could I have the wood on roof after you've chopped it please...

matty40s

Featured Posts

Wandering along towards the tunnel and coming under Welton Road bridge, luckily I was going slow as I had been told there were logs around.

Suddenly a contractor turned and shouted stop, at the same time a tree fell about 10 feet in front of me.

20131203_105813_zps44fa9ce3.jpg

so I stopped, stuck kettle on and waited for my reward.

there is a lot of timber at the tunnel mouth. Ash, beech and hornbeam mainly.

Any chance you could keep us an ash bough for our butty tiller? Pretty...............ugly please!

I don't think there are any long enough left in the pile I scavenged, and I only took short ones as I don't have a chainsaw.

The ones nearer the tunnel mouth seemed to be longer.

Chop,

If you are serious and can wait until mid Jan I'm having my Ash at home re-pollarded. Can you say what thickness and length you would need? if it looks like there is anything on my tree that would do the job then I can ask the tree surgeon to keep it for me.

Phil

Fine to burn right now? Definately not. It will burn but that doesn't make it fine to burn right now, especially with coal. It will be 30% plus moisture, any firewood need to be sub 20% to be an efficient fuel and that includes ash.

its ash which has a natural low water content and its winter felled ash which means an even lower water content, it is fine to burn now

Burning unsuitable fuels is a risky business. We come across the 'wet wood is fine with coal' burners every day. They change their minds when they have a chimney fire or need their flue relined. This unfortunate person also thought burning poor fuel was ok, but it appears to have blocked his chimney, unseasoned wood does this. http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/9708345.Pendle_family_calls_for_carbon_monoxide_alarms_after_tragedy_on_narrowboat/

Burning unsuitable fuels is a risky business. We come across the 'wet wood is fine with coal' burners every day. They change their minds when they have a chimney fire or need their flue relined. This unfortunate person also thought burning poor fuel was ok, but it appears to have blocked his chimney, unseasoned wood does this. http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/9708345.Pendle_family_calls_for_carbon_monoxide_alarms_after_tragedy_on_narrowboat/

OK yes i know what unseasoned wood can do but i also understand timber water content, seasoning etc and that is winter felled Ash and is fine to burn green, as long as sensible precautions are taken, which in reality means a quick sweep once a week and carbon monoxide alarms.

i will always advise people not to burn green unseasoned wood, unless as in this case its Ash, there are other species that are apparently OK to burn green but as i have had no experience with them i would not recommend it.

Plus of course if you read that link, it does not mention unseasoned wood, in fact it talks about treated and untreated timber and chipboard all of which is normally "seasoned" and goes on to mention a lack of seals.

so nothing to do with unseasoned wood at all then?

Edited by tree monkey
  • Greenie 1

The fact of the matter is that his flue pipe was severely restricted by creosote build up. Thats why the gasses were in his cabin in the first place. He probably had the door open as the fire would not burn with it closed. Winter felled ash is 30% plus moisture, anything felled at the moment will be likely 40%. I'm sorry tree monkey but that will cause excessive creosote in flues. If you wish to burn green wood carry on, but don't condone it on a public forum where you cannot be sure of the consequences to others.

The fact of the matter is that his flue pipe was severely restricted by creosote build up.

You may well be right but nothing in that report suggested trouble was caused by blocked flue pipe. If anything it pointed at the flue not being sealed and use of "treated" wood.

The fact of the matter is that his flue pipe was severely restricted by creosote build up. Thats why the gasses were in his cabin in the first place. He probably had the door open as the fire would not burn with it closed. Winter felled ash is 30% plus moisture, anything felled at the moment will be likely 40%. I'm sorry tree monkey but that will cause excessive creosote in flues. If you wish to burn green wood carry on, but don't condone it on a public forum where you cannot be sure of the consequences to others.

I have burned mainly green Ash on my boat stove for 7 years, any other timber burnt was "seasoned" at least as well as can be on a canal towpath and i have had no problems at all, either to me or my stove

I only advise the burning of green Ash, which is an accepted practice and will never advise the burning of any other green wood, in fact will suggest its not a good idea.

I also sweep my flue once a week and i suggest to others this is a good idea if burning any sort of wood.

the sad case you have higlighted shows no suggestion burning green wood caused the tragedy, in fact he was burning pallets and composite wood products, i would suggest ignorance of how stoves works and the required maintance caused the problem and whatever was burned would have led to the same conclusion.

I am happy to accept your moisture content suggestion, although would argue the 40% at this time of year.

To a degree i agree with the broad point you are makeing.

regards,

As I understand it, you're both right. Ash will burn from green but the water content will still cause some creosote production in the flue. If you can, at least give it 2-3 months to season. If you're desperate, use it green, but make sure you keep your flue well swept.

As I understand it, you're both right. Ash will burn from green but the water content will still cause some creosote production in the flue. If you can, at least give it 2-3 months to season. If you're desperate, use it green, but make sure you keep your flue well swept.

Yup the differance is i am not warning of doom and gloom if you do and suggesting sensable ways of ensuring its safe to do.

Burning most green wood IS a waste of time mainly because you will waste heat drying it out before it will burn, as is the case with green Ash to be honest but because the water content is so low relative to most other timbers, it is managable and yes the tar is also a concern but as long as are aware and manage it life good.

regards

Chop,

If you are serious and can wait until mid Jan I'm having my Ash at home re-pollarded. Can you say what thickness and length you would need? if it looks like there is anything on my tree that would do the job then I can ask the tree surgeon to keep it for me.

Phil

Thanks Phil

I'll have a measure up of the wreck that was once our tiller and let you know.clapping.gifcheers.gif