Possibility of VHF radios on canals

geoffwales

Featured Posts

Will be doing my vhf dsc licence soon, and been informed that the instruction and test next year will be a two day stint, as opposed to the one day one.

But my question is what is the possibility of vhf becoming either a legal requirement or a standard way of communicating on the canals in the near future.

Will be doing my vhf dsc licence soon, and been informed that the instruction and test next year will be a two day stint, as opposed to the one day one.

But my question is what is the possibility of vhf becoming either a legal requirement or a standard way of communicating on the canals in the near future.

With a few exceptions, which are mainly river navigations, I would think it is very unlikely that it will become a legal requirement, and indeed in my view it would totally unnecessary.

Good luck with your course.

Howard

Why would you need them on the canal

The only way I think this would ever happen is if some lunatic EU mandate dictated the requirement, in which case we would all ignore it anyway

Extremely unlikekely as not needed on the vast majority of the system.

Sadly we don't even need to listen on vhf any longer.

Edited by The Dog House

The only place that I know that its mandatory is the Thames through London for boats over 12m.

Its not even mandatory for boats at sea, useful yes mandatory no.

Edited by Loddon

I can see that VHF is a major safety item on commercial waterways such as the tidal Thames and Trent which are busy and also have reasonably large and faster moving vessels compared to a narrow boat. I can't see the point on the average canal.

Trent isnt busy anymore no gravelers anymore!! The S & SYN has the big boats now and thats only twice a week

Peter

The only place that I know that its mandatory is the Thames through London for boats over 12m.

Its not even mandatory for boats at sea, useful yes mandatory no.

Amazed at vhf not being required by law at sea, always had one on our sea going boat plus a back up.

col

Why would you need them on the canal

The only way I think this would ever happen is if some lunatic EU mandate dictated the requirement, in which case we would all ignore it anyway

Sad truth is that everyone else in Europe would probably ignore it but the UK would most likley implement it in full, along with a ministry of 10,000 civil servants to enforce it..

• Greenie 1

Trent isnt busy anymore no gravelers anymore!! The S & SYN has the big boats now and thats only twice a week

Peter

Depends which bit of the Trent you frequent. The lower sections are still busy with big shipping. After all there are still wharves at Flixborough, Burton Stather, Keadby and of course Goole on the Ouse.

There is a requirement on the lower Trent (below Gainsborough) for boats of a certain length (under which most narrowboats would fall) to carry and maintain a watch on the relevant VHF channel. There is clause which says that "small boats" dont require it but when you look through the descriptions section "small boats" would not include narrowboats.

Personally I think it madness to venture out onto a very tidal commercial waterway without VHF.

Sad truth is that everyone else in Europe would probably ignore it but the UK would most likley implement it in full, along with a ministry of 10,000 civil servants to enforce it..

Errr?

But you DO have to have VHF in most of the continental waterways, and if you have a vessel over 20m (15m in some countries) you must have two sets so you can communicate with other craft and with the navigational authority at the same time. They also have to be fitted with ATIS which identifies who is transmitting.

Tam

Hi peeps

here we go again. what is it with boaters and vhf? Its a waste of time on the narrow ditch system although my mate and I use it all the time to keep in touch when out pleasure boating.

It shouldnt need to be compulsory the course and the vhf set cost peanuts and is of great use on many uk waterways especialy thames,Trent etc you only have to pass thro Nottingham to realise how much benefit it is. Funnily enough why do most cruiser owners even of very small cheap cruisers have it onboard and yet most narrowboaters dont?

Forget being enforced to use one and just use common sense and buy one for use when needed jeeeeeeeesus.

Tim

Hi peeps

here we go again. what is it with boaters and vhf? Its a waste of time on the narrow ditch system although my mate and I use it all the time to keep in touch when out pleasure boating.

It shouldnt need to be compulsory the course and the vhf set cost peanuts and is of great use on many uk waterways especialy thames,Trent etc you only have to pass thro Nottingham to realise how much benefit it is. Funnily enough why do most cruiser owners even of very small cheap cruisers have it onboard and yet most narrowboaters dont?

Forget being enforced to use one and just use common sense and buy one for use when needed jeeeeeeeesus.

Tim

Hi Tim,

I don't know why you are getting touchy. Most people in this thread have more or less agreed with you and I don't think anyone has disagreed with the point you make about commercial rivers etc. They were just responding to a perfectly reasonable question.

Howard

Hi peeps

Tim

Easy tiger....bad shift on the princess????

Hi Tim,

I don't know why you are getting touchy. Most people in this thread have more or less agreed with you and I don't think anyone has disagreed with the point you make about commercial rivers etc. They were just responding to a perfectly reasonable question.

Howard

Actually i tend to agree with Tim on this one. I dont understand it either.

Buy a narrowboat worth x thousands of pounds yet quibble over buying a VHF set for £100 and spending £100 to get the licence to use it.

It is for your own safety

Actually i tend to agree with Tim on this one. I dont understand it either.

Buy a narrowboat worth x thousands of pounds yet quibble over buying a VHF set for £100 and spending £100 to get the licence to use it.

It is for your own safety

Can you explain why having a VHF on a narrow boat on the greatest proportion of the inland waterways adds anything to boaters safety? If you re-read the postings I think most people have acknowledged that on some waters there is no question that it is an essential piece of kit, but for most boaters they will never stray onto those waters.

Howard

Can you explain why having a VHF on a narrow boat on the greatest proportion of the inland waterways adds anything to boaters safety? If you re-read the postings I think most people have acknowledged that on some waters there is no question that it is an essential piece of kit, but for most boaters they will never stray onto those waters.

Howard

She's confused because "Narrow" Cal is too fat for most of the waterways in question ;)

/me runs very very fast

Agree,the cost is insignificant,compared with the cost of the boat. We use ours plus handheld for comunication on inland canals(on low power)For rivers,usefull to keep a check on whats going on. As has been said,many plastic boats have V.H.F.and use it.

Errr?

But you DO have to have VHF in most of the continental waterways, and if you have a vessel over 20m (15m in some countries) you must have two sets so you can communicate with other craft and with the navigational authority at the same time. They also have to be fitted with ATIS which identifies who is transmitting.

Tam

When it comes to the EU, the anti-brigade don't let little things like facts get in the way of a good old moan.

Do you still get weather reports on vhf ?, and yes i am aware its on every other type of media !

One only ever got the shipping forecast and inshore waters forecast, not general forecast on V.H.F. and still do, it is broadcast by MCA so it would not be recieved (and somewhat STR anyway) on many canals. I prefer my weather fax and navtex for that, perhaps NBs could have those too.