So much for the boating community

Ex- Member

Featured Posts

Hi All

Lynn being a facebooker went on a site and joined a group called Kennett & Avon canal boaters society.

After a week of general conversation, some took umbridge at some of her posts. Non contained bad language or abuse of any kind. Certain members then formed a pack and constantly harangued her. The entire thread regarding Lynn was deleted by morning, so there's no record left.

But here's just a smidgen of the kind of posts to expect from a small minority on this group. Please note that I have partially blanked out the bad language, on the site though it's displayed fully.

There are also some veiled threats, the police have been informed and are now looking into the matter, the crime No. is 54140004275. Facebook have also been informed.

Lynn was banned this morning along with another member who was supportive of her situation. Then admin posted the following.

After the weekend's shenanigans, two people sent me private messages demanding that, as I'm admin, I remove Aaron 'Swine' Prince & Kim Rack! NO

Lynn never even contacted admin at any time or suggested as such. But admin obviously want that to make believe the opposite. So the above is unfortunately a complete fabrication.

Here are some examples of what to expect on this site from a small minority, with it seems the full support of the admin team, especially if you own a widebeam laugh.png

Aaron 'Swine' Prince Reported me yet Jason c'mon I've had a c**tful of waiting

Aaron 'Swine' Prince I can do this all night Jason, trust me I can. Don't turn tgis around after your petty threats to report me and tell me I'm in a clique. You still didn't answer who u was going to report me too, Bottom line is, u don't know f**k all about me or anyone else here for that matter

Chris Hope Wonder if Lynn Anderson and Jason Blagdon are relaited seeing their a pair of "F**ktards" or in pure English for their benefit (as their a little thick) "F**king Retards"

Aaron 'Swine' Prince I'm not aiming them at anyone in particular, ure all c**ts.

Kim Rack its just occured to me that cause that was all posted on Aarons post that the foxhangers witch couldnt see any of it. must have driven her mad knowing we were talking and she couldn't see or stick her oar in. lol lol lol ;-0 LOL LOL LOL

Aaron 'Swine' Prince People talking about bullying, you want to have a go on Canalworld, absolute bunch of c**ts I must say

Some members on the site now are posting veiled threats, hence contacting the police. Astonishingly childish, and not a very good advert for boating in general.

Chris Hope

Walking towards Foxhangers this morning my dog felt the urge to jump aboard a green widebeam called "Julynian" and take a dump, Not got a clue why he felt the urge to do this

Kim Rack i'm going to have to stop looking here. getting embarrased. and as for you Aaron 'Swine' Prince. i've now had a lock put on my diesel filler cap. we all know it was you syphoning all the diesel. And these new solar panels you're getting. oh yeah. which boat did they fall off?

Shameful behavior, I rather think

Obviously/ or more over hopefully this is a tiny minority of the boating community.

I thought Facebook were cleaning up their act too wacko.png

So be warned if going on that particular site.

What shocking spiteful behaviour- it's unfortunately amazing what FB brings out in people. I hope it gets sorted for you

I recently decided that I spent too much time on FB and questioned what value it gave me- I don't really need to know every trivial detail of my friends lives. I haven't been on since New Year and has my life ground to a halt- No

What shocking spiteful behaviour- it's unfortunately amazing what FB brings out in people. I hope it gets sorted for you

I recently decided that I spent too much time on FB and questioned what value it gave me- I don't really need to know every trivial detail of my friends lives. I haven't been on since New Year and has my life ground to a halt- No

Lynn mainly uses it to keep in touch with family, she then ventured a bit further. She been on 2 other facebook sites which are perfectly ok. It just seems to be a rather nasty bunch of persons in this particular facebook group.

Makes you realise just how civilized this forum is smile.png

Edited by Julynian

Only mugs use facebook, ask jeremy kyle.

Well not really if you keep your circle of 'friends' very tight and not let any old Tom Dick or Harry become one it's a great way to keep in touch with family and close friends. Particularly if they reside in another part of the country or world. We get a huge amount of entertainment from some of the stuff the younger members of our contingent post on FB.

The problems can come if you venture away from this approach about which this thread serves as a good reminder.

Only mugs use facebook, ask jeremy kyle.

I used to think that, but I've reluctantly changed my mind. Used properly and with good security/privacy settings, it's a great way to keep in touch with friends, family and people...it took me a while to get the hang of it, but I think I'm finally getting there!

I'm currently a member of several (and a mod of a few) canal related sites and never, ever have I seen this sort of abuse - we simply wouldn't tolerate it.

Sorry to hear that you've had such a bad experience. I never, ever thought that I'd be singing the praises of FaceBook, but it really can and does work if you learn how to use it!

Do I like it? Well, yes, as it allows me to see where all my boaty friends are and what they're doing. Would I miss it if it went? No, I'd live without it as I have all the mobile numbers for the people who are important to me.

