Up to 200 Feet of Towpath moorings Could Be Lost

Big Dig 1991

Featured Posts

If the new marina in Wrenbury village centre between Church Lift Bridge and Wrenbury Lift Bridge gets planning permission and is built up to 200 feet of moorings could be lost. This is a shame as its peaceful towpath moorings with lots of facilities for boaters including a shop, buses, 2 pubs.

Edited by Big Dig 1991

If...........

I've kept track of the planning application including the objections. I've not had time to read them all, but I've read most of them. There are an overwhelming number of objections. Also a lot of the supporing material which the planning agency have put forward has poor quality research in it, ie selective reports to try support their view, aspects of the planning based on unfounded opinions, etc which has been picked up on by the objectors. (Just as an example - they cited a lock traffic report from 2011 because it supported their case, rather than using the 2012 report which didn't). So I don't think this one has a realistic prospect of approval.

If the new marina in Wrenbury village centre between Church Lift Bridge and Wrenbury Lift Bridge gets planning permission and is built up to 200 feet of moorings could be lost.

......3 proper boats

or more smaller boats

Edited by matty40s

Interestingly, C&RT have made a submission on the Wrenbury Heath application distancing themselves from the information quoted by the developers.

Not quite calling them a bunch of liars, but not far off.

......3 proper boats

or more smaller boats

Yes I thought that too.

There are probably about the same number of on-line moorings being lost every week on average due to the CRT policy of removing them as marina space gets built.

Are these CRT leisure moorings or visitor moorings? Or just plain towpath yardage?

MtB

Up until the last couple of years, this was one of the few non 48 hour moorings on this canal, which made Wrenbury a useful staging post if I ever needed to leave the boat for a few days. Not sure there are any left on the Llangollen now

There are miles and miles of non-48 hour moorings on the Llangollen! It's called the towpath and widely used by many, often just on the end of the prepared visitor moorings.

There are miles and miles of non-48 hour moorings on the Llangollen! It's called the towpath and widely used by many, often just on the end of the prepared visitor moorings.

Yeah, I know, but it was a good location for those of us not blessed with a full fit out and cursed with still having to work for a living.

Yeah, I know, but it was a good location for those of us not blessed with a full fit out and cursed with still having to work for a living.

by "leave the boat a few days", are you not just depriving another boater of a useable mooring, similar to the planners.

by "leave the boat a few days", are you not just depriving another boater of a useable mooring, similar to the planners.

The llangollen now has a multitude of 48hr moorings. There are about 150' of 72 hour moorings in Ellesmere, and I think that's it. Certainly no 5 day moorings any more. It is now pretty much entirely set up for continuous cruisers and holiday boats. I appreciate as a weekend boater, I've gone from being pretty much the norm to an endangered species, but a few slightly longer period moorings can make a real difference if you want to make longer trips, but don't have the luxury of a baby boomer pension and no outside committments.

The llangollen now has a multitude of 48hr moorings. There are about 150' of 72 hour moorings in Ellesmere, and I think that's it. Certainly no 5 day moorings any more. It is now pretty much entirely set up for continuous cruisers and holiday boats. I appreciate as a weekend boater, I've gone from being pretty much the norm to an endangered species, but a few slightly longer period moorings can make a real difference if you want to make longer trips, but don't have the luxury of a baby boomer pension and no outside committments.

But as has been said there are miles of 14 day moorings. I know not all the towpath on the Llangollen is suitable for (easy) mooring, and it may not be exactly where you want it, but you can still moor for longer than 48hrs if you need to.

I find it difficult to understand your problem. Whilst the Llangollen is furnished with a number of 48 hour visitor moorings, there are miles and miles of good towpath moorings where you can stay for 14 days (or 14 months as some seem to get away with). There are plenty of visitor moorings at Ellesmere and quite rightly they are there for visitors not long term stayers. Even so, you can still moor for 14 days within a short walk of the town.

The problem with towpath moorings is that they tend to be on pins. If I am leaving the boat (Toad in the Hole _ continuous cruisers sometimes want/need to leave their boat for 1 or 2 weeks)I look for a mooring with rings for greatest security, Armco as second best. I won't leave it on pins as I don't know where it will have drifted to once the pins are pulled, which only takes a day on the Llangollen.

The problem with towpath moorings is that they tend to be on pins. If I am leaving the boat (Toad in the Hole _ continuous cruisers sometimes want/need to leave their boat for 1 or 2 weeks)I look for a mooring with rings for greatest security, Armco as second best. I won't leave it on pins as I don't know where it will have drifted to once the pins are pulled, which only takes a day on the Llangollen.

Luckily, there's loads of Armco on the Llangollen Canal.

Nearly all the rings on the Llangollen (and the Shroppie) have been installed for the benefit of visitors by the Shropshire Union Canal Society. Paid for by the Society and installed by volunteers.

I wonder how many of those wanting rings everywhere so they can leave their boats for a couple of weeks on secure rings are members of the Society? And how would they suggest the ring installations are funded?

And since, on the whole, people who want their boat to be in one place for 14 days do so because they are not going to be there in person, does it matter if it is a short walk away from the town?

Very well put. If you only have to walk it twice (once from the boat to the bus stop/pub for a taxi/road for a lift; once back again) what's the problem? The canals aren't there for our convenience!

I reckon a 3kW suitcase generator and an inverter welder is all that is needed to weld your own mooring rings onto the piling wherever you go....

MtB

Effective, if somewhat anti-social. Or do you not grind them off again when you leave?

Very well put. If you only have to walk it twice (once from the boat to the bus stop/pub for a taxi/road for a lift; once back again) what's the problem? The canals aren't there for our convenience!

Effective, if somewhat anti-social. Or do you not grind them off again when you leave?

No a service to every other boater using that stretch of the cut.