Wendover and Aylesbury Arms

junior

Featured Posts

Just so you know, in metric, Albion is 670 mm from uxter plate to skeg which is about 2' 3ish" in English. The counter rises up slightly so you are looking at about 2' 6" with the counter flat on the water and a bit more if you are going at it fairly hard.

Steve

Cheers Steve, I should have thought to ask you. You have a good memory after 30+ years.

The Wendover arm really should not be too much of an issue on draught.

I think you are either not properly in the channel, or, as has been suggested, using too many RPM, and the back is digging in unnecessarily.

Try slower, and really thinking about your position, and where the deepest water is likely to be.

You were right, it seems that less is more. I did the return leg this morning on just over tick over and it took me less time than it did yesterday when I was on about half power.

Check as you leave there is a weir about 50m from the junction end on your left, if its on weir its high, usually its a couple of inches down.

For the festival they used to put planks on the weir and raise the level by four or so inches.

You were right, couple of inches off the wier.

Cheers Steve, I should have thought to ask you. You have a good memory after 30+ years.

You were right, it seems that less is more. I did the return leg this morning on just over tick over and it took me less time than it did yesterday when I was on about half power.

You were right, couple of inches off the wier.

Hi,

There is a flow of water down the arm if the pump is in operation.

The level on the whole summit (and Wendover Arm) is the same, and mooring at Cowroast, I can say it's very high at the moment, boat gunwals level with the back.

The festivals are sadly missed (as is the income they generated). those in the 90's were excellent, but during the early 2000's they became a bit of a free for all and then despite valiant efforts, for a few years the rain ruined them.

The festival organisers did a brilliant job, but the sale of the field and loss of venue made it difficult to make a profit despite lots of effort.

As said' a real shame they are no longer held.

L

Anyone remember the festival in 1986? It was held in the field on the towpath side, opposite the mills. I seem to recall that it was Wendover Arm Group at the time, not Trust.

I got a lift back to the main line on the BW launch Verulam, in reverse all the way. The two [uniformed] guys on board said it would only run in forward because of a bladeful, and it wasn't their job to get their hands wet!

Tie up outside on the visitor mooring just the Aylesbury side of the entrance (a bit of a jungle atm and it's planning limited to 2 hours as well during the day), then go and see Bryan Barnes on NB Kalamaki. There is a category of temporary member or similar but I don't know whether we can sell diesel to temporary members.

If you are desperate I'm sure something can be worked out.

N

• Greenie 1

Tie up outside on the visitor mooring just the Aylesbury side of the entrance (a bit of a jungle atm and it's planning limited to 2 hours as well during the day), then go and see Bryan Barnes on NB Kalamaki. There is a category of temporary member or similar but I don't know whether we can sell diesel to temporary members.

If you are desperate I'm sure something can be worked out.

N

Thanks for the advice. It's not diesel, it's more serious. Are you a resident of the basin?

Is there a pollution issue?

Don't know but my engine just went off on it's own revving it's nuts off for about 10 mins until I could work out how to shut it down. I'm now in the ACS basin broken down. Pondering my next move. Big problems I think!

Don't know but my engine just went off on it's own revving it's nuts off for about 10 mins until I could work out how to shut it down. I'm now in the ACS basin broken down. Pondering my next move. Big problems I think!

Ok bit late on this but if the engine runs away best to block the air intake with a big rag (not your hand).

Thanks for the advice. It's not diesel, it's more serious. Are you a resident of the basin?

We aren't residents, but we do moor there.

Assuming the engine stopped without mechanical derangement, the first thing to check is the oil level- is it too full and if so has it got diesel in it. If it smells strongly of diesel and is 'thin' then you need to find the diesel leak and change the oil.

If the oil level is OK have a look at the fuel pumps linkage to the governor to ensure it's all as it's meant to be and that something vital hasn't dropped out.

If you aren't mechanically minded Ed Boden has a good reputation.

N

Thanks for all the suggestions.

One of my fuel pumps packed up. It just happened to pack up right outside the ACS basin and there just happened to be an engineer here. He's whipped off the pump and took it for overhaul.

