Fishplate

lpp2

Featured Posts

No idea.

Fishplates are/were used to join pieces of railway track together, with big bolts.

I suspect someone writing the ad has got their terminology muddled?

Tim

Seconded.

Hard to imagine WTF fishplates on a boat might be. But it indicates to me the vendor is not familiar with narrowboats, and consequently calls into question everything else he says about the boat in the advert.

Tread with utmost care here, verify everything!

MtB

Good evening

Been looking at one or two boat adds, found one saying the boat had new fishplates, I'm fairly sure these have nothing to with food serving but what are they? what do they do? anyone got a picture.

Regards lpp2

Is it Harebell? (Linky to BWML Sawley)

For me, this just about epitomises Sawley Marina's expertise

Reckon youare right about whoever wrote the advert not knowing what was what, howver it may be that they are pukka but just a bit ignorant. A chap a few boats along from me is just clueless, insists on calling his pram canopy a Cratch and his hull sides as his gunwhales also calls his doors French Windows

Phil

Is it Harebell? (Linky to BWML Sawley)

For me, this just about epitomises Sawley Marina's expertise

I agree.

From the ad... "Resiting of propeller including new Boss, Fishplates and Stern tube, April 2011."

This is total bollocks, penned by a caravan salesman without a clue, I suggest.

Wow this NZ Marlborough SB is good... "Explorers" from Co-op local stores. Honest!

MtB

Reckon youare right about whoever wrote the advert not knowing what was what, howver it may be that they are pukka but just a bit ignorant. A chap a few boats along from me is just clueless, insists on calling his pram canopy a Cratch and his hull sides as his gunwhales also calls his doors French Windows

Phil

mate i made my own barge i even did the pointey bit and the blunt bit at the back..i recon fish plates are the bit that stops fish getting dragged into the fish mincer on the pointy bit, think there for people that cant drive the barge very well banned.gif

FWIW, a "fishplate" in shipbuilding terms, refers to an angled section, as often seen edging a deck. They are also used at any number of places within the ship.

Here is a quote from a ship's spec sheet:

To avoid cargo flowing around the accommodation/poop deck,
a transverse fishplate shall be arranged at the aft end of the cargo
area. At the outer end the transverse fishplate shall have the
same height as and be connected to the aft end of the gutter
plate.

So it doesn't necessarily have a railway connotation, and someone other than the salesman just might be "talking b*ll*cks" cool.png

Edited by majorminor

I agree.

From the ad... "Resiting of propeller including new Boss, Fishplates and Stern tube, April 2011."

This is total bollocks, penned by a caravan salesman without a clue, I suggest.

Wow this NZ Marlborough SB is good... "Explorers" from Co-op local stores. Honest!

MtB

Very interesting smile.png so it also has a variable pitch or folding prop. Highly appropriate for canal use smile.png Otherwise how can they fit a new propeller boss to the old blades!

Also in my view a load of what MtBM says. If really interested best contact the vendor and ask for WRITTEN clarification of exactly what was done. That quote could mean almost anything.

Very interesting smile.png so it also has a variable pitch or folding prop. Highly appropriate for canal use smile.png Otherwise how can they fit a new propeller boss to the old blades!

Also in my view a load of what MtBM says. If really interested best contact the vendor and ask for WRITTEN clarification of exactly what was done. That quote could mean almost anything.

I was especially intrigued by their claim that the propeller had been 'resited'. I wonder where it was before the work was carried out.

MtB

I understand the fishplates are the horizontal plates added to a nutty stern when motorised, to aid water flow around prop and rudder.

Good point, I think you are right. Often fitted to a butty too, when motorised. wink.png

More precisely, they are to stop aeration of the blade, where it sucks in air from the surface, and often termed 'anti-cavitation plates'.

Aeration of the blade should not be confused with cavitation however. Cavitation is a different thing.

MtB

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Being of a (slightly) charitable nature, also mindful that terminology changes by area in what is a craft industry -

I read the advert that the sterntube has been replaced and possibly because the original mounting area in the hull had rotted, it's all been replaced and rewelded?

Fishplate may not be the appropriate term as a narrowboat hull is generally one (welded) piece.

Does that make sense?

Yes that's the boat I was looking at, to be honest it confirmed my own thoughts, wouldn't you think they would get sales brochures right!! Thanks for all the comments.

Regards lpp2

If you really fancy the boat then mail them for an explanation. The boat looks clean enough and as though it has been well cared for. However, it does appear that the selling yard have attracted some negative comments from site members and this should also be considered.