Waste oil

b0atman

Featured Posts

Is it true that even the BEST batteries won't stand up to liveaboard off-line charging abuse?

I don't know, but I have a set of Rolls batteries still going well after eight years of hammering on a daily basis. Last year we blacked the boat and were on a land line for a couple of weeks and the batteries performed like new after that for a couple of weeks before getting back to normal. Solar, well at least my solar, did not do as good a job of invigorating the batteries when we left the boat for three weeks in the sun the year before. So I guess the answer for me is that you can't do a really good job of charging without a land line and multi stage charger.

Some batteries are undoubtedly better than others, but they all die in the end.

Battery history is:

Elecsol 4 years

Varta 1 year

Varta replacement under warranty 1 year

Rolls 8 years and still going

The place where I bought my new batteries (in France) took the old ones as part exchange, and gave me a better price per kilo than de scrapman was prepared to pay. Don't batterry sellers in the UK do the same ?

Peter.

Yep. I fitted a friends yacht out with a new set down in Plymouth and they did just that. We were prepared to pay them to take the old ones, but instead they gave us money off!

As CCer I've never had a problem getting rid of old oil. I either buy it from a boatyard after checking that they will take the old oil and rioters or I look up the nearest HWRC. If its too far to walk I just keep hold of it until I find a closer one.

I was a bit wary of the one at Leamington Spa as it was laid out for motorists only and expected to get stopped but didn't. I would have just left the oil with the person who stopped me if they had.

We often pick up waste oil that others have (naughtily) left at waste points, it gets added to the waste oil that we collect from a garage owning friend and it provides all of our heating in an oil burning stove. In the summer it gets mixed with diesel and runs the engine too.

. In the summer it gets mixed with diesel and runs the engine too.

I hope you have good fuel filters especially if you are using waste oil what you don't know the history of and whats in the can.

How often do you have to change your fuel filters using that.

Yep. I fitted a friends yacht out with a new set down in Plymouth and they did just that. We were prepared to pay them to take the old ones, but instead they gave us money off!

Lol that reminds me of when I were a lad, I used to buy derelict cars out of front gardens. One day I knocked on a front door and said to the bloke "can I take away your old car, there?" The bloke said "how much?" Me, being prepared to pay £20 for it said "twenty quid?". Bloke says "No I can't afford that, how about a tenner?" (ohmy.png )... Thinking on my feet I said "split the difference at £15?" RESULT!!!!!!!!!!

biggrin.png

MtB

I hope you have good fuel filters especially if you are using waste oil what you don't know the history of and whats in the can.

We don't use our waste oil in the engine diesel tank as we have another option, if we did, I would just filter it first. We put any waste oil it in the dedicated diesel stove tanks, even cooking oil, I still run it through a filter though, usually a stocking foot. This is only being drip fed and burn't off in a stove, 5 litres at a time in to twin tanks @ 100L each isn't going to cause any problem. We occasionally do house clearances and any waste veg oil left in bottles I would pour into either tank. I think our main engine tank is over 500L

Even better, the one time owners of RN diesels developed a filtering system to use waste lube oil as the fuel for the engine- that's what I call proper re-cycling.

Bill

It's a great idea but I'd be too scared to put it in mine....must produce a lot of smoke even though it is filtered...

We often pick up waste oil that others have (naughtily) left at waste points, it gets added to the waste oil that we collect from a garage owning friend and it provides all of our heating in an oil burning stove. In the summer it gets mixed with diesel and runs the engine too.

You cannot run a Diesel engine on waste motor oil, the additives in the oil, not the dirt, leave behind an abrasive ash, which wears out the bore and rings faster than you can save any money on fuel cost. Proven by many experiments I'm afraid.

Some have ANPR on the camera that watches you enter the site, and check the address of the registered keeper to make sure that someone's not sneaking in from another council area.

Well, I'm not so sure about that, even though my ultra suspicious nature would draw me to the same conclusion.

Before we moved onto the boat, we lived in the Maidstone council area & we used to pick up work from Ashford, so the omnipotent one used to regularly visit the Ashford recycling centre to dump garden waste & other crap as she passed by on her way to the pick ups. They had ANPR cameras & we never got a single letter from them about it over quite a long period, even though the car was registered in the Maidstone area, so I think it probably has more to do with frequency of visits which could have more to do with detering trade waste than interlopers I'd guess. Interestingly, they've recently moved to an updated & larger facility next door to the old site & the ANPR cameras have gone - for now! wink.png

Edited by Spuds