ACC now have a chat forum on their site.

Ex- Member

Featured Posts

Some day, we will have a thread mentioning the ACC that doesn't leap into the past, have founder members having to defend their position (or yawning), doesn't discuss the constitution or voting rights

God, I hope that day is soon and we can start to see what the ACC is doing, not how it was formed

Richard

I couldn't agree more.

I couldn't agree more.

I agree that it's fruitless to keep looking back into the past but would you vote for a politician without looking into his/her history and motives?

A couple of 'founder members' accused me of being a troll when I first came onto this forum. This turned out to be down to mistaken identity in the end and to be honest was quite funny looking back. Having said that I never got an apology despite one of the posts being potentially threatening. The calibre of those representing others does matter.

BTW no hard feelings my end and I wish the ACC all the best.

I agree that it's fruitless to keep looking back into the past but would you vote for a politician without looking into his/her history and motives?

A couple of 'founder members' accused me of being a troll when I first came onto this forum. This turned out to be down to mistaken identity in the end and to be honest was quite funny looking back. Having said that I never got an apology despite one of the posts being potentially threatening. The calibre of those representing others does matter.

BTW no hard feelings my end and I wish the ACC all the best.

I don't quite follow that argument It is an Association not a political party the Council simply represents their members in my case I am proud to be a Founder but happy not to be on the Council but happy to help whenever I can.

I should say that I am happy not to be on council because I know how much work is involved and at present I simply can not guarantee that time

Greenie for Lone Wolf, love to Elvis.

Time to be getting together and planning this years fun. Some people have already had some and some need to play catch up.

Will it ever stop raining.

Now fun let me think!! I am in the process of organising a Social and Volunteering weekend at Walsall Basin / Town Arm in June should be a good weekend on part of the Canal System that is quite under used. Edited by cotswoldsman

Could be a possibility, fishing stuff out of the cut is surprisingly entertaining. You don't have to pay and there's more choice than those grab machines in amusement arcades, some of it is a bit dubious but CaRT will take it all away so you aren't left looking for another storage solution.

Just what i was thinking

I was also thinking that holding on to resentment is like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die

No resentment here and, like I said before, I didn't start it but am always happy to join in a discussion....It being a discussion forum and all.

The question was raised and I chose to contribute in a measured, polite manner.

If people don't want to discuss a subject then they should stop raising it in a discussion forum.

No resentment here and, like I said before, I didn't start it but am always happy to join in a discussion....It being a discussion forum and all.

The question was raised and I chose to contribute in a measured, polite manner.

If people don't want to discuss a subject then they should stop raising it in a discussion forum.

How to say this carefully

When reading and observing your posts on some subjects, you seem to have the measured and polite manner of a Jack Russell with it's jaws locked firmly into a leg. Yes, he's right to be doing it, yes it's natural. You are polite and carefully avoid insult. You are almost unerringly correct as to the facts. And yet, it seems as an observer that it would be better if you let go a little sooner knowing you are right (as can be clearly seen by other readers), or didn't bite in the first place.

Richard

• Greenie 1

You are polite and carefully avoid insult. You are almost unerringly correct as to the facts.....

I don't claim to be correct as to the facts as I am usually only expressing an opinion but, given the above, I feel the rest is a matter for other folks to judge but, as long as I am polite and carefully avoid insult, I am afraid I have no intention of changing my manner.

I discuss things on a discussion forum and, until the site owner puts a post limit on threads, if I have something to say I will say it.

As to this particular thread I did not raise the issue and had no intention of contributing to a thread that I had little or no interest in but changed my mind when somebody posted something that piqued my interest.

Despite the usual insults from Jenlyn I have responded to posts within the forum rules and have not proactively sought conflict or even initiated discussion.

Just because some people don't like what I write or the frequency that I post does not alter the fact that I remain within the rules of the forum and I am here for my entertainment, not theirs.

I will stop expressing my opinion when people stop inviting it.

I have heard from Jenlyn that the ACC are voting to have enforcement officers make sure that boat licenses are attached at all times to the permanently affixed bow fenders of wooden narrowboats

How many buttons did I press?

Richard

How many buttons did I press?

Richard

None.

If you'd like to start a thread about it I will happily discuss the matter as it sounds like an interesting topic but "pressing buttons" implies that I will be getting angry which has only happened once, on this forum, which was when one particularly obnoxious member made horrible personal comments that made my OH cry.

