heater is "white" and the higher frequency components are easily attenuated, leaving the residual low frequencies which are extremely low in magnitude.

I hope you're not presenting your opinion as fact ;)

Personally I would much rather listen to the slow beat of a boat engine at tickover than the steady whine of a diesel heater, silenced or not.

You are forgetting that I am of course always right!

I agree with your second sentence, but it is not relevant when the heater is inaudible but the engine isn't.

I hope all you anti-social bastards are disconnecting your solar panels after 8:00pm, generating all that electricity in defiance of the bylaws

Richard

I think you're spell check failed, it's Bar Stewards,or surly any other profession with solar panels for that matter. Honest mistake I think.

I hope all you anti-social bastards are disconnecting your solar panels after 8:00pm, generating all that electricity in defiance of the bylaws

Richard

Currently in full compliance of bye laws as at 8pm they produce nothing as it's dark. Give it a few months

You've missed my point. It was: that speed limits are displayed on many roads because unless they are there, we can travel at 60 mph (70 on motorways and duel carriageways). But of course, the traffic management people don't want us to travel at these speeds. So they effectively create bylaws to limit speeds on individual roads/ parts of roads. We can't be expected to know this so they display speed limit signs. Apart from built up areas, where you are expected to know that the speed limit is 30, the police could not secure a conviction for speeding where the limit is below the national speed limit, unless this speed restriction is clearly displayed.

I don't think this is accurate , having done a speed awareness course , it was made clear that identifying the type of road you are on is the responsibilty of the driver , so if you are in a built up area you are required to know the speed limit , posted or not .

The big issue with the rules are enforcement , there are currently several boats in Bath they are breaking VM and Winter mooring rules , by a very long way , including a hire boat not on hire . Has crt done anything about it ? Absolutely nothing !

Currently in full compliance of bye laws as at 8pm they produce nothing as it's dark. Give it a few months

Waking me up in the morning with all them electrons whizzing about

Richard

The big issue with the rules are enforcement , there are currently several boats in Bath they are breaking VM and Winter mooring rules , by a very long way , including a hire boat not on hire . Has crt done anything about it ? Absolutely nothing !

Enforcement is indeed the problem, the Trust has only two options - encourage you to comply or go to court. There are no intermediate, proportionate actions they can take within the bylaws

Richard

I never run my solar panels at night, not even for hot water, ...unless it's really moony.

Doesn't say at night, does it - 8:00pm to 8:00am. Bet you generate loads of noisy 'lectric on a lovely sunny morning in summer

Richard

MORE: I'm not being serious, beyond illustrating how the wording of a bylaw can be interpreted. Solar panels are surely electricity generators, and therefore fall within the restrictions

Doesn't say at night, does it - 8:00pm to 8:00am. Bet you generate loads of noisy 'lectric on a lovely sunny morning in summer

Richard

MORE: I'm not being serious, beyond illustrating how the wording of a bylaw can be interpreted. Solar panels are surely electricity generators, and therefore fall within the restrictions

Never mind solar panels, those pesky turbines make a racket on a windy night.

George ex nb Alton retired

Many years ago as 'young hooligans' a group of us would push an old moped thru the village, & down the road (footpath) to get to the woods and play about off-roading

Stopped several times by the Police who insisted that it was a motor vehicle and should be licensed, insured and taxed, and that we were underage to be in charge of a motor vehicle.

Eventually came to a compromise that if we removed the fuel tank, the spark pug and the chain (which we all took turns in carrying to 'the woods' we could push it 'down the road'.

O' the days of a village bobby with a bit of give and take.

In the December floods the police refused to let a car showroom move their cars up the road to higher ground because they were not taxed and insured.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/mobile/news/car_showroom_boss_urges_police_to_learn_lessons_after_they_failed_to_help_in_tidal_surge_1_3260702

No trouble for me, I just found the (admittedly hypothetical) double standard amusing. And ironic, in that non-boater cyclists pay nothing to use the towpaths. Personally I push a motorbike along the towpath. It's a vehicle when I ride it but I'd argue it's no different to a bicycle being pushed (apart from being heavier) when the engine is switched off. No problems so far but perhaps will be tested in the future, we will see.

The nice thing about rules is there are so many ambiguities to argue about. If you have a motorcycle have a look at the tax disk (while you can as tax disks are about to disappear) you will find that a motorcycle is taxed as a bicycle. Its the same with a SORN vehicle - soon you will not be required to update on a year by year basis. So as you power along the towpath on your 500cc bicycle and you get taken to task, you will be able to point out its a bicycle which are entitled to ride on the towpath.

