Paddington basin ... Not impressed

saxplayer

Featured Posts

Apparently "only" half the moorings are to be let as "winter" moorings.

Strange sort of consultation, they consult on one set of proposals, everyone apparently agrees more or less, they announce it is going ahead, all good so far, then they do something totally different

Still it makes a change from the ones where everyone objects then they do do what they proposed in the first place.

Edited by Phoenix_V

• 9 years later...
On 30/10/2013 at 10:05, WJM said:

If we are honest about it is the residential boats with no official moorings that are spoiling the London visitor mooring situation. If you put in a pontoon or a mooring ring you can be sure that you have now committed yourself to repeatedly evicting overstaying scruffy peeling boats piled high with junk, belching out dirty smoke and running screaming generators. It is this small band of oiks that are spoiling it for the more respectful boaters. We all have a duty to be respectful to those around us.

I love Paddington basin because the security there wont allow scruffy overstayers, so there is almost always a mooring to be had for genuine boaters.

Zombie thread I know, but worth revisiting ten years on, as the numbers of residential boats with no mooring in London has rocketed so much. 

As one of those boaters I have a couple of points to make:

1. The majority of CCers in London (including me) don't have especially scruffy boats or bad attitudes. People who get their knickers in a twist about them just tend to remember the scruffy ones. It's true that some people have a shitty attitude, though, and aren't considerate. Again, and as you maybe hint, a minority. But yeah, that's a tough nut to crack. Perception of CRT might be a little overly polarised, but CRT - possibly due to underfunding and being under too much pressure, I acknowledge - hardly helps itself in this regard. It seldom seems to even want to generate the *appearance* of being on the side of boaters. And so so many mooring rings have been removed over the years, including from places with no residential properties hard up by the towpath, and where the canal is plenty wide enough. That really hasn't helped. 

2. The situation is - quite obviously - a symptom of the economic reality of trying to live in London. When I first lived aboard 20 years ago, moorings were pretty cheap and there were next to no CCers. A few retired couples passing through, and a smattering of 'water gypsies' who were tolerated as eccentrics. It hasn't exploded simply because people became aware of the option. It's because everything else is so *unaffordable*. This isn't your fault, or the fault of other boaters, and I'm not entirely unsympathetic to those who feel it has spoiled the feel of things (I myself am a Londoner and now I seldom come into London unless I have to traverse it. In fact I am zeroing in on a possible mooring well being the m25. It's such a hassle being in town, because of all the boats. But its not their fault things are like this). It's also not CRT's fault there are so many boats. Maybe it's hard to say to whose *fault* it is at all. But it's an entirely relatable expression of the state of things in this country. It's annoying. It really is. But it's just a sign of the times, really. The increasingly shitty times. As such I reckon we should be largely sympathetic to most of em. 

Screw the assholes though. There are some of them too

Paddington Basin is dead, deader than a dead dodo in Didsbury.

We were in London last weekend (to see Spitting Image the musical, and the BBC Earth exhibition), and happened for old times sake to alight from a bus at Paddington and walk through the basin area. It was hot and sunny, 2pm.

The widebeam cafe was closed, the whole of the SE end of the basin was dead, and no restaurants were open either. The new lifting bridge which replaces the perfectly good old bridge has never moved since the widebeam arrived. The electric boats were all sat there with none out, the chap selling paddle board, canoe and other things hire was snoozing in the shade, and nothing looked like it was out.

The very limited moorings (one space is now impossible to use due to the extended pontoon of the electric hire boats had 3 fairly smart boats, and over the other side by the hospital, there were about 6 or 7 boats(mix of narrow/wide). 

Only as you approached the station east entrance after crossing the bridge (lift out of order) did things liven up with a cafe boat, book barge and an musical boat which are all obviously permanent now.

So Paddington Basin has now even less going for it than it had 10 years ago, and less available water space.

20230616_170543.jpg

Edited by matty40s

12 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Paddington Basin is dead, deader than a dead dodo in Didsbury.