Other than that occasion I discuss matters in a calm manner and leave others to get their "buttons" pressed.

How to say this carefully

When reading and observing your posts on some subjects, you seem to have the measured and polite manner of a Jack Russell with it's jaws locked firmly into a leg. Yes, he's right to be doing it, yes it's natural. You are polite and carefully avoid insult. You are almost unerringly correct as to the facts. And yet, it seems as an observer that it would be better if you let go a little sooner knowing you are right (as can be clearly seen by other readers), or didn't bite in the first place.

Richard

But carl isn't discussing facts though, hes discussing 'feelings' and trying to present them as facts

for example he says

I think the bad feeling surrounding creation of the association was the apparent underhand way an exclusive association was formed whilst the founding members were giving the impression that an all inclusive association for all boaters was on the cards.

This was certainly what upset me.

So he uses 'apparent underhand' - when there was no underhandedness about it.

He got all enthused about a new boating organisation being formed for 'all boaters' and there was much discussion of this. Even in this discussion there was no consensus of what the new organisation should be focusing on

He wasn't enthused enough to actually get involved and help in setting it up though

Then when it turns out that those setting it up realised that they needed to be more focused to get CaRT to talk to them and decide to focus on CC issues he throws a hissy fit because he's not a CCer

Now he's trying to present what happened the way it is in his head which is not the way it appeared to me at the time

And then he starts making things up like the quote below

Also, in organisations such as these, a sizable donation usually bumps one up to "honorary life member" so a lottery winner could circumvent the dodgy democratic system.

Carl - Your posts show you still do feel resentment - get over it

• Greenie 2

If you swap Carl for me in that, it still works. I also felt it was underhand and was very disappointed - I notice I can still get very wound up over it. Be careful in assuming who holds what positions on a subject.

Richard

But carl isn't discussing facts though, hes discussing 'feelings' and trying to present them as facts

for example he says.

I have already said that I am expressing an opinion, not facts.

In the long running ACC thread, however, I did support my opinion with relevant facts and quotes.

- when there was no underhandedness about it.

In your opinion. Nobody has presented any evidence that supports that opinion so you are unlikely to change mine.

Now he's trying to present what happened the way it is in his head which is not the way it appeared to me at the time

Why on Earth would I want to present what happened the way it is in your head?...If that were possible.

Why do you feel you are entitled to dicuss youropinion yet feel I am wrong to discuss mine?

And then he starts making things up like the quote below

Also, in organisations such as these, a sizable donation usually bumps one up to "honorary life member" so a lottery winner could circumvent the dodgy democratic system.

Carl - Your posts show you still do feel resentment - get over it

This is not made up but is a fact. I am a honorary life member of a natural history society because of my contribution to it so what I said is, in at least one case factually correct.

I mentioned it in a light hearted manner and it is up to you how you interpret it

I have no resentment towards anybody and am happy that John is posting again but, if somebody raises the issue again I will cheerfully discuss it within the forum rules.

It does, however, become tiresome that some people think they are free to express their opinion but mine should be restricted.

Edited by carlt
  • Greenie 4

If you swap Carl for me in that, it still works. I also felt it was underhand and was very disappointed - I notice I can still get very wound up over it. Be careful in assuming who holds what positions on a subject.

Richard

Yes, I know. i remember your posted thoughts at the time.

I'm not assuming anything about you or your position

I have already said that I am expressing an opinion, not facts.

In the long running ACC thread, however, I did support my opinion with relevant facts and quotes.

In your opinion. Nobody has presented any supporting evidence that supports that opinion so you are unlikely to change mine.

Why on Earth would I want to present what happened the way it is in your head?...If that were possible.

Why do you feel you are entitled to dicuss youropinion yet feel I am wrong to discuss mine?

This is not made up but is a fact. I am a honorary life member of a natural history society because of my contribution to it so what I said is, in at least one case factually correct.

I mentioned it in a light hearted manner and it is up to you how you interpret it

I have no resentment towards anybody and am happy that John is posting again but, if somebody raises the issue again I will cheerfully discuss it within the forum rules.

It does, however, become tiresome that some people think they are free to express their opinion but mine should be restricted.

I dont care about changing your opinion carl and nobody has said your opinion should be restricted so stop pretending they have

I'm pointing out for the benefit of those who weren't around at the time that any 'underhandedness' was in the minds of a few people and not a feeling shared by all

• Greenie 3

...nobody has said your opinion should be restricted so stop pretending they have

Well it certainly reads like that to me especially following your post agreeing with Richard's...