So I'm now a temporary resident of the basin. Any forum members here?

Whilst it's a pain in the arse to have broken down and my whole experience of the Aylesbury Arm has not been enjoyable, I can't thank the Aylesbury Canal Society enough for their help!

Well if you are going to break down, you certainly pick the best spot - right next to an engineer. Do you do the lottery?

I did have to bow haul (is that the right word if you're pulling it backwards?) the boat about 200m back to the basin with the help of 2 very obliging dog walkers. One on the front rope and one with the shaft. A god almighty push managed to get me across and into the basin. It must have all looked a bit 'chuckle brothers' but was quite amusing. But you're right, I couldn't have been luckier that there was an engineer on site!

NB have you got a decompression lever on your engine? you could use this to stop a run-away too apparently.

I think that's the way the engineer just showed me how to do it. If anyone is reading this and doesn't know what to do if this happens to them, I recommend you find out. It was quite a scary experience!!

As a general principle, be very careful with putting the decompressors down to stop a diesel even if it is running away. It's rarely recommended by the makers as a routine way to stop the engine and there is always a risk that the piston will give the valves an expensive clout.

There is clearance for normal opening but at high speed con-rod stretch is not unknown and the decompressors often can open the valve more than the camshaft does.

N

Whilst it's a pain in the arse to have broken down and my whole experience of the Aylesbury Arm has not been enjoyable

I know this is a bit like asking "Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?", but apart from the breakdown, why was your experience of the Aylesbury Arm not enjoyable?

I know this is a bit like asking "Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?", but apart from the breakdown, why was your experience of the Aylesbury Arm not enjoyable?

Quite simply, water levels.

I'm quite inexperienced having only been boating about 3 months but I've never had serious problems with water levels having only been on the GU so far. I didn't get over about 1mph and couldn't get the boat into lock landings, which as a single hander was very difficult. I left Marsworth at about 11.30am and didn't get to Aylesbury basin until about 7.30pm. Continuous grounding got very tedious. I think the worst thing was knowing I had to do it all again going back up today (except I haven't obviously).

On the plus side, the scenery was beautiful and water levels aside it was a lovely canal and I would definitely cruise it again. Narrow locks were fun and at the beginning of the canal there was two locks stuck together which was interesting!!

Hopefully by the time I get fixed and on my way the water will be up again. And yes I know I better get used to it!

Quite simply, water levels.

I'm quite inexperienced having only been boating about 3 months but I've never had serious problems with water levels having only been on the GU so far. I didn't get over about 1mph and couldn't get the boat into lock landings, which as a single hander was very difficult. I left Marsworth at about 11.30am and didn't get to Aylesbury basin until about 7.30pm. Continuous grounding got very tedious. I think the worst thing was knowing I had to do it all again going back up today (except I haven't obviously).

On the plus side, the scenery was beautiful and water levels aside it was a lovely canal and I would definitely cruise it again. Narrow locks were fun and at the beginning of the canal there was two locks stuck together which was interesting!!

Hopefully by the time I get fixed and on my way the water will be up again. And yes I know I better get used to it!

If you are stuck there tonight the best two pubs in the centre of Aylesbury are the Wetherspoons in the Market Square (Not the one by the theatre, which is stll OK) and the Kings Head which is owned by the National Trust.

Tim (Long time Aylesbury moorer)

Edited by Tim Lewis

If you are stuck there tonight the best two pubs in the centre of Aylesbury are the Wetherspoons in the Market Square (Not the one by the theatre, which is stll OK) and the Kings Head which is owned by the National Trust.

Tim (Long time Aylesbury moorer)

I would cheerfully agree about the Kings Head, but sadly only the Farmer's Bar is open, the main part is open during the day, but only sells coffee and some books. This older part is superb with exposed 'wattle and daub' walls and a wonderful stained glass window. Many are the happy times I had in there 40 years ago when I started work in Aylesbury.

L

Ok bit late on this but if the engine runs away best to block the air intake with a big rag (not your hand).

Or empty a co2 fire extinguisher into the air inlet of the engine. Potentially safer for it (and you!) if the rag fails and is sucked deep into the manifold/inlet ports in the head.