Flooring

rickngill

Featured Posts

We are newish to owning a canal boat and currently the floor is carpet and it is in need of a change, the thing is we are not to sure wether to just replace carpet with carpet or to go all out for it and have solid oak flooring or even karndean fitted. The flooring under the carpet is chipboard which I know isn't very good and we get a bit concerned about water spillage as there is no underlay or some kind of protective layer and we have already had a small leak on the calorifier tank? What would you all recommend, I know it will be personal preference but all comments will be welcome.

Ps, the side walls are also fitted with carpet but a different kind.

We have carpet tiles - they can be lifted for easy access to the bilges and can be easily cleaned / replaced if required. They're easier to fit than carpet - far more forgiving if you get it wrong when cutting. The lower cabin sides are either behind fitted furniture or are clad in wood.

The floor underneath is 18mm ply wood cut into 2' wide panels so it's possible to gain access to the bilge and ballast quite easily. Not all boats are like this and replacing the chipboard could be quite difficult especially it its the width of the boat and fittings are built on top of it.

• Greenie 1

I have had both, the carpet was hard to keep clean, mud, coal dust ( a hot coal bounced out onto the carpet and singed it) and not forgetting the space a hoover takes, though you can use a broom. The husband fitted underfloor insulation and laid laminate on top. It only needs a floor wipe to come up spotless every time, its not good on bare feet though because it can be a bit cold underfoot so socks or slippers for sure. I think if you have pets (Me - 2 cats) it's the best option.

As has been said, it really does depend on how you use the boat; but that said, carpet will always end up looking grubby after a while. You could use a "carpet runner" to protect the main flooring but then all you see is the grubby strip you keep walking on. My preference is solid wood; I have Sapele planked flooring in Jigsaw and solid oak planks in my daughter's boat AnastasiA.

I have used a vinyl product similar to Amtico in the past which was very good and stood up to heavy use very well - it is also waterproof so spills etc. don't bother it.

If you like soft flooring then carpet tiles will work for you, otherwise small rugs on a wooden floor are easy to wash and replace after a while.

Enjoy your boat, you'll soon work out was is best for you.

If you have a dog- then wooden floor isn't the best option. Whichever you do- some very cheap and bright (ebay) rugs and runners will help it last longer. Its amazing but we (including the dog) do seem to carry a fair bit of grass and mud in- plus with the multi stove dust - a few cheap rugs will help. There are some good runners on ebay- I have one at home- it came in different colours and is like a woven hessian with an anti slip back- and its lasted well in an area of high traffic

Another vote here for wood flooring. Cath was adamant that the floors would not be carpet, I was more leaning towards the soft option because I like the feel underfoot. Of course, SHMBO got here way and boy am I glad. When cruising you just can't help having to go into the boat without taking of boots/shoes and the resulting mess on a carpet could be awful.

Bob

I've been looking at wood too and notice 'engineered wood' seems common and often (not always) cheaper than solid wood. It seems lik e thick faced ply and comes ready finished which is appealing. Has anyone got this and how do they rate it? Are there better or worse brands?

And how is wood in a bathroom?

We have Flotex. It's quite easy to keep clean, even with two dogs. Once a year we wash it with an VAX, otherwise I just brush or hoover it occasionally. It's totally water-resistant (useful for cleaning spills or when you get a leak in the plumbing) and it's very hard-wearing; after 21 years it's beginning to show a little bit of wear on one or two places but will do us for a few years yet.

I've been looking at wood too and notice 'engineered wood' seems common and often (not always) cheaper than solid wood. It seems lik e thick faced ply and comes ready finished which is appealing. Has anyone got this and how do they rate it? Are there better or worse brands?

And how is wood in a bathroom?

We have an engineered wooden floor (a good quality one, to boot)

We were seriously considering solid oak, but (much) research confirmed that an engineered board can be better, for the simple reason that owing to it's cross-laid manufacture (the timber sheets grains are sandwiched at right angles to each other), engineered board expands and contracts a lot less than solid planks.

A wooden floor will work in a bathroom, but it will require thorough preparation, excellent sealing, and more frequent repolishing than other areas of your floor.

I am about to replace the flooring in Cariad.

It is carpet in the saloon and bedroom and laminate in the galley and heads.

I am going to use a pre finished 18mm bamboo over the existing plywood and make a lot more access to the bilges while I am at it.

Carpets just do not work in a boat that gets year round use.

I will put a rug in the bedroom and saloon just to make it a little warmer under foot.

I have just replaced a combination of carpet and cheap laminate throughout with Karndean and am very pleased with the results. Hard job was getting up the previously laid bitumin tiles that were under the laminate in the litchen and bathroom but son number 2 is a floor layer so that helped (also with the Karndean cost!). Been trying cheap Dunelm rugs/runners in the bedroom and in front of stove and will probably invest in a nice circular rug for the lounge.

For me I vote wood.

I had carpet in the salon and with cruising to my mooring I ruined it, what with mud, coal dust and wet coal leaking out the scuttle. It was red anyway and not to my taste so replaced it with a reclaimed hardwood parquet floor which is very easy to clean.

Before as I bought my boat.

Narrowboat1013.jpg

Boat006_zps18f04d7a.jpg

There was already laminate flooring in the kitchen and bathroom corridor (eventually I'll replace as a few chips in it) and tiles in the bathroom and carpet in the bedroom. The laminate flooring is slippy when I have mopped it and not a great fan of laminate. I myself prefer natural wood.