We were in London last weekend (to see Spitting Image the musical, and the BBC Earth exhibition), and happened for old times sake to alight from a bus at Paddington and walk through the basin area. It was hot and sunny, 2pm.

The widebeam cafe was closed, the whole of the SE end of the basin was dead, and no restaurants were open either. The new lifting bridge which replaces the perfectly good old bridge has never moved since the widebeam arrived. The electric boats were all sat there with none out, the chap selling paddle board, canoe and other things hire was snoozing in the shade, and nothing looked like it was out.

The very limited moorings (one space is now impossible to use due to the extended pontoon of the electric hire boats had 3 fairly smart boats, and over the other side by the hospital, there were about 6 or 7 boats(mix of narrow/wide). 

Only as you approached the station east entrance after crossing the bridge (lift out of order) did things liven up with a cafe boat, book barge and an musical boat which are all obviously permanent now.

So Paddington Basin has now even less going for it than it had 10 years ago, and less available water space.

How odd. I'm there right now. Sunny day. Weekday. Electric boats were buzzing around (and bumping into me!) last night - after work hours. Saw a bunch of 7 or 8 paddle boarders this morning. People very much in evidence at lunch time and after office hours. But they could of course accommodate way more boats if they wanted to. But that story is one that's repeated in so many spots all over London :(

I wouldn't exactly describe it as vibey here, though. Kind of bland/boring/soulless. Again, though, the story of so many new developments. That said, it's clean, and, I would guess, a pretty safe/secure place to moor in town

9 minutes ago, frangar said:

The more boats in London the better…..means I know where to avoid….awful place!! 

Bully for you but you know some people were born here. You may, if you chose to, regard that as unfortunate. But have a thought for us poor souls with family and connections here! I could avoid it, I suppose. But I really need to be within striking distance of my elderly mum - though maybe 'striking distance' isn't quite the right turn of phrase 😂

But really, I do actually tend to avoid it. I can't see it as a dreadful place, I really can't. Too much tribal loyalty. But I've been slightly surprised to discover, now I'm CCing, that I gravitate to quiet spots outside the m25 and just get the train in. I've been even more surprised to discover it's not just the boating aspects that do my head in. 

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner that I (keep telling myself) love London Town (despite the evidence to the contrary) ! 😳 

Edited by captain flint

24 minutes ago, captain flint said:

How odd. I'm there right now. Sunny day. Weekday. Electric boats were buzzing around (and bumping into me!) last night - after work hours. Saw a bunch of 7 or 8 paddle boarders this morning. People very much in evidence at lunch time and after office hours. But they could of course accommodate way more boats if they wanted to. But that story is one that's repeated in so many spots all over London :(

I wouldn't exactly describe it as vibey here, though. Kind of bland/boring/soulless. Again, though, the story of so many new developments. That said, it's clean, and, I would guess, a pretty safe/secure place to moor in town

Bully for you but you know some people were born here. You may, if you chose to, regard that as unfortunate. But have a thought for us poor souls with family and connections here! I could avoid it, I suppose. But I really need to be within striking distance of my elderly mum - though maybe 'striking distance' isn't quite the right turn of phrase 😂

But really, I do actually tend to avoid it. I can't see it as a dreadful place, I really can't. Too much tribal loyalty. But I've been slightly surprised to discover, now I'm CCing, that I gravitate to quiet spots outside the m25 and just get the train in. I've been even more surprised to discover it's not just the boating aspects that do my head in. 

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner that I (keep telling myself) love London Town (despite the evidence to the contrary) ! 😳 

I was born on the Essex/East London border. Sadly I have to return sometimes for family reasons. I have no desire to live there ever again. 

1 hour ago, captain flint said:

How odd. I'm there right now.

I wouldn't exactly describe it as vibey here, though. Kind of bland/boring/soulless

Were you in there last Sunday, the boat name rings a bell?

