Moorings

Traveller

Featured Posts

Having just ended a 6 year relationship with the Norfolk Broads, which we found crowded in season and with very limited navigable miles and moorings (especially moorings where one can loiter for a few days), we have now sold our Broads cruiser and the cash is in the bank awaiting the purchase of a narrowboat to replace the one we had for 20 years before venturing Norfolk-side!

Buying a boat brings with it the usual quest to find moorings and certainly rates do seem more favourable on the Broads, or some of the rates do anyway. It would appear that to moor a 45ft boat somewhere like Crick Marina, Gayton Marina etc. will cost around £1800 per annum. Are there any cheaper alternatives in that sort of area (Gayton, Crick, Whilton) that does not compromise on security too much? We have considered the Nene and the Fens but it is a drag getting from there back onto the cut.

Many thanks

Colin

It really does depend on what you want from a mooring.

Some marinas offer fantastic and immaculate facilities with superb shower blocks and club rooms. Others are just the basics.

At 45ft you should have quite a bit or choice.

All I would say, is visit plenty and talk to boaters on site to get a true picture.

Is Cooks Wharf (Cheddington) too far? There is a nice CRT mooring that keeps appearing on the auction website. It looks really nice and has all the facilities.

Except that the reserve price of a berth there in those mooring is £1,918, so is certainly not less that the £1,800 figure OP says they are trying to undercut.

I dont know if there is any space with Ahty and Nightwatch on the S Oxford at Forge Farm, it looked a bit empty when we passed yesterday.

Yep, you're correct. There are two vacancies at Forge Farm and one at the moorings just to the north of Claydon Locks on the Wharf there.

Martyn

Yes, Cropredy seems to filled up rather quickly. It must have had an impact on other mooring locations in the area.

As far as I'm aware, the vacancies at Clattercote are not a result of the marina at Cropredy.

I have enquired about diesel prices and the cost of a pump out there and they are not favourable.

Pump Out £16.00 and diesel for Domestic use is £1.05 a litre. Propulsion use would be in the region of £1.50 a litre.

Any views on these prices?

Martyn

Yes, Cropredy seems to filled up rather quickly. It must have had an impact on other mooring locations in the area.

As far as I'm aware, the vacancies at Clattercote are not a result of the marina at Cropredy.

I have enquired about diesel prices and the cost of a pump out there and they are not favourable.

Pump Out £16.00 and diesel for Domestic use is £1.05 a litre. Propulsion use would be in the region of £1.50 a litre.

Any views on these prices?

Martyn

I paid £20 for a pump out at Kate boats in Warwick, mind you he did a very thorough job flushing the tank.

I think if it's a good job then the cost is irrelevant, within reason of course.

It's a same the costs at Cropredy are such. Just trying to save a trip to Fenny Compton. Pump out there is £12.00.

But I don't plan to eat mu dinner off the bottom of my empty po tank