Kelpies at Falkirk

nicknorman

Featured Posts

We took a drive down to Falkirk today to check out the Kelpies at the new lock from Forhpth &Clyde canal down onto the R. Carron. We were rewarded by low winter sun, so a few pics were forthcoming:

11155576336_967b754fe3_b.jpg by -nick.norman-

11155637194_31256f1598_b.jpg by -nick.norman-

11155645974_8d721ef0e7_b.jpg by -nick.norman-

11155678666_d89fb36f28_b.jpg by -nick.norman-

Edited by nicknorman

New lock....?

We have a hire boat holiday booked from Falkirk next June and my dad on board who insists on cruising dawn to dusk even in midsummer Scotland, so all extra locks etc will be explored if possible!

I don't think its open yet, but the old one is still operational.

You can only cruise dawn to dusk where there are no locks or swing / lift bridges because Scottish Canals train-set may only be played with under supervision and during office hours!

Edited by nicknorman

New lock....?

We have a hire boat holiday booked from Falkirk next June and my dad on board who insists on cruising dawn to dusk even in midsummer Scotland, so all extra locks etc will be explored if possible!

We have a holiday booked 9th June

Super photos, Nick. I understand that the official opening of the new bit of canal (through the lock between the Kelpies) is next April and we are looking forward to attending with Gamebird, our little Sea Otter. When we went to look at the Kelpies (by car) a few weeks ago, we couldn't get access to walk below the M9 and we couldn't find any road access to the new bit of canal between the Kelpies and the Firth of Forth. Can you now walk on the towpath below the M9? if so, we must go back for another visit.

haggis

I think you can get access if you drive towards Falkirk from M9, they are an a great site as you are coming down motorway, they just sort to start to appear and it just gets better as you approach them, but you have to take care as said on here they draw the eye, not good for driver safety, we stay quite near to Falkirk and always have a great time at the wheel and canal area superb day out.clapping.gif

When we went to see the Kelpies, we parked at the sea lock and walked round what was a building site with lots of bits fenced off. We could see the canal and towpath going under the motorway but couldn't get to it. We then drove down to Grangemouth docks, exploring lots of side roads on the way but we didn't find the new bit of canal which runs, I believe, along side the River Carron.

haggis

When we went to see the Kelpies, we parked at the sea lock and walked round what was a building site with lots of bits fenced off. We could see the canal and towpath going under the motorway but couldn't get to it. We then drove down to Grangemouth docks, exploring lots of side roads on the way but we didn't find the new bit of canal which runs, I believe, along side the River Carron.

haggis

I have looked on line for any detail of where the new cut goes etc, but can find nothing on either the helix, or the Scottish canals website. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but it seems odd that it's so hard to find!

I have looked on line for any detail of where the new cut goes etc, but can find nothing on either the helix, or the Scottish canals website. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but it seems odd that it's so hard to find!

If you head for Junction 6 of the M9 and then take the A905 north you will cross the River Carron after approx 1/4 mile, on the Kerse Bridge. This was the biggest obstacle on the the approach to the 'Old' sea lock – you needed sufficient water to clear the sea lock cill upstream, whilst still having sufficient headroom to get under this somewhat low road crossing: something of a navigational conundrum!

A new lift bridge is under construction at the southern end of the Kerse Bridge, over the new 1 Km length of canal which joins the Carron just east (downstream) of the (chemical) pipe bridge, via the new lock. There is a minor road, heading east, along the north bank of the Carron, followed by a track which takes you to a point on the river's north bank opposite the new sea lock. I've been along there once or twice for pictures and a general nosey.

A quick look on Google will clarify this!

For those with access to back numbers of Waterways World, there is an article about the Helix on page 88 of the May 2012 issue, giving a fairly good idea of what is what.

A couple of pictures of the Kerse Road Bridge – one with a Dutch Barge negotiating it (just) – demonstrate why a new section of canal, bypassing this obstruction, was desperately required!

The only online resource that seems to have any useful information is Falkirk council's planning dept...

There are 112 supporting documents for the 2011 planning application:

http://eplanning.falkirk.gov.uk/online/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=LI6RYBHC4X000

The easiest ones to work out what's going where are probably the Kelpie pool layout:

http://eplanning.falkirk.gov.uk/online/files/0B433D59F50DC5E6DCB343BD8B9D8037/pdf/P_11_0154_FUL-_Approved_02__Layout_of_Canal_Hub___Kelpies-190842.pdf

and the canal extension layout:

http://eplanning.falkirk.gov.uk/online/files/0F2080DA5745C6E03693EA4BD9F8EC50/pdf/P_11_0154_FUL-Canal_Extension_Layout-445937.pdf

Also on the list are canal sections & drawings of the new sea lock arrangements plus proposed details of the visitors' centre (which afaik still has no funding). It really seems a shame that none of this was put onto the Helix site to show the wider World what's going on.

Richard

edited because I got the links wrong...

Edited by Lampyrichard

The only online resource that seems to have any useful information is Falkirk council's planning dept...

There are 112 supporting documents for the 2011 planning application:

http://eplanning.falkirk.gov.uk/online/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=LI6RYBHC4X000

The easiest ones to work out what's going where are probably the Kelpie pool layout:

http://eplanning.falkirk.gov.uk/online/files/0B433D59F50DC5E6DCB343BD8B9D8037/pdf/P_11_0154_FUL-_Approved_02__Layout_of_Canal_Hub___Kelpies-190842.pdf

and the canal extension layout:

http://eplanning.falkirk.gov.uk/online/files/0F2080DA5745C6E03693EA4BD9F8EC50/pdf/P_11_0154_FUL-Canal_Extension_Layout-445937.pdf

Also on the list are canal sections & drawings of the new sea lock arrangements plus proposed details of the visitors' centre (which afaik still has no funding). It really seems a shame that none of this was put onto the Helix site to show the wider World what's going on.

Richard

edited because I got the links wrong...

Thanks richard, in fact I found this one to give the best overview:

http://eplanning.falkirk.gov.uk/online/files/92E1E542E108D356E796A165269AE566/pdf/P_11_0154_FUL-Location_Plan-445938.pdf

Seems odd that there is nothing equivalent on the helix or Scottish canals websites.

curmudgeon time I'm afraid, although I'll start by saying they are very, very impressive and will be a huge boost to the area.

They were indeed supposed to rock as part of a process for operating the lock. the lock was to be a displacement lock which was filled and emptied by moving water between the chamber and side-tanks: as the tanks filled, a piston would rise causing each kelpie to rock in one direction, as the tanks emptied (to refill the lock) the piston would fall causing the kelpies to reverse the movement. I suspect this was not strictly mechanically required, but it was a selling point.

The canal and the kelpies got their funding against considerable competition at least in part based on this link between them: without it, the canal didn't need the kelpies and the kelpies had no functional purpose and didn't "need" the canal. Possibly as a result of this, the Kelpies appeared on the front page of The Times last week with no mention of the canal scheme.

Now, I can guess exactly how this happened, a huge wedge of lottery funding awarded, and after a significant amount of it had been spent the schemes promoters had to go back and say "erm...". Someone in my position, a project monitor, then faced the dreadful prospect of pulling the plug or somehow fudging the issue, they did what I'd have done, chose the fudge and kept the rest of the "approved purposes" alive.

I do wonder if the visitor centre has gone the same way for a similar reason: as an outcome, that is arguably a bigger disappointment than the non-functioning bit.

So, they're very impressive, indeed I'll probably make the long journey from Somerset to see them, but the link between them and the canal has been broken, and that is what got them funded in the first place.

Edited because opposition wasn't what I meant!

Edited by magpie patrick