Jamescheers.gif

Edited by canals are us?

that is nice parquet- I like the steps as well

Thankscheers.gif

I would of liked it a bit more shiny, but will re oil it in a gloss finish the next time. Used saicos tropical hardwax oil as when it wears you can simply recoat without having to totally re -sand like you would with a varnish product. It's very non slip too even when wet.

James

Edited by canals are us?

we had carpet in the bedroom and living room for 2 years but having 2 dogs and a coal fire it got too dirty so we removed it all and put down good quality laminate flooring which is far easier to clean and looks better.

Mmm. Nice floor. How does the price of reclaimed match new? I have a hunch it may be more expensive... Esp when including any more complicated work laying it. If not more pricy I prefer the look. I have no idea where to look for this stuff or what to look for.

We have pondered flotex type stuff which is eminently practical. But nothing I have seen looks cosy or has a pattern I could live with - you can't get away from it looking and feeling faintly like industrial carpet. Which is exactly what I'm trying to get rid of (60ft of quality red patterned pub carpet in excellent nick, anyone?) To John's dismay ( because it will require him to look enthusiastic about disruption in the boat for longer) I have decided a wood floor topped with my extensive rug collection is the way to go. If I measure right, I may even be able to justify another round of Persian rug shopping......

we had carpet in the bedroom and living room for 2 years but having 2 dogs and a coal fire it got too dirty so we removed it all and put down good quality laminate flooring which is far easier to clean and looks better.

Did you put any sort of underlay, waterproof liner of insulation under the laminate, and what is the base flooring made of?

I'm hoping to have laminate flooring fitted by Carpet Right in a few weeks and when I ask for a quote I have a feeling they will try and sell me extra's.

Also, any chance of a photo of your flooring?

Edited by junior

Mmm. Nice floor. How does the price of reclaimed match new? I have a hunch it may be more expensive... Esp when including any more complicated work laying it. If not more pricy I prefer the look. I have no idea where to look for this stuff or what to look for.

We have pondered flotex type stuff which is eminently practical. But nothing I have seen looks cosy or has a pattern I could live with - you can't get away from it looking and feeling faintly like industrial carpet. Which is exactly what I'm trying to get rid of (60ft of quality red patterned pub carpet in excellent nick, anyone?) To John's dismay ( because it will require him to look enthusiastic about disruption in the boat for longer) I have decided a wood floor topped with my extensive rug collection is the way to go. If I measure right, I may even be able to justify another round of Persian rug shopping......

I would definitely say dearer especially by the time you have cleaned up the reclaimed parquet scraping off the old adhesive, bought the adhesive, laid it, sanded it (dusty!!) and oiled/waxed it etc.

To buy 8sqm of reclaimed parquet it cost 95.00 and the adhesive and oil finish £100,00. Sander hire £50. It was a lot of work for me but worth it. If you want quickness go for a wood engineered floor or laminate as it far quicker to lay and ready finished.

I bought my parquet from a reclamation yard based in Derby.

Jamescheers.gif

Did you put any sort of underlay, waterproof liner of insulation under the laminate, and what is the base flooring made of?

I'm hoping to have laminate flooring fitted by Carpet Right in a few weeks and when I ask for a quote I have a feeling they will try and sell me extra's.

Also, any chance of a photo of your flooring?

no we didn't put anything under the laminate it is laid on top of 18mm strand board.

20130504_175108_zps16f3a291.jpg

Thank you to everybody for your replies, sorry I didn't put enough info on the original post.

We live aboard the boat for approx 2 months in the summer and 1 month in the winter. Also we are on a towpath without mains hook up and our Hoover just drains the batteries of which we have 3 leisure.

We do have 2 dogs but they like to be outside with us when sailing and in their beds when were moored up, and we have been offered solid oak flooring inc fitting for around £700 which I think is fantastic.

So far most of you say wood which is my choice and it now seems it might be my wife's favoured choice too now.

Many thanks

Rick n Gill

Notts o swift

For me I vote wood.

The new flooring looks fantastic, well done for making such a good job of fitting it, also the steps look fab, think if will use your idea for this and the polish you use.

I had carpet in the salon and with cruising to my mooring I ruined it, what with mud, coal dust and wet coal leaking out the scuttle. It was red anyway and not to my taste so replaced it with a reclaimed hardwood parquet floor which is very easy to clean.

Before as I bought my boat.

Narrowboat1013.jpg

Boat006_zps18f04d7a.jpg

There was already laminate flooring in the kitchen and bathroom corridor (eventually I'll replace as a few chips in it) and tiles in the bathroom and carpet in the bedroom. The laminate flooring is slippy when I have mopped it and not a great fan of laminate. I myself prefer natural wood.

James:cheers:

no we didn't put anything under the laminate it is laid on top of 18mm strand board.

20130504_175108_zps16f3a291.jpg

We bought 2 large Ikea rugs (thick pile, almost shag) with the intention of laying them in the lounge and bedroom over the laminate flooring. 89 days into the 90 day "no quibble money back guarantee" we returned them unopened. It seemed like it rained for about 1/2 of those days and we now have 3 cats, bags of coal and wood etc and at the weekend we managed to fit 17 people onboard for a party - the rugs would have looked terrible in no time at all so we have opted for wearing fake-fur lines slipper boots instead - warm and comfy everywhere and a lot easier to clean that 2 massive rugs.

We're sticking with the laminate for the foreseeable.