At the moment I rather like it when people from this forum post their updates...it's enabled me to meet up with one or two and make a few new friends.

Janet

I used to think that, but I've reluctantly changed my mind. Used properly and with good security/privacy settings, it's a great way to keep in touch with friends, family and people...it took me a while to get the hang of it, but I think I'm finally getting there!

Actually yes good point about privacy settings (I forgot to mention those). You do indeed to have them set 'right' too.

I watched 10 minutes of a tv show called "Benefit Street Britain" (or some such) last night, the posts you have shared in the OP reminded me of the language / mind set of the people in the show. How very sad to see that people of that temperament live on the canal system as well. As you say, hopefully it is a very small minority.

As far as Facebook is concerned, I use it a fair amount. It's great way of staying in touch with friends and old work mates back in Canada as well as friends I've made in different parts of the UK. With that said I do have my security set fairly tight. I have recently joined a boaty/canal themed site and it is very sedate compared to what you've shared above, probably more along the lines of what Lynn was looking for. I'll see if I can find the link and send it to you.

Good luck with it down there - be safe

B~

ETA - the FB bits

Edited by Bettie Boo

As an admin of that group, I would like to make a couple of comments:

• As I understand it, the whole daft mess sprang from Lynn taking offence at a suggestion that may have been either serious or tongue in cheek. I believe it centred around a link to that "heat your boat with tealights" article that also circulated on canalworld a while back. I did not see that part of the discussions but have been told that her response was rather needlessly unfriendly. I don't place any blame on her for this, a simple misunderstanding and a small amount of rudeness, it is not really her fault that the situation escalated.
  • I was not contacted by Lynn, but was contacted by another recent member of the group, initially complaining about the language used by some members. I informed him that we do not have a policy with regard to language and that generally we do not intervene in discussions except in extreme cases. I was friendly, polite and my general advice to him was to avoid mistaking a little internet bickering for any actual ill-will.
  • He then sent me a message with much more extreme accusations, that criminal threats and defamatory statements had been made. He says that one of the admins falsely suggested that he had messaged her with complaints. His suggestion that this was a lie didn't really tally with the fact that he had already messaged me with such complaints the previous day. He suggested he would be seeking legal advice regarding "defamatory statements". To this I reminded him that the names he had been called constituted "mere vulgar abuse" and therefore not defamation. I asked him to point out to me any specific, defamatory, accusations against him, or serious threats made by members. I also reminded him that as the members of the group were non-anonymous I did not have a legal responsibility for any remarks made by other members. I advised him to let the matter rest and soon the whole thing would be forgotten; that suing your neighbours over a petty squabble was not conducive to harmonious living; that joining a group and immediately trying to impose his own standards on that group was impolite, particularly in light of the great deal of helpful and friendly advice he had received the previous day; and that I was losing patience.
  • He suggested that his "lawyer" had advised him not to speak to me.
  • Greenie 1

That's Facebook for you, all keyboard warriors full of wind and piss, they wouldn't say shit to your face. I hate f***book with a vengance an never use it

Bit it isn't. It's perfectly easy to avoid seeing all the wind and pee see the posts above.

Anyway if you never use it how do you know what it's like.......;)

Give this one to Lynn, not focused on the K&A, but I do believe there are members based in your neck of the woods - seems like a pleasant site from what I've seen so far.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/canallife/

There are a couple of F/B sites Lynn is already on which are very friendly and civil, I'll pass that one on to her, cheers.gif

She does have privacy settings set up for friends and family only. The information some members are using to make veiled threats have been gleaned from the information from previous postings she made.

That's Facebook for you, all keyboard warriors full of wind and piss, they wouldn't say shit to your face. I hate f***book with a vengance an never use it

I've been using Facebook for years and I've never encountered any abuse. As in real life, you just have to be careful who your freinds are......

• He suggested that his "lawyer" had advised him not to speak to me.

Would anyone with any sense really contact a legal rep to complain someone was being nasty to them on facebook and further then admit to the world they had done so .

Would anyone with any sense really contact a legal rep to complain someone was being nasty to them on facebook and further then admit to the world they had done so .

I never claimed he had any sense. Also, it would seem that his only contact with legal professionals is through American TV programmes and that loves the word purporting but isn't entirely certain of how to correctly use it in a sentence, so my opinion of him is not high.

HI Julynian,

am truly shocked any body (ok perhaps a little naive) but especially in the boating community! I hope you both are OK and not to shook up? I also hope that the 'gentlemen' who suggested his dog might take a little stroll on your stern deck was only talking in jest..... angry.png

Like Others I use FB to keep in touch with friends and family worldwide and try and be careful on what groups I join or allow to see my status updates...Who REALLY wants to know that I had poached eggs fro breakfast again??? icecream.gif