What licence concessions?

pophops

Featured Posts

My licence renewal form gives the full licence fee followed by a blank space labelled "concessions (where applicable)",then gives the licence fee after concessions (same as the full licence fee in my case) and finally an early payment fee.

What are these "concessions" and more importantly how do I get 'em?

So that's 25% off if I take out the engine and fit an electric motor instead. I was hoping for something more constructive such as 10% off for pensioners or half price for grumpy old menbiggrin.png

Well, it's a thought but I guess then they would need to double the price to maintain present income there are just too many of us!laugh.png

Edited by churchward

If you follow that tom its logical conclusion why should anybody get a concession for anything?

When it comes to licensing a boat, I'm not sure one should get concessions for anything. Except perhaps for following all the rules. And even then, NO!

Along the same lines : why do disabled drivers get free parking here and there, when it isn't free for the fit and able?

( I don't mind the disabled having slots close to the door, but why should it be free?)

When it comes to licensing a boat, I'm not sure one should get concessions for anything. Except perhaps for following all the rules. And even then, NO!

Along the same lines : why do disabled drivers get free parking here and there, when it isn't free for the fit and able?

( I don't mind the disabled having slots close to the door, but why should it be free?)

Your view seems harsh and uncaring particularly since in another thread you say

You sound exactly like me. I'm technically breaking the rules in winter, but I remain on 'standby' if I'm challenged by the Viet Cart. I'll move properly (or pay the winter towpath fee) if I'm asked to 'move along there'.

Perhaps it would be OK by you if the disabled person parks for free until they get caught?

Because many (most?) people feel compassion for those less fortunate than themselves e.g. students on restricted income, disabled, elderly on restricted income etc.

On a slightly related note, my licence is due for renewal/expires on the 31st of this month, and I appear to not be being offered the prompt payment discount at all, as the renewal letter (dated November, but I'd bet my arse not sent til well into December) gives three different amounts:

Prompt payment fee, full fee and late fee, with the prompt payment fee and full fee being the same amount. Am I misreading it or missing something, or am I not being given the prompt payment discount option?

Ultimately it is irrelevant to me as I will be paying in installments by DD (which means I don't get the prompt payment rate anyway) but I am sure I always used to be offered the prompt payment rate as an option, assuming i planned to pay in full in advance.

On a slightly related note, my licence is due for renewal/expires on the 31st of this month, and I appear to not be being offered the prompt payment discount at all, as the renewal letter (dated November, but I'd bet my arse not sent til well into December) gives three different amounts:

Prompt payment fee, full fee and late fee, with the prompt payment fee and full fee being the same amount. Am I misreading it or missing something, or am I not being given the prompt payment discount option?

Probably teaching grandmother to suck eggs, but.....

Amounts appear in two places I think.....

1) On the covering letter

2) On the Licence Renewal Form itself

On the letter there should indeed be three different amounts

Until end of month (discounted by prompt payment discount)

During next month (full amount)

Thereafter (full amount + £150 late payment surcharge)

If these amounts are not all different, I agree it sounds wrong.

HOWEVER (and perhaps a bit confusing!) on the renewal form you get something different....

Full Fee

Fee after deducting concessions (usually the same amount for most customers)

Prompt payment fee (discounted)

but the late payment amount not listed.

So you see just two amounts, one of them listed twice, normally. If this is where you are seeing the same amount listed twice, it would be quite normal, i think.

(Not sure I've explained that too well!)

Alan, assuming I have read what you mean correctly, I still think there is an error.

On the renewal form itself, it is laid out as you say.

But the cover letter, which appear to be at odds with what you say (and how I think it should be too) is as below:

Not offering me a prompt payment rate, unless I am missing something!

Renewal_zps900edb5e.jpg

I think this is because you already pay by direct debit, our letter was the same.

When I rang to say this year I wanted to pay all at once (My piggy bank was full, I've been saving hard) I then got the discount off what was the full full fee mentioned in the letter.

Seems to be as you pay by DD you don't get the early payment discount, but they could still charge you the late fee if you cancelled it so that is shown.

Just my thoughts.

Sue

Alan, assuming I have read what you mean correctly, I still think there is an error.

On the renewal form itself, it is laid out as you say.

But the cover letter, which appear to be at odds with what you say (and how I think it should be too) is as below:

Not offering me a prompt payment rate, unless I am missing something!

Yes, I fully agree it looks wrong.

UNLESS, (clutching at straws now!)

The asterisked footnote about the prompt payment discount includes the text "It does not apply if you wish to pay by Direct Debit instalments".

Now I admit mine says the same, and still shows a discount that I could not claim if I paid by DD, but (just perhaps!), if they already know you are paying by DD, and assume you will carry on, then the discount is perhaps omitted.

But I'm not convinced they would be that bonkers, and I actually still think it is probably an error! laugh.png

EDIT:

Sorry, hadn't spotted Sue's post before I replied. So it seems after all my far fetched suggestion may be how they do it, and their system IS perhaps that bonkers. I don't think it would win any plain English awads, if so.

Edited by alan_fincher

I have dug up last year's now as well, and the letter etc., is exactly the same, with the same asterisk detail on paying by DD, but the different (lower) amount for paying promptly is clearly shown in the appropriate spot last year! I have to call them tomorrow anyway to tell them I want to pay by DD, I will query it then!

I pay by debit order each month.

Are you saying I dont get the early payment discount????? (I thought we did by default. )

It is stated quite clearly that if you pay monthly by DD, you don't get the discount.

It is stated quite clearly that if you pay monthly by DD, you don't get the discount.

so why do people pay by debit order then???????????????????????

Going to check this out tomorrow....

I thought paying by d/o meant you were a good person. Obviously not.