Some day, we will have a thread mentioning the ACC that doesn't leap into the past, have founder members having to defend their position (or yawning), doesn't discuss the constitution or voting rights

God, I hope that day is soon and we can start to see what the ACC is doing, not how it was formed

Richard

Which makes your next statement even more ironic...

I'm pointing out for the benefit of those who weren't around at the time that any 'underhandedness' was in the minds of a few people and not a feeling shared by all

Why continue the discussion when you are fed up with reading about it?

You could have expressed your opinion without making personal comments about me expressing mine.

Nothing was implied Carl. How you interpreted what you were seeing was your choice. We were fighting at the time on behalf of all boaters, (much as we do now).

When it was decided how we would move forward, we announced it.

Your silly tantrums are boring, and to be quite honest, becoming tedious.

On occasion, you discuss nothing, you just blubber on till you wear your opponent down.

Your just another keyboard warrior as far as I see.

Throwing people's names on the Internet, ie a forum, then in the next instance, preaching forum etiquette!

Pathetic.

• Greenie 1

Nothing was implied Carl. How you interpreted what you were seeing was your choice. We were fighting at the time on behalf of all boaters, (much as we do now).

Indeed it is my opinion based on evidence that I produced in the long thread that you, as usual dismissed rather than defended.

I used your real name because that was your original forum name until you were banned when you set up a new account and spent quite some time posing as your wife.

You talk of my tantrums but at least I stick to the topic rather than just resort to insults.

I repeat I am not preaching forum etiquette but I do stick to the forum rules and if you or anyone else doesn't like it then you know where the ignore button is because, until you can get the rules changed, I am here to stay and I do not care what you think about me.

It is you who is pathetic because you sang my praises when we were in agreement and you revert to insults when you get a bit of criticism.

I also repeat that I did not raise the issue of the formation of the ACC but, if someone else does, I do not see why I cannot offer my opinion without insults from you, when anybody else is free to.

If you treat all dissenting voices with such disregard then you will drag your organisation down with you.

Edited by carlt

Throwing people's names on the Internet, ie a forum, then in the next instance, preaching forum etiquette!

Pathetic.

Come off it Jenlyn - it's not that hard to find now is it?

http://www.associationofcontinuouscruisers.org.uk/the-council/

Steve Jay

284254_245820832112187_602700_n-300x225.

I have owned boats for the best part of 40 years.

The present boat is a widebeam (Jenlyn), purchased as a shell in 2007. Delivered to a marina on the Thames, I spent 18 months fitting it out before coming onto the canal system as a constant cruiser in 2009.

I have a passion for the lifestyle I have chosen, and believe continuous cruisers are a unique community that deserve recognition for the vibrancy and lifeblood they bring to the canals.

07888 821 775

steve.jay@associationofcontinuouscruisers.org.uk

Come off it Jenlyn - it's not that hard to find now is it?

http://www.associationofcontinuouscruisers.org.uk/the-council/

Steve Jay

284254_245820832112187_602700_n-300x225.

I have owned boats for the best part of 40 years.

The present boat is a widebeam (Jenlyn), purchased as a shell in 2007. Delivered to a marina on the Thames, I spent 18 months fitting it out before coming onto the canal system as a constant cruiser in 2009.

I have a passion for the lifestyle I have chosen, and believe continuous cruisers are a unique community that deserve recognition for the vibrancy and lifeblood they bring to the canals.

07888 821 775steve.jay@associationofcontinuouscruisers.org.uk

Bit of a screw up there eh, it does not have the name Carl quoted does it??

(shakes head)

Indeed it is my opinion based on evidence that I produced in the long thread that you, as usual dismissed rather than defended.I used your real name because that was your original forum name until you were banned when you set up a new account and spent quite some time posing as your wife.You talk of my tantrums but at least I stick to the topic rather than just resort to insults.I repeat I am not preaching forum etiquette but I do stick to the forum rules and if you or anyone else doesn't like it then you know where the ignore button is because, until you can get the rules changed, I am here to stay and I do not care what you think about me.It is you who is pathetic because you sang my praises when we were in agreement and you revert to insults when you get a bit of criticism.I also repeat that I did not raise the issue of the formation of the ACC but, if someone else does, I do not see why I cannot offer my opinion without insults from you, when anybody else is free to.If you treat all dissenting voices with such disregard then you will drag your organisation down with you.

Grow up.