Paddington basin could be so much more, have a real atmosphere and vibe to it, although I think it's too far gone now to stand a chance. The area near Kings Cross with the old coal yard and cross canal cinema has been very well put together and buzzes.

I was iced in at paddington for a month in 2010, it was 11 min cycle from my base office so very handy that cold winter.

24 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Were you in there last Sunday, the boat name rings a bell?

Paddington basin could be so much more, have a real atmosphere and vibe to it, although I think it's too far gone now to stand a chance. The area near Kings Cross with the old coal yard and cross canal cinema has been very well put together and buzzes.

I was iced in at paddington for a month in 2010, it was 11 min cycle from my base office so very handy that cold winter.

Nope, and it's not my boat name! Pitched up here yesterday... Tbh I can't wait until I'm out past Enfield and I'm slightly dreading the next stage of my journey, and whether or not I'll find anywhere to moor. It was fine coming the other way, but that was in midwinter... 

Oof that's a fair old schlep though isn't it. Don't think I'm up for that right now - recently I've been feeling really really ropy, no idea what, it's like how people describe really bad long covid. But it's only just come on and I had covid ages and ages ago, so I don't think it can be that. Hopefully it will disappear as mysteriously as it came on and anyway it's only just on some days. 

I'll keep an eye out round Vicky Park or Stratford, or maybe the filter beds. Pretty sure I'll find somewhere to break my journey even if just overnight

We stayed for 10 days as my wife fell over a badly placed cable on the quay and needed 4 stitches so CART kindly said stay until we were sorted. Yesterday we moored at London Canal Museum which was excellent on advice from a fellow moorer at Paddington. Not sure how you could describe Paddington:Little Venice as lifeless  we really enjoyed it. Only complaint for us the heat and there is water and clean toilets if you know where to look. We are now in Limehouse waiting for the tide in the morning. As well as CART being helpful so were the  Vlockies at Camden. Only problem is M& S will probably have to close down now we have taken our custom elsewhere!

On 29/10/2013 at 19:43, jenlyn said:

Don't listen too much to the patrol officers, always check with CRT. What the patrol officers think they know, and what they actually know are nowhere near the facts.

Check with CRT.

Same with the Black Country Museum

On our first visit to London. We passed many scruffy boats with the usual rooftop scrap yard from Milton Keynes down to the M25. Then amazingly from Uxbridge down to Bulls Bridge and along the Paddington arm to Alperton hardly any by comparision. We actually got out of tickover for several miles. Going into Paddington next week so things will probably get busier. There were so many places (not exactly open countryside) to moor it's hard to see why there's so many boats in Central London.
Or it it a myth deigned to keep us Yorkshire Puddings away - bit like the Rochdale summit wolves.

Edited by Midnight

19 hours ago, captain flint said:

I guess I just meant the Paddington basin area itself has that kind of shiny corporate not very interesting vibe - to me. But I certainly don't think that of the area around, or little Venice. It's subjective, of course

No it’s not Upton but it’s safe, secure and best of all right in the middle of London for £12 might

7 hours ago, mark99 said:

Always very windy there in my experience.

paddington basin.jpg

Yes it’s windy which is another life saver in this weather!

4 hours ago, Midnight said:

On our first visit to London. We passed many scruffy boats with the usual rooftop scrap yard from Milton Keynes down to the M25. Then amazingly from Uxbridge down to Bulls Bridge and along the Paddington arm to Alperton hardly any by comparision. We actually got out of tickover for several miles. Going into Paddington next week so things will probably get busier. There were so many places (not exactly open countryside) to moor it's hard to see why there's so many boats in Central London.
Or it it a myth deigned to keep us Yorkshire Puddings away - bit like the Rochdale summit wolves.

A lot of weed , poly bags and rubbish in the canal after Bulls Bridge I visited the weed hatch 4 times to get off my overnight mooring at Alperton. No floating weed in central London despite there appearing to be no moving boats