Help - Buckby Locks - GU ???

Bettie Boo

Featured Posts

Hi All,

Need some help plz.

Does anyone know if the Buckby Lock closer has started earlier than advertized on the C&RT web site?

Was speaking with a gentleman at Braunston Marina yesterday and he informed me we would need to consider mooring our boat at the Marina from the time she goes in on the 21st of Jan till mid March due to Buckby Locks being closed for works as we could only cruise for about 2 miles south of the Marina till we reached the blockage.

The planned stoppage on the C&RT site for Buckby Locks are still showing as the closer taking place from the 17th of Feb. to the 14th of March.

Our plan was to have the boat put in at Braunston on the Jan. 21st, moor at the marina for a week till we get unpacked, settled in and then head down south, making it past the Buckby closer before the 17th of Feb. I know there is a planned stoppage in Berkhampsted that will interfere with us making it any further south of that point till the end of that stoppage on March 7th, but we thought we could at least cruise between Berkhampsted and Buckby from the 17th of Feb - 7th of March.

Oh Dear, little worried now we will be stuck in a Marina for 6 or 7 weeks!!

Anyone in the area who knows the current state of the Buckby closer and can give advise would be most appreciated.

Ta

B~

It would be highly unusual for CRT to start a stoppage any earlier than an announced date, unless some additional failure made a situation more critical, and they had to bring it forward.

I would expect to be able to pass through Buckby up to, and including 16th Feb.

The Berko stoppage at the Rising Sun looks very serious and could potentially over run

?????

Not sure what I'm doing wrong then, but I've just listed all stoppages for the GU, (no time filter), and I can't see anything for the Rising Sun lock.

Saying that, I remember doing a winter cruise with andywatson down the soar and up the trent on 7th december 2 years ago to find that BW had closed Derwent Mouth lock early as they had finished Weston lock early.

Was 500 yards from winter mooring and had to reverse back to the trent and stop on sawley cut for 2 weeks.

It would be highly unusual for CRT to start a stoppage any earlier than an announced date, unless some additional failure made a situation more critical, and they had to bring it forward.

I would expect to be able to pass through Buckby up to, and including 16th Feb.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong then, but I've just listed all stoppages for the GU,

Hi Alan -

Thank you very much for this. At least I know I'm looking in the right spot for stoppages on the C&RT site and you've found the same info that I did.

Was just wondering if there might be someone in the near vicinity who could confirm the Buckby locks are indeed still operational at present.

Ta

B~

Give CaRT a ring

Hi DC - will give them a ring to confirm tomorrow when the open. Just thought someone on here, might

be close by and able to confirm if they are indeed operational or not.

Ta

B~

Bettie Boo -

Just because the canal is closed due to a stoppage (which in your case looks like its not) doesn't mean you have to go in a marina and pay. You just go up near the stoppage and wait - you can't be made to move on because the canal is shut. Ice, stoppages etc (can't think of any others!) are not your problem, so just moor anywhere safe and wait it out.

Currently moored just below top lock - they are operational. I'm moving south tomorrow.

clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif Thank you, thank you, thank you :)

Bettie Boo -

Just because the canal is closed due to a stoppage (which in your case looks like its not) doesn't mean you have to go in a marina and pay. You just go up near the stoppage and wait - you can't be made to move on because the canal is shut. Ice, stoppages etc (can't think of any others!) are not your problem, so just moor anywhere safe and wait it out.

Thanks Mike - just didn't want to be confined to a 2 mile cruising radius for the better part of 2 months :)

Looks like we'll still be ok

Ta both,

B~

Even if CART were to drop you in it at Bugby you could go at least to Foxton, Welford, Napton, Hillmorton or Calcutt without encountering a planned stoppage. That's much more than a 2-mile radius.

I realise most of these in in the 'wrong' direction.....

N

Even if CART were to drop you in it at Bugby you could go at least to Foxton, Welford without encountering a planned stoppage. That's much more than a 2-mile radius.I realise most of these in in the 'wrong' direction.....N

not in a fatboat!!

Slightly off topic - I've just tried to access the winter stoppages, the ones on a map by geographical area. It just links to a C&RT page then keeps linking back to itself. Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

One or two of the words there are linkys which take you to the list of pdf's

Unusual - yes, but not not never. Last winter we were held up in the Lapworth flight for three weeks (an extra two weeks) due to an ahead stoppage being commenced earlier than programmed. Couldn't go back the way we came either as a programmed stoppage astern had started.

To be fair to CRT, it owned-up to its error and made a very fair effort to make our enforced stay as comfortable as possible.

Whats it called? Nigella?

LOL she will be having a name change when she is re-launched on the 21st.

Currently Endeavour, soon to be sailed as Bettie's Blessing.....the new name is in honour of Dave's Mom; she passed away a little over 2 years ago, and it was the bequeath from her that has enabled us to fulfill this dream much earlier than we had planned.

Bettie Boo - down the flight with no problems today! clapping.gifclapping.gif But beware - Lockgate Café at Whilton only opening Friday to Monday till the summer so keep the kettle on angry.png

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the update - appreciated

I'm sure Braunston is a lovely marina, and it will do us just fine for a couple of weeks while we wait for furniture & appliance deliveries, but I want to get out on the open waters and start cruising as soon as possible. Will make sure we plan to pass by the Lockgate Cafe over the course of a weekend then :) I take it, it's worth a stop?

Are we having a Braunston launch banter?

Hey - the more the merrier!!

One kindly sole from the forum has offered to assist us getting her from where she is put in at, to whichever berth Braunston assign to us (doing the helmsman course a few days after we move aboard) & is bringing along the traditional btl of Newkie Brown for said christening :) I'm pretty sure we'll have a few more bevvies going round to christen us as wellcheers.gif

AB Tuckey said they should arrive with her at Braunston about 13:00 on the 21st.

We won't be hard to miss.....Bettie's Blessing is a "full figure" (10'10" wide) 57' long, Red with cream coach lines narrow boat, Dave and I will be the two on the canal side jumping for joy while trying to convince 2 cats, in carriers, that this is a great idea and they should give it a chance

Bettie Boo - Will make sure we plan to pass by the Lockgate Cafe over the course of a weekend then smile.png I take it, it's worth a stop?

It is for us! Awesome breakfasts all day - plenty of regulars tells its own tale!! rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Bettie Boo - Will make sure we plan to pass by the Lockgate Cafe over the course of a weekend then smile.png I take it, it's worth a stop?

It is for us! Awesome breakfasts all day - plenty of regulars tells its own tale!! rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Sounds like my "cup of tea" - Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day

Ta