Edited by Mick and Maggie

I recall a knowledgable source saying that the 8 til 8 noise thing was a law of the land, or similar, not just CRT's whim. Summat to do with 'enjoyment of land'. As opposed to sea. There are no such rules offshore.

I'd google it, but her indoors is about to refuel me.

In the December floods the police refused to let a car showroom move their cars up the road to higher ground because they were not taxed and insured.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/mobile/news/car_showroom_boss_urges_police_to_learn_lessons_after_they_failed_to_help_in_tidal_surge_1_3260702

Rather an unusual dealership that didn't have trade plates and insurance. Good job I don't want to buy a car off them. How would I get a test drive?

Is that a fish I smell?

Rather an unusual dealership that didn't have trade plates and insurance. Good job I don't want to buy a car off them. How would I get a test drive?

Is that a fish I smell?

I'm fairly sure they would have trade plates but they can't be in all the cars at once!

You've missed my point. It was: that speed limits are displayed on many roads because unless they are there, we can travel at 60 mph (70 on motorways and duel carriageways). But of course, the traffic management people don't want us to travel at these speeds. So they effectively create bylaws to limit speeds on individual roads/ parts of roads. We can't be expected to know this so they display speed limit signs. Apart from built up areas, where you are expected to know that the speed limit is 30, the police could not secure a conviction for speeding where the limit is below the national speed limit, unless this speed restriction is clearly displayed.

On my very recent "speed awareness course", taken at £90 because it was cheaper than a fine and points on my licence, we were told that the 30 mph limit applies anywhere where there are regularly spaced street lamps, UNLESS signs say otherwise. So a dual carriageway with regularly spaced street lamps is 30 mph unless signs say 40/50/60 whatever.

Not a lot of people know that.

On my very recent "speed awareness course", taken at £90 because it was cheaper than a fine and points on my licence, we were told that the 30 mph limit applies anywhere where there are regularly spaced street lamps, UNLESS signs say otherwise. So a dual carriageway with regularly spaced street lamps is 30 mph unless signs say 40/50/60 whatever.

Not a lot of people know that.

Well I certainly did. Apart from street lights, the Highway Code says:

"Unless you see signs showing otherwise, a limit of 30 miles per hour (mph) or 48 kilometres per hour (km/h) usually applies."

Although I have to say that when I drive the 90 miles cross country (though on A roads) from Aberdeen to the gliding club near Aviemore, I pass virtually no speed limit signs once I have left the environs of Aberdeen. But the speed limit is still definitely 60 (or 150 on the Hayabusa).

Neither can drivers unless they had an army.

No, but they would have to return back to the showroom with the car to take the next one up the hill. The other sales place did better, they were able to take their cars to the multi story carpark one or two at a time

The nice thing about rules is there are so many ambiguities to argue about. If you have a motorcycle have a look at the tax disk (while you can as tax disks are about to disappear) you will find that a motorcycle is taxed as a bicycle. Its the same with a SORN vehicle - soon you will not be required to update on a year by year basis. So as you power along the towpath on your 500cc bicycle and you get taken to task, you will be able to point out its a bicycle which are entitled to ride on the towpath.

Yes I'd noticed that. Unfortunately I doubt very much that it could be used as a defence. It's always interesting to discuss the technicalities of the law but in the case of pushing my bike along the towpath: I think it's common sense that it's OK. It poses no danger to anyone else and is not anti-social.

Of course, there is always the possibility of someone severely anally retentive, whose life is so empty and sad that they have nothing better to do than try to pull up other people enjoying their harmless activities, their master being the letter of the law. Discussing these possible anomalies is interesting but to try to deny others doing harmless things is very sad. One such zombie pointed out that I shouldn't fish where I was because there was a sign saving "overhead electricity cables- no fishing beyond this point" Unfortunately the sign didn't give a direction, said cable was in the distance on the other side of the sign. Sill, she insisted I must stop fishing. I politely asked her to go away, feeling free to call the real police if she so wished.

No, but they would have to return back to the showroom with the car to take the next one up the hill. The other sales place did better, they were able to take their cars to the multi story carpark one or two at a time

Interesting! One showroom managed to save its cars by moving them one or two at a time but another one lost its entire stock.

There's more than fish that smells in Lowestoft!