How far can you pump solid waste uphill

Doodlebug

Featured Posts

Ohh dear I can't believe I'm asking this.

I want to pump toilet waste straight up onto the roof. Will I need a macerator to make a slurry? I am thinking solid waste will sink and take ages to be pushed up by more solid waste. Is it going to cause a problem if it sits in the pipe? Hope that makes some sense.

I'm working on a new cassette system for those wondering why I might want to pump it to the roof!

Merry Christmas btw!

Thanks!

Doodle

Hopefully you men "into a tank on the roof", not just "onto the roof"! :sick:

Roof tanks full of anything can quickly affect boat stability, so hopefully only a small tank?

Unlike bagged coal, a roof mounted pump out tank will not be easily moved when you reach the first low bridge or tunnel it will not pass under!

Haha no no into a tank but a 20l cassette set up. So won't affect stability although bridges are a good point.

What the problem is is that if you pump half a litre at a time with solids in its being pumped so slowly over a number of weeks use that I imagine up to twenty solids could be sunk in the bottom of the pipe stacked on each other. Liquid would just go around. So eventually a solid in the bottom would push one out the top but a slurry would move more effectively. But macerator a are more expensive

Thanks

Doodle.

get a big enough pump and you can pump anything!

Provided the walls of your delivery pipe are also thick enough:-)

Not a pretty sight when the pipe gives way..........been there, got the T shirt:-(

George ex nb Alton retired

Edited by furnessvale

Provided the walls of your delivery pipe are also thick enough:-)

Not a pretty sight when the pipe gives way..........been there, got the T shirt:-(

If you still have the T shirt, then I hope it has been thoroughly washed since!

Another consideration for this system is that the said riser pipe will remain full of sh1t. When, not if maintenance is require you will have a pipefull to deal with.

Keep thinking, I love to hear of your schemes. Very innovative.

Bob

If you still have the T shirt, then I hope it has been thoroughly washed since!

Did you ever see the colour of me when I was working Alton?

I used to have a good all over deep hot bath whenever I got home and still managed to leave a Turin shroud on the bedsheet the following morning:-)

Pumping toilet waste uphill?

Is it not worrisome that in domestic waste pipe installations, great care is taken to ensure that all pipes slope downwards, and all openings have either a trap (to hold an amount of water) or are the height of the house, to eliminate bad odours?

Pumping toilet waste uphill?

Is it not worrisome that in domestic waste pipe installations, great care is taken to ensure that all pipes slope downwards, and all openings have either a trap (to hold an amount of water) or are the height of the house, to eliminate bad odours?

I don't think Doodle's going to let common sense get in the way of a dodgy idea! rolleyes.gif

Non dump through toilets do exactly that: they pump waste up hill (but then it drops down into the top of the tank) So you're not wrong, Doodle!

For example the Tecmo macerating toilets that the Wyvern fleet uses pumps macerated waste up the U-bend and then vertically up a pipe that's about 50-70cm high. This then drops down into the top of the black waste tank.

My Sani-Marin macerating loo pumps waste into a tiny holding tank built into the back of the loo then from there along a pipe that rises diagonally for about 100cm (vertical rise of about 50cm) before the waste drops out the end of the pipe into the tank.

Considering these units cost £1000+ I would have thought the price of one able to pump waste to roof height would be prohibitive without a second inline pump. Why not feed the pipe out the back or front of the boat instead of up out the roof?

Also I can say from experience that any waste remaining in the pipes will smell. So you want to be able to flush and ensure all waste ends up in the tank straight away.

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Thing is I don't want to buy the macerator. I know the macerator I've seen pumps three m high so that's not a problem but it will be soup in the pipe. But solids is what I worry about. Roof is better due to getting less smell if there is any and doesn't take internal space so is much preferred. Hmm.

There are a lot of boats with a roof fitting for the pump out

Yes but that works under suction. I want to get the manual toilet pump to pump it up to roof level, pumping maybe 1litre over 24 hours So you can imagine only liquid will travel happily upwards.

My macerater pumps vertically for about 1 meter, the pipe then has a fall to the tank.

Immediately behind the pan is a one way flap valve, when it failed the flow back into the pan was considerable but the pan contained it.

Having approximately twice that flowing back, does not bare thinking about.

I want to pump toilet waste straight up onto the roof. Will I need a macerator to make a slurry? I am thinking solid waste will sink and take ages to be pushed up by more solid waste. Is it going to cause a problem if it sits in the pipe? Hope that makes some sense.

I'm working on a new cassette system for those wondering why I might want to pump it to the roof!

Have a look at the pump specs. This Whale pump can do 10ft.

Vacuum is a good idea but the problem is I want to keep it as simple as possible and having to ensure I keep the vacuum will be a pain - I can see.

I'll have a look at valves but the questions still remains - if I don't use a macerator would it get blocked?

I'm trying to work out how I can keep it within the boat so ill see what I can come up with.

Freezing is a good point though. Ill have a think:) Antifreeze in the tank? :P

Vacuum is a good idea but the problem is I want to keep it as simple as possible and having to ensure I keep the vacuum will be a pain - I can see.

I'll have a look at valves but the questions still remains - if I don't use a macerator would it get blocked?

I'm trying to work out how I can keep it within the boat so ill see what I can come up with.

Freezing is a good point though. Ill have a think:) Antifreeze in the tank? tongue.png

Did you go to the link I posted?

quote...

• Pumps un-macerated toilet waste
• Self priming up to 3 m (9.8 ft) - mount the pump in the most convenient part of boat

Did you go to the link I posted?

quote...

• Pumps un-macerated toilet waste
• Self priming up to 3 m (9.8 ft) - mount the pump in the most convenient part of boat

Yes - thank you. I am happy to buy a pump of some sort but am more worried about the cost. The toilet already has a pump so I would rather keep cost down. The link you posted says it can pump to 1m - is that because of the pumps power or to minimise the risk of blockage.

Yes - thank you. I am happy to buy a pump of some sort but am more worried about the cost. The toilet already has a pump so I would rather keep cost down. The link you posted says it can pump to 1m - is that because of the pumps power or to minimise the risk of blockage.

The linked whale pump can pump to 3m total (combined head and lift), (the performance data is for at 1m head). What toilet do you have, the head specs for the pump should be available.

The linked whale pump can pump to 3m total (combined head and lift), (the performance data is for at 1m head). What toilet do you have, the head specs for the pump should be available.

Ohhh, thank you! I must have misread. So in theory it would work.

Heres the link to the toilet: http://www.jabscoshop.com/marine/marine-toilets/toilets/manual-toilets/29090-3000-manual-twist-n-lock-toilet-compact-bowl.htm

I'm just trying to find out about it.