Black swan

Gazboatman

Featured Posts

I think it is generalky accepted that Black Swans are another escapee specis which manages to do OK.

While on the Broads not only did we see Black Swans but also a Artic

Goose (Alsakan) and a Tree Duck (American)

The Tree Duck actually nests anything upto 60 feet up in the air and when the eggs hatch the ducklings just launch themselves out of the nest and fall to the ground, obviously their terminal velocity is quite low due to light weight and air resistance of their down.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

Hello peeps. This particular bird has become our regular feeding friend. He knows that (when were not throwing up!) there's bread to be had every morning and he comes and calls. He was at the nature reserve here at Rodley and the warden there told me he (the bird) was doing a good job of keeping the Canada Geese numbers down, I don't know how he did that though. Now I thought swans pared for life, if so, I wonder where tother one is? They have a much softer call than their cousins and they're much smaller. We've called it "the swan" as opposed to the other resident mute swans which we call "the swans". It's a nice bird. I wonder if it's illegal to eat it?

I wonder if it's illegal to eat it?

Basically the wildlife and countryside act gives all birds legal protection against being killed injured or taken. There is a short list of what might be described as game species which it is legal to hunt in season (about 19 species) and an even shorter list of "pest species" which can be killed.

IIRC no swan of any species (4 species are found regularly in the UK) is in either of the lists which are allowed to be killed.

Edit: The list of "pest species" has been deleted but special licenses can be applied for if necessary.

Edited by Jerra

Yeah, our native species can be a bit of a nasty beast. There was one on the marina we were moored at a few year back that regularly drowned the new ducklings.

A right nasty piece of work.

bob

That's how nature works. I'm surprised it has taken you so long to realise!

I fully realise that nature is red in tooth and claw.

Not all swans go around drowning every duckling they find. This one was particularly nasty.

Bob

Alpha male/female will mainly during the breeding season, some may not but most will, they see other water fowl as a threat to the food source for the cygnets, oh and it's not just ducklings

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

There's a pair on the Thames between around the entrance to the K&A. I have heard stories of them attacking ducklings and even cygnets but have never seen it happen, their reputation may be due to the way they defend their nests. I was told they were probably originally escapees from Child Beale wildlife park. They certainly make a lot of noise when they appear alongside looking for food.

ETA: Repeat of posts above!

K & A (River Kennet) at Reading:

IMG_7871-L.jpg

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

I haven't seen a Black Swan actually on a canal but I have seen them from the canal if you see what I mean (An area of water visible from the canal).

Brought to this country from Australia in 1791 they first bred in the wild in 1851. The 2008 - 2011 BTO Atlas shows them as present in 3% of the Tetrads of the country and having been proved to breed in 1%. Probably bred (birds present in the right habitat at the right time of year) in another 1%

As you say lovely birds and for once an alien species which hasn't run riot taking over the countryside (unlike the Canada Goose)..

Here's one, on the canal. Number three in the Black Swan class, launched in 1951. Top left hand corner of this reply! Well actually, the pic' shown was taken while our boat was crossing the Wash in 1972. It's on the canal for now though...

Edited by CygnusV